People don't yet take battery operated chainsaws seriously.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No way would I ever buy a Tesla because I don't finance anything and besides, they aren't sold here in Michigan anyway.

It's possible to buy a Tesla without financing, and buy from out of state.

If you don't want a Tesla or an EV, that alone is reason enough to not get one, and certainly doesn't have to be justified.

They have a pretty sizable advantage out of the hole over anything ICE due to the instant torque and no parasitic losses in drive train.
I have an attorney friend who has a pretty new Tesla sport model which is supposed to turn incredible thousand foot times but it still does not compare to my son's gasser that lifts one of it's front wheel off the line. I have been building high performance street cars for sixty years and enjoy the process. We very much enjoy getting up Saturday morning and driving a few miles to our Coffee and Cars show in La Quinta CA. No sign of any Teslas there. Thanks

I have a pretty large Timber project that I could use a battery powered saw to cut all the logs but at the moment using electric power is not practical. Unless there were huge benefits going electric there will only be gas powered equipment for the foreseeable future. Thanks

I have a pretty large Timber project that I could use a battery powered saw to cut all the logs but at the moment using electric power is not practical. Unless there were huge benefits going electric there will only be gas powered equipment for the foreseeable future. Thanks

Bet there are more electric saws sold today than gas saws.

Electric isn't for everyone, but to say there will only be gas powered equipment for the foreseeable future isn't accurate either.

Bet there are more electric saws sold today than gas saws.

Electric isn't for everyone, but to say there will only be gas powered equipment for the foreseeable future isn't accurate either.
I know plenty of people with Electric battery and plug in that are quite happy for the occasional tree trimming and breaking down fallen branches. Then they call someone in if it's something big.
I would think it's a big market since how many people even deal with anything big/tall on their own.

I would hate to cut up a 30"+ ash with electric when my gas saw is so quick.
But these battery saws are certainly leaps and bounds from the old ones.
Will need to try out a decent sized one eventually.

I have an attorney friend who has a pretty new Tesla sport model which is supposed to turn incredible thousand foot times but it still does not compare to my son's gasser that lifts one of it's front wheel off the line. I have been building high performance street cars for sixty years and enjoy the process. We very much enjoy getting up Saturday morning and driving a few miles to our Coffee and Cars show in La Quinta CA. No sign of any Teslas there. Thanks
If you've seen the EV thread on this forum you would know I'm not one to stick up for EV. And i get the satisfaction of building your own car and running it. But the fact is, the top Tesla Model can and will outrun all but one or 2 production built cars. The Plaid model consistently turns 1/4 mile times in the mid 9's. There is a guy on YT that did something like 40+ passes back to back on a single charge. All passes were under 10 seconds. His last pass the battery capacity read 20% and still ran in the 9's. That's pretty dang impressive.

There was a tiny electric converted Datsun near here, called the White Zombie. The guy who owns it used to embarrass big block muscle cars. Front wheels off the ground, sub 2 second 0-60 times. A decade? ago, long before Tesla was a big deal.

Edit: Here we go.

A ) Fuel's energy density :
The amount of energy ( expressed in Joules ) that is stored in a material per unit of mass
(kilograms).

Wood is releasing about 34x the energy
of a lithium ion battery .Gasoline is storing
about 90 times more energy than a lithium ion
battery ,per mass unit.

https://transportgeography.org/cont...ation-and-energy/combustibles-energy-content/
B ) Motor efficiency
How much of the fuel's stored energy per
mass unit turns into kinetic energy .
Fuel stored energy = kinetic energy +heat

Motor/engine efficiency = kinetic energy /( kinetic energy + Heat) .

Small two-stroke gasoline engines can
have a efficiency rating up to 0.75
( usually around 0.4 to 0.55 ) .

Modern electric motors usually have
an efficiency rating more than 0.75 .

Electric motors are more efficient transforming
chemical energy into kinetic ,than the internal
combustion engines are.
But the amount of stored energy modern
batteries can have (per mass unit ) is ridiculously low .

Choose your weapon .

🤔

View attachment 1079752

A quick search shows 3 dealerships statewide.
I don't buy that because under Michigan law if a manufacturer don't have a manufacturing presence in the state, they cannot sell their cars at retail. The might be multi line dealers but no way are they Tesla only dealers. Cannot do it and I didn't make the law.

Won't buy one anyway. I don't do 'toaster cars' in the first place.

Small two-stroke gasoline engines can
have a efficiency rating up to 0.75
( usually around 0.4 to 0.55 ) .
By 0.75, do you mean 75% efficient? Want to make sure I steel-man your argument before I disagree with you.

The very biggest two stroke marine diesels barely crack 50% efficiency, and turbines with exhaust power recovery systems can crack 60%. I'd be very skeptical that a small handheld engine gets anywhere close to even that level.

I go to the gas station and buy a can of gas. That gas will fuel every saw I have (I may have to mix different oil ratios). And that is the problem with battery tools. Well, half of the problem... manufacturers should standardize batteries so that they're all interchangeable. I get that manufacturers want to trap you into their ecosystem, so I am modifying my libertarianism and calling for regulations to to that.
The other half of the problem is manufacturers doing everything they can to make it impossible to repair the batteries. Often only one or two cells fail and the battery could be repaired for a reasonable cost. Make those standardized batteries repairable.
Now I have to be careful to not hurt myself climbing down from my soapbox.

I don't buy that because under Michigan law if a manufacturer don't have a manufacturing presence in the state, they cannot sell their cars at retail. The might be multi line dealers but no way are they Tesla only dealers. Cannot do it and I didn't make the law.

Won't buy one anyway. I don't do 'toaster cars' in the first place.
Having been a dealer in Michigan, I've got to call you out on that. No such rule.
You may be misinterpreting the rule that generally prohibits direct sales by a manufacturer.
See https://legislature.mi.gov/(S(3e00a...g.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-445-1574

Lots of theoretical stuff here.

Take a good, battery-powered saw, with a sharp chain, and put it in some wood. Decide on that.

STIHL is reportedly out with a new pro model: powerful and pricy.

Philbert

Actually, my issue isn't with battery powered anything tools, saws or toaster cars, it's with the grid and the ability to produce power. The grid is already marginal and adding to the load will cause failure (as witness in Kalifornia this last winter) and where the rare earth elements are coming from (China) and being mined with slave labor.

People need to think about that because if the grid fails (and it will at some point, that is inevitable, you won't have any electricity in your home and that ain't good.

Really don't want to run my diesel standby genset if I can avoid it. I had to this spring for 7 days because the grid failed here to to stormy conditions. That is a lot of diesel anyway you turn it.

A mix of "fuels" is good no matter how you slice it. When you put all your eggs in a basket and the bottom falls out of the basket, look out. Your feet are about to get messy.

That's why it is hard to beat gas/diesel. Gas station north of you is out of fuel/out of power? No biggie, head next town south. Or east. Or west. It would be nearly impossible to not be able to source fuel from somewhere. The same can't be said for electric. There's but one source for that.

Back