Pawn shop scores

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramdad

Saw handler
Reaction score
So, my family and I took some Christmas cash and went pawn store hopping. 4 pawn shops later, no bike for junior, no saws for me. My daughter found no trinkets, my teenager found nothing interesting or reasonably priced. He looked at old fishing rods for $25, no thanks. 2 chainsaws, 1 stihl ms 170 for the cheap price of $260 and a Dewalt cordless saw, no battery for $200. The last pawn shop offered a little hope, no chainsaws but it had a partner concrete wheel cut off saw for 175. I bought a 16 guage air nailer a Paslode air stapler and a Dewalt palm sander for $100. Junior saw a bicycle, well seasoned and broken in for $170 that we might go after for parts tomorow. Mostly everything else was second hand abused at new store prices. The first place really was a waste becuase the guy was out to lunch and not very patient when my teenager was asking about fishing tackle. That is all part of the bargain hunt. If pics needed, I will post pics of my scores. If anyone has some pawn shop scores recently, please, by all means share them. It is uplifting to hear. Good luck hunting.

My dad picked up a good running ms460 about a year ago for 200.00. I have not checked into any for a long while. The local pawn shop up town is closing in a couple months. They want more for a wildthing than one was new. The place is a joke!

The prices at my local pawn shop are crazy too, for the most part. They do make mistakes sometimes, so I still go in and browse now and then. About 3 years ago I got a 2152 Jonsered for $118. I stuck a few bucks into it, but I use it as my main limbing saw now, so I think I did pretty good.

I have gotten dozens of great deals on items at pawnshops, everything from tools to chainsaws. I took the time to cultivate relationships with about half a dozen shops and always was ready to pay cash. I suspect I turned down deals most people would've jumped at. Deals are out there if you look.

I've made several great deals at pawn shops but as stated, most are ridiculously overpriced. Just have to know what something's worth and not be afraid to offer a lower price. Even a WAY lower price will sometimes get it out the door. On a saw, you're much more likely to get a deal on a large commercial saw than on a small one.

I haven't found a deal on a chain saw at a pawn shop locally for a LONG time. Used to be that one could find good deals on used guns at Pawn shops. Now, those are few and far between too.

So I just found a cool site when I was checking prices on a trimmer im selling and came across this site that seams to be a central listing site for pawn shops to participate on. There are tons of saws and from what I saw the prices aren't at all that bad and shipping on them is like $30 with bar and all (probably not taking it down) I am NOT a member of this site or getting anything for promoting it. Many might even know about it already (i just discovered it tonight). Buya.com. pretty cool and you can search by zip to see if any are local, some have pick up in store only.

Back