Partner 5000....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a little more looking ....it seems that of the three Jonsered(s) of this family I have there are also three different numbering systems. The first, a Jonsereds 490 being a 1983 with a four digit number of 6503.....the second, a Jonsered 490 being a 1984 with 6 digit number of 005994 and the third a Jonsered 590 being a 1987 with the regular Husqvarna number numbering system stating the year, week and number unit that week. I don't what any of this means but find it rather odd......guess there was as much confusion at the factories back then as there in now..........

j490tag-jpg.631746

With this saw cleaned up and running what should it be worth? I might sell or trade it depending on how much or what it is, let me know if any of you partner fan are Interested

Sorry Robin I do not know the year and not sure how to tell. To make sure I wasn't confused again I just walked out through the snow to the back of the shop to double check it. Mine is a silver tag SN 5462222, no date on it like I seen on some of the other Partners. I have IPL for the 490 for 84 and 85. They both show the same part number for the recoils. The only 590 IPL I have is a 88 and it shows a different part number for the recoil housing.

Do you have any later 490 IPL's?

Looking at Magnus site, there is a 490 that is listed as a 84 and hard to see in the picture it appears to be a 3 screw cover.

You can see the 4 screw on mine... View attachment 631620
IIRC, Didn't I send you an owners manual from my Jonsereds 490 which had been stolen. Seems to me it was a clone to the Partner 5000. 13,500 was an efficient & safe RPM level for that very nice little saw!

IIRC, Didn't I send you an owners manual from my Jonsereds 490 which had been stolen. Seems to me it was a clone to the Partner 5000. 13,500 was an efficient & safe RPM level for that very nice little saw!

I had forgot about it, but I believe you did, I appreciated it and thank you again. I know I scanned it and sent it to other folks over the years too. The 490 was indeed a Partner 5000+ but they used there own top covers and choke setup on them.

After you have run them and get to know what they can do they become more value than just monetary. At least they do to me I have heated my home and family and other family's since 1984 with one of mine that will still cut well today. I would bet it would out preform many new $300.00 saws to this day and mine is 33 years old. To each his own I guess, to some... if it isn't Orange, Red or Cream colored it just aint any good.

They will outperform many 600.00 saws today.

It’s not about the maximum hp, it’s about the nature of the power and the balance and handling. My 590’s only suffer (slightly) in the antivibe department. They are just sweet saws to run.

IMO, anyway.

The 590’s just bear down and pull when the going gets tough. I don’t know about the other models in the series.

And what could be nicer than magnesium end-to-end?

It's it about weather it's a good saw or not. It's about having a saw I can use without having to worry about breaking. Parts are limited for these things as I'm finding. I do get it holeycow, I'm not a collector. I paid for this saw so I'm not going to give it away. Im Sure they are awesome saws

I would really like something like a husqvarna 357xp, or maybe a 262xp. Something on the mid size saw and easy to get parts....

This partner hasn't been ran in years. It still has the original partner bar and a Windsor 58j chain. That chain was discontinued years ago

Some more news, it's a closed port cylinder as well. How big of a difference in power is it from the open port to the closed port?

I really not sure what to do about this vent line setup on these partner 5000s. I can seem to find any kind of grommet that'll fit it. I really want to get this saw up and usable. Who knows maybell I like it enough to run the piss out of it....

That would be a big help, let me know
I see that the 490 has a little vent tank and the partner doesnt. Wonder what the deal with that is. Check out the parts diagrams

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180218-013812.png
    Screenshot_20180218-013812.png
    471.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20180218-013945.png
    Screenshot_20180218-013945.png
    989.5 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back