People don't yet take battery operated chainsaws seriously.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And that’s why disaster response saw teams are usually all internal combustion
I have used my battery saws in response work. It is helpful to have multiple battery packs, but we normally have electricity for recharging at night. We typically also use battery powered drills, recip saws, and other tools.

They can be really good for ‘grab-and-go’ tasks: small projects, or while the other guys are getting set up.

They can travel in the passenger compartment of a personal vehicle (no flammable fuels) if a group splits up.

And they can be good for training new volunteers, focusing on things like cuts, binds, safety, etc., without the noise of a 2-stroke saw, or with people new to operating gasoline outdoor power equipment.

Philbert

I have posted all of these before: they are all storm cleanup photos with corded electric (!) and battery powered chainsaws or pole saws. Some at neighbor's or friend's homes. Others on larger events (don't always have the ability to take photos while sawing!). I have used them many more times than these.

Sometimes power is still available after a storm and corded electric saws are an option. The lightweight, telescoping, battery pole saw is really convenient for cutting in tight spaces. The last photo shows about a face cord of silver maple cut with a single battery charge, with a 120V Redback saw.

Philbert

P1103481.jpgP1103483.jpgphoto 3A.jpgIMG_1171a.jpgIMG_0275.jpg

Just last night, I ordered a Milwaukee cordless pole saw. I been using the M18 platform for 10 plus years and just got 2 new 6 AHR 18V batteries last fall. Just farm/ranch use for me. Will report back later into spring/summer with my thoughts and performance.

I was using a Fiskars 16ft manual pole saw to get really up there but man..... really wears a guy out doing that for a few hrs! Age is really creeping up on me.......boo.....

I also use the M18 pole saw and love it for trail clearing.
Since I use a brush cutter (gas) to clear out the paths, the pole saw works well since it only comes out to play once I have cleared an area, so I start and stop it constantly, wheras the brushcutter is running for 20-30minutes straight.
The pole saw has some weaknesses though:
1) when cutting larger branches or bucking smaller trunks. the chain loosens-need to check all the time
2) the oiler is crap and mostly makes goo while cutting, so need to clean/lube chain every now and then
I have 2 8ah and 1 5ah batteries and that can last about 2.5 hours of cutting time, so I can cut quite a bit of stuff before I would need to get the bigger gas saws out.

Once I need to cut anything more than about 10" then I need to wait for the bigger saws. It just takes too long with the battery pole saw.

Unless people charge battery powered o p e with a solar charge station what's the point of giving up gas powered o p e?
I'm off grid I don't rely on or pay anyone to charge my ****.
Giving up gasoline powered o p e is not the same as taking it seriously. If you are in a climate that has extreme temperatures either way battery will not likely suffice even where it might in spring or fall.

T540i XP is right now the industry standard ‘new’ th saw in my neck of the woods…so good that I don’t pick up any sub 60cc saw; we all prefer the 540i XP

IMO this is the first battery saw that outperforms it’s close petrol rivals

Locally I’m not the only person who thinks this and I bet there are a lot of us around the world

Locally I’m not the only person who thinks this and I bet there are a lot of us around the world
I thought we could break this into pieces.
IMO this is the first battery saw that outperforms it’s close petrol rivals
I tend to think this is over stating. Have you tried the 540i with the same bar and chain as the gasoline 540 side by side? I tried them both side by side at the Paul Bunyan show at the Husqvarna booth. They are pretty similar and not running the same chain.
T540i XP is right now the industry standard ‘new’ th saw in my neck of the woods
Probably so for someone using aloft. Probably not so for the rear handle version going against say the 543xp
so good that I don’t pick up any sub 60cc saw; we all prefer the 540i XP
I am not going to argue this, the help will generally choose the largest choice or a battery choice. If you are going to be burning full tanks of fluids the gasoline one is go to. I don't have the most modern variant but do have the most modern battery 200 size. I might guess from above statement you are not cutting flush to make round logs or branch parts.

I have used my battery saws in response work. It is helpful to have multiple battery packs, but we normally have electricity for recharging at night. We typically also use battery powered drills, recip saws, and other tools.

They can be really good for ‘grab-and-go’ tasks: small projects, or while the other guys are getting set up.

They can travel in the passenger compartment of a personal vehicle (no flammable fuels) if a group splits up.

And they can be good for training new volunteers, focusing on things like cuts, binds, safety, etc., without the noise of a 2-stroke saw, or with people new to operating gasoline outdoor power equipment.

Philbert
Great points Philbert!

Thank you! Most of our projects are usually all day at a single location. This is especially true with some of the larger hurricanes we’ve had in the gulf coast, ie Michael. The battery saws/battery packs that individuals have brought w them usually have power for about 1 hour. Therefore multiple battery packs. Daytime Recharge requires using a generator which may or may not be on that trailer. Their purpose is occ lighting but primarily for air compressor. And we usually stay in a church bldgs where electric outlets are in use overnight…. Often times for CpaPs. As you know most DR teams are the 50 and up age bracket… Most all our DR Team saws have been donated by various means. We request a specific saw or other item and it is usually provided. For the purpose of simplicity of parts acces our DR Team saws are all Stihl. So far, the cost of an adequate Stihl battery saw w mult battery bxpx is usually ~ twice (Or more) the cost of gas saw. So in most cases donation money will buy a couple of higher end gas saws for price of battery saw and chargers and extra batteries.

