People don't yet take battery operated chainsaws seriously.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will not take seriously either electric battery chainsaws. Except maybe when it comes to cutting trees in summer in middle of a dry forest and the battery decides to catch fire. Keep in mind lithium batteries chemistry don't need oxygen to maintain the chemical reaction of oxidizing everything until exhaustion of ALL elements. Now tell me how do you extinguish THAT thing in the middle of a dry forest with not much tools or help to do that.
Nevermind the energy content of 1 liter of high octane gasoline vs 1 liter of batteries. I would rather drag on my back deep in the forest the 7-8kg of chainsaw(or 10 kg if you're serious about cutting trees and own a 3120xp) plus 20 liters of gas and premix synthetic oil. Because at the end of the day I'll be coming out of woods with 20 kgs less if gasoline and a lot more trees cut. Or maybe I am wrong somewhere in my thinking! Although I am sure a full battery weighs the same or close to a drained battery. And how many of those must I carry with me to cut the same amount of wood/trees as with a 3120xp and 20 liters of gasoline. And yes, I know the Husky above mentioned drinks up about 4 liters of fuel per hour! Never used one ,just talked with owners who actually use them.
P.S. and I am frustrated about this electrification idiocy trend ,because I wantedto buy so bad a Makita EA7900 here in Romania yet failed miserably because Makita oficial representatives from Makita Romania told me honestly that no Makita or Dolmar gas chainsaws will ever be manufactured because of some stupid reasons wich I forgot so fast. And I was too late for buying a EA7900 anyway since these powerfull and reliable chainsaws were selling FAST the moment they got to be on sale in the store or on websites! And instead Makita will manufacture and sell electric battery chainsaws with 80 volt batteries... Their official statement...
Not that the Makita chainsaw I did got lucky and managed to buy EA6100P is "bad" ,but I really wanted an EA7900 brand new... Next chainsaw will be 3120xp just to laugh in the face of those battery fans eco "limited" individuals!

I have used my battery saws in response work. It is helpful to have multiple battery packs, but we normally have electricity for recharging at night. We typically also use battery powered drills, recip saws, and other tools.

They can be really good for ‘grab-and-go’ tasks: small projects, or while the other guys are getting set up.

They can travel in the passenger compartment of a personal vehicle (no flammable fuels) if a group splits up.

And they can be good for training new volunteers, focusing on things like cuts, binds, safety, etc., without the noise of a 2-stroke saw, or with people new to operating gasoline outdoor power equipment.

Philbert
"They can be really good for ‘grab-and-go’ task"

This. I officially fell in love with mine - cleaning up my fence line after a big wind. I'm doing it alone, so I have to pick up and put down a lot - and it's generally not "cut up a given log for a few minutes", it's cut drag untangle twist cut pile swear... lots of small limbs trying to get hung up in my electric that I don't really *need* to cut now, but probably should, that I wouldn't bother to yank the cord for. It was made for that sort of thing, as far as I'm concerned (though I do need to not drop it in the swamp - that *can't* be good for them...)

I have posted all of these before: they are all storm cleanup photos with corded electric (!) and battery powered chainsaws or pole saws. Some at neighbor's or friend's homes. Others on larger events (don't always have the ability to take photos while sawing!). I have used them many more times than these.

Sometimes power is still available after a storm and corded electric saws are an option. The lightweight, telescoping, battery pole saw is really convenient for cutting in tight spaces. The last photo shows about a face cord of silver maple cut with a single battery charge, with a 120V Redback saw.

Philbert

View attachment 970359View attachment 970360View attachment 970361View attachment 970364View attachment 970365
My 89 year old FIL carries a generator in the back of his truck, and runs a corded saw off it - betting he owns a battery powered after the first time he tries mine.

