Pacific NW get together

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, if this winter is too much for you, perhaps you should consider living in a condo? Or moving someplace south where it is warmer. When I was a kid, most winters were like this one. Not like the previous 20 years or so, with mild weather and little snow if any in late fall and winter months. When I was a wee tyke, it snowed a lot more here (almost every winter) and winters were far worse. And if you think that last year's hurricane was bad, do a google search on the October or Columbus Day Storm. I am not sure how bad it was up in Seattle, but where we lived in Portland it just about leveled everything. Everyone was without power for at least 2 weeks. I remember walking to school over downed power lines.

Seriously... living in the woods is not for the meek or mild. I cannot believe that my ex is still living out there in the boonies. She was far more suited to living in a condo. One of our neighbors there was completely fed up with living out there, and he had his place for sale when I left. He wants to return to the safety and life of living in a condoplex. No mud, no floods, no fields to tend, trees to manage, roads to grade, snow to dig out of, yadda yadda.

you really need to know your audience before you toss out advice...

i don't live in the woods... 1/2 mile down this private road i am on is a golf course community... i have lived in places with more severe winters then this-- but the services are prepared for such weather. what this area is experiencing right now is rare... as to your advice on hurricanes-- i have no need to 'google' it-- i have lived 32 years in South Carolina where hurricanes are an annual part of the environment.

as to your remark that i should have a loaded weapon, Ha! you really need to know who you're talking to-- no one in their right mind would allow me to have a loaded weapon! my 'safety' remark was connected to the fact that several parts of the connecting structures here have collapsed from the weight of the snow and as the non-owner, i am unable to do a blasted thing! it is unnerving in the middle of the night to hear parts of the building your in collapsing...

condos? not for me...

Geez... I thought that you were out there in the woods from all the complaining. If you live on a golf course, I take back all the sympathy.

Also from the perspective of someone that has lived here for the better part of 50 some odd years, this is not that unusual for the weather. Its only the last 20 years or so that have been a lot more mild then before. We old timers talk about it a lot. The PNW newbies have been lulled into a sence of security. Or what their real estate agents have filled their heads with. The PNW has a history of a variety of 'not prepared for' events. Like Mt. St. Helens going off in 1980. The Columbus Day Storm in 1962. The Anchorage Earthquake in 1964 (took out Cannon Beach when I was a kid living there). The floods of 1964. The Tillimook fires of the 1950s and 1960s.

In other words, get used to the unexpected in this part of the universe. Its the norm.

Last edited:
Guilty by association! Golf anyone? orange balls should do it.

Hey, I live in gated community, but the gate's broken, so does that count?

Last edited:
Good grief! Gated communities and golf courses on a logger and tree butcher chainsaw site? :monkey:

Maybe Master Chainsaw Baiter was right about this site...

I am thinking of starting a company and selling all the new Portland and Seattle suburbian homeowners snow pitched roofs. This old house of my brother's is old enough to have one. Built in 1938.

Yup. At taco night tonight we discussed how winters used to be like this one. I recounted having to wallow through chest deep snow to the chairlift where we had to dig out the chairs before we could open and it was uphill both ways...then we toasted in the New Year because the TV said it was the New Year in London and Korea. It is snowing hard here tonight.

Well it's it's totaly past new years and I an completly out of Scotch! No matter that, I and that son in law of mine are really looking forward to seeing you all and some new bies ( spelling by blurry eyes) at the next GTG! Happy New Year To All..... Bob & "T".

Gloppy out this morning. I should call for a winter gathering. I trudged and scouted a small portion of the trail system that we stealth volunteers take care of and there's lots of limbs, vine maple, and alder strewn over it. Saw one moderately sized tree across it. There'll be more too. We'll have an unofficial work day on it when the snow melts. That way we can have a car relay too and I won't have to pack the Barbie Saw as far.

Happy New Year!!

Gloppy out this morning. I should call for a winter gathering. I trudged and scouted a small portion of the trail system that we stealth volunteers take care of and there's lots of limbs, vine maple, and alder strewn over it. Saw one moderately sized tree across it. There'll be more too. We'll have an unofficial work day on it when the snow melts. That way we can have a car relay too and I won't have to pack the Barbie Saw as far.

Happy New Year!!

Maybe you can make a little pack saddle for the Used Dog...he can carry your saw. Anthing would be better than those pastel panniers you had the poor guy wearing. :monkey:

Latest posts

Back