Partner Chainsaw Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If its for you and you have no luck I think I have a used one not sure of the model but it is from 65 cc saw.Price is free but ships from Canada I can not do my usual and go to USA and mail due to covid. The border is only half hour away sure miss my USA shopping.
I really like the Partner saws.
Kash

If its for you and you have no luck I think I have a used one not sure of the model but it is from 65 cc saw.Price is free but ships from Canada I can not do my usual and go to USA and mail due to covid. The border is only half hour away sure miss my USA shopping.
I really like the Partner saws.
Kash
Thanks Kash....I'll keep that in mind if I can't find anything closer. Not to pressing an issue but the flocking on this one is nearly gone and it has a hole in the fabric, so a replacement is needed. I'll keep an eye on ebay.

When I was in high school (late 90's) my dad and I use to cut firewood with a Partner S55. He stopped using it and bought a Stihl MS250 when he said the bar on the Partner was getting really worn and he was told replacement bars were very hard to find.

The S55 sat in the corner of the shop until about 5 years ago he said he was going to take it to a pawn shop because he wanted the shop cleaned out. I told him a pawn shop would likely only give him $20 for an old saw with a worn out bar and that I would store it in my garage if he really wanted the clean space that bad.

Now I am cutting firewood for my current house which has caused him to comeback out in the woods with me. He has stated a few times that he thought the MS250 would have been a comparable saw to the S55, but he was never happy that it didn't have the power. My GF found the S55 in the barn a couple months ago and was slightly upset because she thought I was trying to hide "another chainsaw" from her. I told her the story and that I had it because I was planning on getting it running someday. That didn't help her mood very much because now instead of "another chainsaw", I had "another project".

With all of that in mind, I decided it would be a good idea to get the old S55 running and give it back to my dad at Christmas this year. I started on the project this weekend, and surprisingly the saw appears to be in great shape!

The bar is an old Windsor bar and it looks like the rails started to spread apart. It looks like my dad ground on the outside because the rails had gotten wider than the chain. I also found that one of chains is a .050 gauge instead of .058 gauge like the other chains and the bar. I ordered a new Carlton large Husky mount bar that should fit according to my research.

I also took the carb apart and put a kit in it as it's been sitting for 15-20 years. Surprisingly it didn't look very bad inside at all. I need to stop and get some new fuel line and I think I will be ready to try and fire it up.

Here are some pictures of what I started with. I forgot to take some after I spent a few hours cleaning it.

1637004700385.png

1637004720949.png

1637004741448.png

1637004766111.png

1637004790004.png

I got the S55 all fixed up and it runs great!

I am having an issue with the new bar, maybe someone can give me some advice. I read that Partners use large Husky mounts, so that is what kind of bar I ordered. The old bar had two sets of hole that the chain adjuster can align with. One set of holes and one set of slots actually. The new bar only has a set of holes but they match the forward position holes in the old bar. The old bar used the rearward positioned slots. To use the forward holes, I have to move the chain adjuster to almost the end of its travel. The bar says it needs 68 drive links on the chain so that is the chain I bought. I'm afraid that as the chain stretches I will run out of adjustment. I'm thinking about ordering a 67 drive link chain to move the adjuster back to the middle of the travel. Anyone see any problems with this? The last picture shows the chain adjuster position with a brand new chain.

1638411979421.png

1638412070448.png

1638412137378.png

make sure that the oil hole of the guide does not go beyond the area where the saw is oiling, because it is different
Thanks for reminding me, I forgot to say this in my post. I did look at this and the oil hole is close to the end of the slot in the saw. I think a shorter chain would help this also.

Back