"They can be really good for ‘grab-and-go’ task"

This. I officially fell in love with mine - cleaning up my fence line after a big wind. I'm doing it alone, so I have to pick up and put down a lot - and it's generally not "cut up a given log for a few minutes", it's cut drag untangle twist cut pile swear... lots of small limbs trying to get hung up in my electric that I don't really *need* to cut now, but probably should, that I wouldn't bother to yank the cord for. It was made for that sort of thing, as far as I'm concerned (though I do need to not drop it in the swamp - that *can't* be good for them...)
Agreed. For a non-pro with 25 acres of hilly forrest on a small 66 acre family farm, I use the heck out of a 500i, a MS180c and a MSA200. I also use the HTA85 pole saw. i keep all three in the Mule along with all the fuel, oil and other tools needed. Maintaining trails is constant work. I grab the MSA200 80% of the time Because it excels at the small, quick jobs where you’re grabbing the saw, cutting up some brush or fallen limbs, tossing aside and moving on. For limbing, where I’m working for longer periods, I appreciate the greater power and sturdier chain of the MS180c. I may go through several tanks at a time before moving on. For bigger felling, larger firewood and slabbing , nothing beats the MS500i! The HTA85 pole saw shares chains and batteries with the MSA200. It gets used a great deal as well for trail building and maintenance. I have a couple of Kolpin ratcheting grips on the Mule to hold the pole saw or line trimmer as needed. I end up charging one AP300 battery about every other working day. It’s not that the batteries last so long in continuous use, it’s that the pattern of use is so start and stop. The chains are really narrow and fragile on the electrics, I don’t like that, but I get why they need to be that way. And with a little care they work fine for trimming and clearing and they’re easy enough to sharpen. I can easily get through the occasional 10in log if needed. If I’m on foot bushwhacking a new trail, the lightweight electric is perfect for me. Your mileage may vary, but I’ve been very happy with the electrics! Its all about the right tool for the job and efficiency of effort.

Top handle when finished felling running around getting all of those miles of brances up in a tidy bunch.
Climbing to cut down that fir top so it doesnt shade the horizon, yes.

I have used my battery saws in response work. It is helpful to have multiple battery packs, but we normally have electricity for recharging at night. We typically also use battery powered drills, recip saws, and other tools.

They can be really good for ‘grab-and-go’ tasks: small projects, or while the other guys are getting set up.

They can travel in the passenger compartment of a personal vehicle (no flammable fuels) if a group splits up.

And they can be good for training new volunteers, focusing on things like cuts, binds, safety, etc., without the noise of a 2-stroke saw, or with people new to operating gasoline outdoor power equipment.

Philbert
Philbert, can you please recommend a battery powered saw for a DR Team. Of course w necessary complement of batteries and charger. Total Budget of 1K. Thank you.

Howard,

Call me to chat. Too many variables to choose one.

Philbert
Will do. Thx. Was looking at Stihl 220 but I’m not educated yet on batteries and chargers. First big storm and we will be hopefully be fortunate to have offers of more donations. Considering battery for next addition.

Will do. Thx. Was looking at Stihl 220 but I’m not educated yet on batteries and chargers. First big storm and we will be hopefully be fortunate to have offers of more donations. Considering battery for next addition.
If someone else is paying get that Stihl with the biggest battery and fastest charger and a couple of extra batteries. Ready to use in an instant, will cut through anything BUT not for long on each battery.

Advantage for DR work is the battery saw will be out cutting while the other members of the team are faffing around trying to start the petrol saws.

Be aware Stihl have just released a bigger battery saw, at twice the price.

If someone else is paying get that Stihl with the biggest battery and fastest charger and a couple of extra batteries. Ready to use in an instant, will cut through anything BUT not for long on each battery.

Advantage for DR work is the battery saw will be out cutting while the other members of the team are faffing around trying to start the petrol saws.

Thx. Is charge time such that one batt can charge while other running the saw and therefore can continuously cycle w two batts or need 3 batts. Trying to learn things. I don’t think batt bxpxs will be option for us.

Is this it?

https://www.protoolreviews.com/stihl-20-inch-battery-powered-chainsaw-msa-300-c-0/

If you run down battery from fully charged to flat in one go it will be hot and cannot be charged until it cools down and that can take 20 minutes.

That's why you need multiple batteries - or a backpack.

Another problem is they are best stored at less than fully charged or longevity suffers but for DR work you want them always fully charged yet it might be months until the next callout.

Back