Partner 5000....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run them sometimes, common parts are not that hard to find really. They share sprockets, clutches intake sleeves, impluse seals etc with the Husky 50-55's. For 500 pistons and ring, a 44 mm Husky 350 works crank seals are standard metric, 15x26x4. Some parts are still available from Husqvarna/Poulan. I have some parts saws and some NOS parts packed away, AV mounts recoil springs etc.

Have fun with them.. Here is a 81 500 with the Ignitron ignView attachment 632170

Yep I agree....if it's been started once you might as well use it and enjoy. Things go to pot from sitting just as fast, if not faster than by using. I just went through one of my 490s a few months back, new ring, crank seals, carb kit/fuel line/filter etc. I'm certain I used the standard Husky crank seals 505 27 57-19.....

chainswr.com also has the 490 pistons......I'm not positive but I believe them to be from VEC in India. The 49sp pistons they make are of excellent fit and finish but the distance between the wristpin bosses is way to wide. I should buy a 490 piston just to check it out.....

Stock NOS oem Jred 590 cyl . They used 2 styles, the norm closed port and this one that looks modified closed port. But it is factory oem.

Scott has been selling aftermarket 5000 pistons for years now it seems.

View attachment 632209

Hmmmm that's interesting....I've never had the cyl off my 590 so I don't know what that looks like.....but it's one a hell of a lot zippier than either of my 490's...even the fresh one with the muffler opened up a tad. More than one would expect from a simple 1 MM bore increase using the same carb.....that might explain it.

And the ports look different than the ones of the closed port 46mm meteor cylinder kits for the husky 55.
I still wonder if these am kits can be ported to be as hot as the p5500 :-D On the other hand, the AM kit transfer design might be even worse than the original open port cylinder the early 5000 had.
I don't know.

Dan just bought a 5000+ today, its now at my place....LOL

I wonder what cylinder I will find on this saw when I tear it down later this week.? After digging around in my spare parts stuff I think everything is there to get this one going. NOS upper front AV mount and a NOS complete recoil , rest of the saw looks fine, only dirty.

Ha, that's like me, forgetting what I have.. LOL Some folks may not know it but Poulan still has that piston available.

I have a NOS 5500 piston I picked up off ebay some years ago for less then that aftermarket Hyway piston. As long as I have a couple saws that use it, I planned on keeping it around. If I ever run across a Poulan Pro 325 type II I plan on picking one of them up also.

Yep I agree....if it's been started once you might as well use it and enjoy. Things go to pot from sitting just as fast, if not faster than by using. I just went through one of my 490s a few months back, new ring, crank seals, carb kit/fuel line/filter etc. I'm certain I used the standard Husky crank seals 505 27 57-19.....

chainswr.com also has the 490 pistons......I'm not positive but I believe them to be from VEC in India. The 49sp pistons they make are of excellent fit and finish but the distance between the wristpin bosses is way to wide. I should buy a 490 piston just to check it out.....

Yes I know Scott has the 490 pistons but that one on ebay looks terrible from the picture and was wondering where it came from. That same seller was also selling the 49sp pistons so maybe it comes from the same place and they just used a different picture for it, I would hope so.

Scott asked me years ago not to buy from him. I ordered a Jonsereds 930 top cover and I received a 920 when I wanted to return it, he tried to tell me that the 920 and 930 top covers were the same and I would have to pay the return shipping if I wanted to return it. I told him that wasn't happening, I wasn't paying for his mistakes and he finally just refunded my money and told me to keep the cover and not to buy from him again.

I know Arrowhead and some other folks went through the same type of deals with him, sending the wrong parts then telling them he sent the right ones, so I don't need to deal with him again. As long as you get the right parts to begin with when you order from him, things are fine..

Just find it hard to believe that he is the only one to get those pistons from..

I'm horrible at remembering numbers but I think those crank seals were a 575 or 576 Pto side seal but don't remember which one..

They are easier for me just to get from the bearing house I use and cheaper to boot. I think I ordered a dozen the last time.

Hmmmm that's interesting....I've never had the cyl off my 590 so I don't know what that looks like.....but it's one a hell of a lot zippier than either of my 490's...even the fresh one with the muffler opened up a tad. More than one would expect from a simple 1 MM bore increase using the same carb.....that might explain it.

When I was over to Arrowheads place some years back, he showed me a 590 cyl and a Husky 55 closed port cyl. The 590 had a much smaller combustion chamber then the 55 closed port did. The semi closed port 590 cyl is like the 930 Jonsereds cyl in that regard and is what I was talking about earlier and was going to do to a 5000 closed port and run with a non windowed piston.

