Partner 5000....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a clean saw. I hope mine will clean up that nice. Is there any tricks I should when I rebuild I carb or is it pretty straight forward
I only posted the picture so you could see the lower handle brace and the chain brake style that was used on the non plus 5000's..

It's hard to tell today what is what as the saws are so old, who knows what might have been swapped out over the years with them. I "think" the lower handle brace was standard on all 5000's but I cannot prove that some of the very first ones didn't have it and that is why I was asking for you to check on the ign module as that would help date it.

The carbs are pretty straight forward, early saws like said had a WA carb and later they also had WT carbs. Look at the WA number on the carb when you take it off, that can help date things also.

Some of the early WA carbs actually had governors on them, you can tell by the brass screw in plug on them with a screw driver slot on top.

If you don't have one, I would suggest investing in the Walbro lever gauge, it makes it easy to set the inlet needle lever height. They are only a couple bucks and can be found lots of places and usually on ebay. If you mess with saws at all its a good tool to have.

I have info on cuts made with 5000 + and the newer saws with 3/8 saved. I will dig it up. But they run right there with the new stuff out then. 5100 346 NE etc.

5000 was way ahead of their time IMO. Also made good race saws. Plus the folks at husky dealers was using the tops on their husky 50 specials and calling them magnums.

Back in 2012

Here is some of the saws ran in 12" hardwood today.

stock husky 346xp 50cc 3/8 7T 5.63 5.62

stock dolmar 5105 with 5100 muffler, 3/8 7T 5.59 5.50

stock partner 5000 , 3/8 7T 5.47 5.84

stock 357xp, 3/8 7T 4.29 4.34 56.5cc

I just love 3/8 on the saws when they have the guts to pull it.
grin.gif

Back in 2012

Here is some of the saws ran in 12" hardwood today.

stock husky 346xp 50cc 3/8 7T 5.63 5.62

stock dolmar 5105 with 5100 muffler, 3/8 7T 5.59 5.50

stock partner 5000 , 3/8 7T 5.47 5.84

stock 357xp, 3/8 7T 4.29 4.34 56.5cc

I just love 3/8 on the saws when they have the guts to pull it.
grin.gif
Seems like the partner holds it own for a 30 years old saw

I think only a couple of the saws I own have the date right on the SN tags and off hand they are early 81-82 models or such. Most do not have the date and the later ones have the Husqvarna style date encoded into them. I never bothered to picture the tags for my own records with the pictures of the saws, I might do that soon.

I would not be surprised to find your correct that they probably switched the 490 to the 4 bolt cover when the 590 came out as like you say, that makes sense. Electolux was in charge of things at that time and a lot of things were changing around and not everything was making sense.

I did a little looking around when I was at the shop yesterday. My 590 is an 87 and has the black tag with the Husky numbering system. The two 490s have the earlier Jonsereds system. Then I went looking for IPLs from different years. I found a 490 IPL from 1985 and a 590 IPL from 1986. Moreover I also found a 490 series of Service Bulletins dated 2/20/1986. One of interest states.....
" There is now a fourth fastening screw in the starter apparatus (motor no. 51 61 157 and subsequent nos.) The starter apparatus still has its old part no.
The no. for the air ventilation control with holes for the four fastening now has a new no. 503 13 47 01. The parts can be mounted on earlier machines."

They run pretty well considering their age. I just bought my first new saw in 33 years a few weeks ago . Till then I have really run the Partner almost exclusively since I was very young. The first saw I ever had was a Jonsered 510 sp,.. in my opinion a very under built saw. It was constantly falling apart so in either 83 or 84 I bought my first 5000+.IMG_0189.JPG

I did a little looking around when I was at the shop yesterday. My 590 is an 87 and has the black tag with the Husky numbering system. The two 490s have the earlier Jonsereds system. Then I went looking for IPLs from different years. I found a 490 IPL from 1985 and a 590 IPL from 1986. Moreover I also found a 490 series of Service Bulletins dated 2/20/1986. One of interest states.....
" There is now a fourth fastening screw in the starter apparatus (motor no. 51 61 157 and subsequent nos.) The starter apparatus still has its old part no.
The no. for the air ventilation control with holes for the four fastening now has a new no. 503 13 47 01. The parts can be mounted on earlier machines."
Good job, those service bulletins are nice to have. If all the saws got black tags in 87 that confuses me some as my silver tag 490 Serial number is 301065 higher then the 5161157 shown in the SB. IDK but I find it hard to believe they made at minimum 301065 490's in one year. Maybe other models had SN in that range too?