Your valid points have me thinking… I have a very good friend who leads all of the domestic Disaster Response for one of the largest such organizations. I will contact Todd this week and get insight from him on what their thoughts are towards battery saws in the disaster environment in the future… I will report back… Again, Thanks!

Reminds me of the ice storm here in Ky a decade or so ago. Nothing to do with electric, but a guy on E-bay contacted me wanting to buy a bunch of stuff for his damaged MS290. He turned out to be in Lexington, @ 1 1/2 hours away, so he asked me to fix the saw for him, and since I went there often to visit my mother, we worked out a deal.
He did contracts for FEMA, and said that he could be working in the ocean in his next job, as they handled most everything.
The bizarre thing about his work in Ky., FEMA hired him to do tree cleanup on all of the golf courses in the area.
The whole city looked like a war zone, and FEMA was working on the golf courses...

Reminds me of the ice storm here in Ky a decade or so ago. Nothing to do with electric, but a guy on E-bay contacted me wanting to buy a bunch of stuff for his damaged MS290. He turned out to be in Lexington, @ 1 1/2 hours away, so he asked me to fix the saw for him, and since I went there often to visit my mother, we worked out a deal.
He did contracts for FEMA, and said that he could be working in the ocean in his next job, as they handled most everything.
The bizarre thing about his work in Ky., FEMA hired him to do tree cleanup on all of the golf courses in the area.
The whole city looked like a war zone, and FEMA was working on the golf courses...
#Priorities …. I have interacted with FEMA folks on the ground for a number of years their troops in the field are good people… They take orders from above… It sure seems to be miss guided sometimes…

BTW were you involved in the cleanup in the December KY tornados? We delivered generators and other supplies directly to Dawson Springs at first Baptist Church there… We had to wait about four hours on the side of the interstate lined up beyond the exit ramp so that the POTUS convoy could be cleared and depart… I counted at least 40 black SUVs and large white vans… And military vehicles… And circling overhead were more than a few of the USMC twin rotor choppers…lt Was quite a sight to see and caused significant delay… Even had SAR go on hold for a while…

For the purpose of simplicity of parts acces our DR Team saws are all Stihl. So far, the cost of an adequate Stihl battery saw w mult battery bxpx is usually ~ twice (Or more) the cost of gas saw.
Maintaining uniform equipment is a ‘no-brainer’ from logistical and training standpoints. But your battery-powered equipment does not have to be the same color as your gas saws. They likely share nothing in common, beyond the bar and chain oil.

Selecting a uniform battery platform is more important. Some guys will choose saws that run off the contractor tool batteries that they already have, even if not ‘the best’ battery operated chainsaw.

Note that STIHL has 3, separate, battery platforms (!) which are not compatible/interchangeable (!!!), so be careful once you do decide to invest.

Philbert

In the future, battery saws are going to be excellent, right now, they’re just not quite there.
I have a Stihl MSA220 with a 16” bar and I have to disagree with you. Of course you can find limitations with ANY saw, but for a throw in the pickup, knock around everyday saw with that length bar it is “there”.

I have a Stihl MSA220 with a 16” bar and I have to disagree with you. Of course you can find limitations with ANY saw, but for a throw in the pickup, knock around everyday saw with that length bar it is “there”.
Agreed. I cannot attest to the ‘thereness’ of the Stihl offering (never tried the Stihl platform) but the Husqvarna one is definitely there

I thought we could break this into pieces.

I tend to think this is over stating. Have you tried the 540i with the same bar and chain as the gasoline 540 side by side? I tried them both side by side at the Paul Bunyan show at the Husqvarna booth. They are pretty similar and not running the same chain.

Probably so for someone using aloft. Probably not so for the rear handle version going against say the 543xp

I am not going to argue this, the help will generally choose the largest choice or a battery choice. If you are going to be burning full tanks of fluids the gasoline one is go to. I don't have the most modern variant but do have the most modern battery 200 size. I might guess from above statement you are not cutting flush to make round logs or branch parts.
I have two of the bli300 9.4ah batteries. Cutting speed is not the be all and end all to us…though in a race they are likely very close. The battery out-performs the close petrol equivalents for us simply because of the environment around the saw during use…no screaming during WOT, no endless revving like we all tend to do with ‘normal’ saws and no idle noise constantly in the background. The vibration of the battery saw is also hugely reduced.

They outperform because the cutting performance is close enough to be acceptable, the handling is a relative pleasure and the ability to hear and communicate as a team during use has quickly become something we all appreciate. We find them a much more pleasant tool to use all day every day.

#Priorities …. I have interacted with FEMA folks on the ground for a number of years their troops in the field are good people… They take orders from above… It sure seems to be miss guided sometimes…

BTW were you involved in the cleanup in the December KY tornados? We delivered generators and other supplies directly to Dawson Springs at first Baptist Church there… We had to wait about four hours on the side of the interstate lined up beyond the exit ramp so that the POTUS convoy could be cleared and depart… I counted at least 40 black SUVs and large white vans… And military vehicles… And circling overhead were more than a few of the USMC twin rotor choppers…lt Was quite a sight to see and caused significant delay… Even had SAR go on hold for a while…
No, I was out of commission a lot here with health issues, so I am out of commission, pretty much.

Latest posts

Back