Partner 5000....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dono mine moves so fast you cant really tell the color.... I did just bus a 5105 and that is a nice saw and when I have some fuel through it , it may be better than the 5000. But I can tell you this for sure it is not a nimble in the woods as the Partner it's more blocky.

Sorry Robin I do not know the year and not sure how to tell. To make sure I wasn't confused again I just walked out through the snow to the back of the shop to double check it. Mine is a silver tag SN 5462222, no date on it like I seen on some of the other Partners. I have IPL for the 490 for 84 and 85. They both show the same part number for the recoils. The only 590 IPL I have is a 88 and it shows a different part number for the recoil housing.

Do you have any later 490 IPL's?

Looking at Magnus site, there is a 490 that is listed as a 84 and hard to see in the picture it appears to be a 3 screw cover.

You can see the 4 screw on mine... View attachment 631620

Ahhh......The Jonsered (s) numbering system says right on the tag the year...and by the two I have between 83 and 84 is when they dropped the S from Jonsereds.

I'll look through my IPLs and look for the years.....I have several large Tilton binders of IPLs. Unfortunately they are not all in order. I'm just guessing your 490 is a later one. I checked on Acres site and he says the 490 was produced from 82 to 89 but the 590 didn't come along until 86......perhaps when the 590 came out the four bolt recoil was given the 490 as well. That would kinda make sense. Perhaps my 590 is an 86...now I'll have look when I get to the shop today.

Sorry for the hijack of your Partner thread with all this Jonsered chatter Eric.........just another version of "All In The Family"......but by understanding the connections and your options when sourcing parts it's good to know you're not just limited to the yellow version.

I'll rebuild the carb if I can find a rebuild kit. After that ill see what I can do to it to increase some performance, maybe even a base gasket delete if there is enough room for it. Is there any other cylinders that fit this saw?

I think those saw came with a Walbro WA-158 carburetor. It uses a K-10WAT major repair kit and a D-10WAT kit just for the rubber. You can use aftermarket Chinese kits no problem.
If you plan to remove the metering arm to get at the needle, buy or borrow a Walbro metering gauge. I still have nightmares for trying to set a WA-25 out of an old Echo without the gauge... :laugh:

Personally I wouldn't touch the saw to obtain any "performance gain": not only spare parts are becoming harder to obtain but those saws have a good reputation and command decent prices... as long as they are in as close to stock conditions as age and lack of genuine spare parts allows.

Ahhh......The Jonsered (s) numbering system says right on the tag the year...and by the two I have between 83 and 84 is when they dropped the S from Jonsereds.

I'll look through my IPLs and look for the years.....I have several large Tilton binders of IPLs. Unfortunately they are not all in order. I'm just guessing your 490 is a later one. I checked on Acres site and he says the 490 was produced from 82 to 89 but the 590 didn't come along until 86......perhaps when the 590 came out the four bolt recoil was given the 490 as well. That would kinda make sense. Perhaps my 590 is an 86...now I'll have look when I get to the shop today.

Sorry for the hijack of your Partner thread with all this Jonsered chatter Eric.........just another version of "All In The Family"......but by understanding the connections and your options when sourcing parts it's good to know you're not just limited to the yellow version.
No worries, lots of good information. I'm a gear nut so it's all good stuff to read. Mine has a 3 bolt starter cover

No worries, lots of good information. I'm a gear nut so it's all good stuff to read. Mine has a 3 bolt starter cover
Remove the air filter cover and the air filter and look and see if there is a ign module mounted on the right side on top of the tank beside the carb. It probably don't as they were used only on the first couple of years like 80-81. The plastic brake handle is not a sure sign as they got swapped around over the years but the whole cover would have had to be changed.

Maybe post a couple pictures of it including the SN tag.

Remove the air filter cover and the air filter and look and see if there is a ign module mounted on the right side on top of the tank beside the carb. It probably don't as they were used only on the first couple of years like 80-81. The plastic brake handle is not a sure sign as they got swapped around over the years but the whole cover would have had to be changed.

Maybe post a couple pictures of it including the SN tag.
I had it off yesterday trying to get it going and I don't recall anything where you metioned. Is the 1 piece better or worse?

I think only a couple of the saws I own have the date right on the SN tags and off hand they are early 81-82 models or such. Most do not have the date and the later ones have the Husqvarna style date encoded into them. I never bothered to picture the tags for my own records with the pictures of the saws, I might do that soon.

I would not be surprised to find your correct that they probably switched the 490 to the 4 bolt cover when the 590 came out as like you say, that makes sense. Electolux was in charge of things at that time and a lot of things were changing around and not everything was making sense.

Here some pictures of the old girl

Attachments

• 20180210_090454.jpg
    20180210_090454.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
  • 20180210_090501.jpg
    20180210_090501.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • 20180210_090519.jpg
    20180210_090519.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 31
I dono mine moves so fast you cant really tell the color.... I did just bus a 5105 and that is a nice saw and when I have some fuel through it , it may be better than the 5000. But I can tell you this for sure it is not a nimble in the woods as the Partner it's more blocky.

I had a 5100 at one time. Lot of folks love them and they run good. Like you said, I didn't like the handling of it and I hated the Stihl type master control lever on it, even though the Dolmar had the choke and stop in the right orientation compared to the Stihl.

That said the 5100 will have little or nothing in performance advantage compared to a good 5000.

I had just received my Partner 5500H from Denmark when I had the chance to go to Wigg's GTG in west Kentucky. The 5100 and the 346xp NE were the new wiz bang 50cc saws that had everyone lathered up at the time but for fun I raced the 5500H against them and the old Partner didn't just win it whipped them pretty good. Yeah the 5500 had a couple extra cc's on them but look at the age difference.

Here some pictures of the old girl

Hmm plastic brake handle, no lower handle brace, I really can't see the top cover decal well enough to see if it says 500 or 5000. Defiantly a early saw by the color of the yellow and the front located serial number.

Does the clutch cover look original to it? Might not even be a 5000 and might be the 500

Can anyone get me any info from that serial number....

I wish I could but I cannot. There is a SN list of lots of these over at Magnus site and it might help nail down the years but maybe not the model. Maybe post yours over there as those guys are sharp on these old Partners, but they should be, its where they came from. :laugh:

You need to check for the ign module as to if it has one or not.

I did some research and they claim the 5000 makes 2.3 kw which converts to 3hp. Not sure how good that is compared to other 50cc saws

Back