Robin, as far as I know all the North American 5000 were closed port,(mine is) I was just telling that in Europe that might not be the case from what I have been told from some Europeans. As far as the details you note being different on the 590, Partners also got the same upgrades. Actually my 490 has the 4 screw recoil.

There were also others after like I said, the Poulan Pro 325, the Partner 540, Partner 5500, Jobu 949 and the last was the Partner 543. There was also a Formula 500 at one time but it escapes me what was different about it. It might have been a 45mm open port. I have them all save 949 and 543 which along with the 540 and 5500 were Europe only saws. I also do not have the Formula 500 which is rare in north america and seems to have been mostly Europe.

When the Partner 500 came out it set the standard for 50cc saws and held that title for years and years.

Hi Mark,
I have a 540 cylinder and a 55 cylinder on the shelve. The 540 has a smaller chamber an no decomp. Thats what you see on first sight.
Mahle 46 ZD 5 (the 540)
And Mahle 46 ZD 3 (the 55)

There were even domed 5000 +pistons. I've got a salvagable one. Much variety ! :-D
Max

Hi Mark,
I have a 540 cylinder and a 55 cylinder on the shelve. The 540 has a smaller chamber an no decomp. Thats what you see on first sight.
Mahle 46 ZD 5 (the 540)
And Mahle 46 ZD 3 (the 55)

There were even domed 5000 +pistons. I've got a salvagable one. Much variety ! :-D
Max

Hi Max, I'm sure you are correct, much variety for sure is what I have been told before, especially from European collectors.
That said, its been a while but at one time I spent a lot of time doing the paper trail on these cylinders and the numbers used on these Husqvarna 51 and 55 is very long and vary by years and a lot of the numbers all supersede to a common number

That said, maybe I should have been a bit more specific as far as the IPL's showing the Partner 540 and Husqvarna 55 show the same part number for both. This is written down in print and is a fact. Not all 55 Huskys had a decomp as well.

If my 540 has a different combustion chamber that would help explain why it runs so much stronger then any 55 Husky I have had or run.

Hi Mark,
Same part number does not automatically mean that the saw was sold with the part. As you said, superseding.
Both cylinders on my shalf have different mahle numbers, that's for shure. The cylinder in my running 540 also has a small chamber. Runs good ! But the 5000+ is my favourite.

So I dug into the saw a little bit today. Come to find out the fuel line was no good so I replace it but I ran into another problem. The return line that flows back to the tank (or what ever it's called) was also no good. It has a little gromit that fits into the top of the tank is bad and needs to be replace but I can't seem to find that kit of fuel line with that gromit.the saw might run after I can get that line on it. I'm pretty interested to find out how well it'll run

Hi Mark,
Same part number does not automatically mean that the saw was sold with the part. As you said, superseding.
Both cylinders on my shalf have different mahle numbers, that's for shure. The cylinder in my running 540 also has a small chamber. Runs good ! But the 5000+ is my favourite.

That is true!

All I know is that I have 3 540 IPLs 1992, 1995 and 1999 and they all show the same P/C numbers. It was the Husky numbers I found that changed so much, and not closed port ones. I don't plan on pulling my 540 down just to see the cylinder.

The 5500 and Poulan Pro 325 were the best as far as my favorite.

So I dug into the saw a little bit today. Come to find out the fuel line was no good so I replace it but I ran into another problem. The return line that flows back to the tank (or what ever it's called) was also no good. It has a little gromit that fits into the top of the tank is bad and needs to be replace but I can't seem to find that kit of fuel line with that gromit.the saw might run after I can get that line on it. I'm pretty interested to find out how well it'll run

That second line is the tank vent. There should be a filter/check valve that goes into it then another line loops up through the bulkhead and back into the case in front of it.

I have a bag of probably 25 of those grommets and I was looking for them not too long ago for a 500 that I resurrected, but for the life of me I could not find them.

Get to get my 5500 running !
I'll try to find a Piston here in Germany. Pp 325 are still sold in the US, aren't they ?
I remember we discussed that years ago ! :-D

I can't seem to find a place that sells partner 5000 parts. Can anyone point me in the right direction?I want to clean this saw up real nice and get it going. I need the vent line hose and a possible carb kit. Maybe even a piston and ring to freshin it up. Once I get it going I want to dual port the muffler. I want to do a base gasket delete as well and that'll be it for what I'll do with it. First I need to find a place I can get parts from, there doesn't seem to be alot of options....

I did a compression Check, 180psi. After a closer look I see that the top fins on the cylinder is cracked and a small piece broken. I think it'll ok though. Although 4 fins on the fly wheel is broke off. Not sure if this will effect cooling or not

Back