IDK but have been told the non windowed piston runs better with this type of transfer setup. All I know is Joey has some wicked 55 closed ports running this way.

Yes I know Scott has the 490 pistons but that one on ebay looks terrible from the picture and was wondering where it came from. That same seller was also selling the 49sp pistons so maybe it comes from the same place and they just used a different picture for it, I would hope so.

Scott asked me years ago not to buy from him. I ordered a Jonsereds 930 top cover and I received a 920 when I wanted to return it, he tried to tell me that the 920 and 930 top covers were the same and I would have to pay the return shipping if I wanted to return it. I told him that wasn't happening, I wasn't paying for his mistakes and he finally just refunded my money and told me to keep the cover and not to buy from him again.

I know Arrowhead and some other folks went through the same type of deals with him, sending the wrong parts then telling them he sent the right ones, so I don't need to deal with him again. As long as you get the right parts to begin with when you order from him, things are fine..

Just find it hard to believe that he is the only one to get those pistons from..

I'm horrible at remembering numbers but I think those crank seals were a 575 or 576 Pto side seal but don't remember which one..

They are easier for me just to get from the bearing house I use and cheaper to boot. I think I ordered a dozen the last time.

I've heard of that happening but have not had that problem myself.....but haven't bought from him much more than a half dozen times. He's top dollar for used stuff so I look everywhere else first.....and used stuff is used stuff...always a gamble buying sight unseen...one item might be great...the same item, different day might just be worn out junk.

The carb says wa82a on it. According to the parts diagram the is a little bottle type thing that comes out of the tank and then a vent line, fuel filter, another vent line that has a gromit . Mine is missing that bottle. It just had a vent line coming out. Not sure if I need that bottle or not but they don't make it anymore

Ha, that's like me, forgetting what I have.. LOL Some folks may not know it but Poulan still has that piston available.

I have a NOS 5500 piston I picked up off ebay some years ago for less then that aftermarket Hyway piston. As long as I have a couple saws that use it, I planned on keeping it around. If I ever run across a Poulan Pro 325 type II I plan on picking one of them up also.
I have a 325, could you please tell me the differences between and how to determine if it's a type 1 or 2?

I have a 325, could you please tell me the differences between and how to determine if it's a type 1 or 2?

I forget details a lot, but does your 325 have a chainbrake? That was the main thing that was different was the chainbrake being added. The tag on the back of the tank should say type II as well.

Like I said mine is a type one and non chainbrake.
100_3005 (Medium).JPG

Check out the tags and 2 different serial numbers. It appears a Partner SN on the metal tag and a Poulan serial number on the sticker.

100_3025 (Medium).JPG

The carb says wa82a on it. According to the parts diagram the is a little bottle type thing that comes out of the tank and then a vent line, fuel filter, another vent line that has a gromit . Mine is missing that bottle. It just had a vent line coming out. Not sure if I need that bottle or not but they don't make it anymore

That so called bottle is a tank check valve. You can get it through Poulan under Poulan Pro .325 parts. You can do without the tank grommet if you want to just pull the right size line through the hole or like I said before to use a electrical grommet from the hardware, but that is probably available through Poulan as well.

You could also use a common Echo type vent valve on the end of the line. Go to ebay and search Echo tank vent..

I forget details a lot, but does your 325 have a chainbrake? That was the main thing that was different was the chainbrake being added. The tag on the back of the tank should say type II as well.

Like I said mine is a type one and non chainbrake.
View attachment 632494

Check out the tags and 2 different serial numbers. It appears a Partner SN on the metal tag and a Poulan serial number on the sticker.

View attachment 632495
Mine has a plastic handle chainbrake and four screw starter cover. Thanks for the info.

Good job, those service bulletins are nice to have. If all the saws got black tags in 87 that confuses me some as my silver tag 490 Serial number is 301065 higher then the 5161157 shown in the SB. IDK but I find it hard to believe they made at minimum 301065 490's in one year. Maybe other models had SN in that range too?

I did a little more looking ....it seems that of the three Jonsered(s) of this family I have there are also three different numbering systems. The first, a Jonsereds 490 being a 1983 with a four digit number of 6503.....the second, a Jonsered 490 being a 1984 with 6 digit number of 005994 and the third a Jonsered 590 being a 1987 with the regular Husqvarna number numbering system stating the year, week and number unit that week. I don't what any of this means but find it rather odd......guess there was as much confusion at the factories back then as there is now..........

Back