perfect combination?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood junky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What is your dream setup-
what is the best cc range spread ?

is it 60 and 90?

40-70?

I currently have an ms 361 and am looking toward a dolmar 7900 as my big saw.

I feel like this combo will get me past what ever the wood throws my way.

let me know your thoughts.
K

This ought to get interesting.....
:popcorn:

026 with 16" bar
046 with 20" bar (I should get a 24" bar for this saw)
084 with 36" bar or 60" bar

Works for me.

Ed

Truth is, I'm pretty content with my current setup. I could see adding a small non-top handle saw someday for trimming and use by non-saw people, in case my wife or sister or parents ever wanted to come cut with me (right!). I'd probably go with an Echo CS346 to share parts with my CS3400, but a Dolmar 401 seems very tempting. But I don't need it by any stretch of the imagination.

Presently, the saws I run when I actually need to get stuff cut:

Echo CS3400 - 14" running 3/8" LP
Stihl 026Pro - 16" running .325"
Dolmar 7900 - 20" or 28" running 3/8"
Stihl 066 - 20" or 28" running 3/8"
Stihl 075, 076 - 25", 28", or 41" running 3/8"

I have yet to encounter ANYTHING that I can't cut with these five saws. Heck, I'm not sure there IS anything I couldn't cut with those saws.

If I was limited to two saws, I'd probably keep the CS3400 and the 7900, as they can handle at least 95% of what I'll ever encounter, and they share parts, bars, and chains with my buddy's CS3000 and 6401.

Last edited:
Limbing light small 30cc-33cc 10"-12" B+C
small stuff 49cc-50cc 16"-20" B+C
med stuff 57cc-60cc 16"-22" B+C
all round 79cc-92cc 18" 20"-32" B+C

I like FHCW's solution...just get one of everything. Otherwise the question is too non-specific...too many different kinds of wood and situations to make any hard and fast rules. Besides which,if you lock yourself in to a certain formula or combination of saws you won't have any excuse to go out and buy more. What fun would that be?

my ported 090 is the perfect mill saw, it wear a 41 inch bar.

my 660`s great for slabbing the sides of logs and burning through the thick stuff, its got a 36 inch bar

my go to saw is my ported 046 with a 28 inch bar though, i`d like to pick up another to put a big bore kit on and port a little further.

Last edited:
With my cutting to date, and reading here, if I was going shopping with a blank check:

200T 12"&16"
028WB14"& 20"
660 20"& 28", (36"+ for milling).

It seems like 3 saws is the combo that most folks run

With christmas on the Horizon and thinking the I may see some orange and maybe some red under the tree

7900? 660? hmm so many saws so little time.

K

My working saws (MS170, MS290, MS460) provide quite a range for me. I would not mind filling in some gaps with:

MS260 - just to drive SawTroll nuts!
MS361 - just to see what all the fuss is about
MS660 - no need to 'splain, it's the KING!

While I have nothing bad to say about Husky or Dolmar (or Tanaka, or Efco, or...), I have no need to explore them, either.

Ummmmm

I think he wanted to know which saw was the all around best saw for you. Just fyi... For me, the 266XP has been the best overall saw. Small branches to 36" oak and light as all get out. Sad to say it's not a Stihl, butttt, that's how it goes eh? I only reach for my stihl i:rock: f I'm cutting all small stuff or all big stuff. If it's a mix, I use the 266. If I had a stihl, it'd be the 390 or something around the 65cc mark. 65cc for me seems to be the best all around saw range for most everything I work on.

Uhhhh, I think he asked about a combo, ie. combination. He has a 361, thinks it would be best complemented by a 7900.

346xp and 372xp. I like the combo so much I did it times two. The 288 and 3120 only see the light of day in wood over 30". The rancher gets loaned out to friends that I like.

Lol

Husky137 said:
Uhhhh, I think he asked about a combo, ie. combination. He has a 361, thinks it would be best complemented by a 7900.

346xp and 372xp. I like the combo so much I did it times two. The 288 and 3120 only see the light of day in wood over 30". The rancher gets loaned out to friends that I like.

I gotcha. My bad...:chainsaw: In that case with my 266XP, I am buying a 7900 in 1.5weeks. This will get me through anything I'm sure. If not, I've got a 056 Mag coming my way that'll take care of the rest of it...

My combination would have to be my 361 w/20" bar and Rs chain
and My MS200t with 14 inch E-Lite bar and RS chain. Between the two I could do everything that I do with them/

7900, ms460, or 385xp wood fit nicely for you. pick your favorite color. cant go wrong w/ either. could easily use the woods modded 372xp or ms440 as well. or have the first group woods ported for more ooomph!!!!

at least a muff modd is a must for any of them.

good luck and let us know which u choose and why.

my perfect combo is....

I have decided (some time ago) that I will do a 7900.

my hesitation is that I wonder is it enough? do I "need" a 90cc saw? I do not think so, do i want one OH HELL YEA.

Did I read correctly that there is an adapter plate to convert big husky bar mount to stihl??

My only real hesitation is not being able to swap bars around by having dolmar and stihl.

Dream Combo:

Ms 361 18" bar
Dolmar 7900 24" bar
stihl (881-HMMM) anything really big.

wood junky said:
What is your dream setup-
what is the best cc range spread ?

is it 60 and 90?

40-70?

I currently have an ms 361 and am looking toward a dolmar 7900 as my big saw.

I feel like this combo will get me past what ever the wood throws my way.

let me know your thoughts.
K
Impossible to answer, depends on how your woods or wood are.....:taped:

But everyone should have a 361, as you already have - there is no woods or wood where that one doesn't fulfill a function....:D :D :givebeer: :givebeer:

wood junky said:
I have decided (some time ago) that I will do a 7900.

my hesitation is that I wonder is it enough? do I "need" a 90cc saw? I do not think so, do i want one OH HELL YEA.

Did I read correctly that there is an adapter plate to convert big husky bar mount to stihl??

My only real hesitation is not being able to swap bars around by having dolmar and stihl.

Dream Combo:

Ms 361 18" bar
Dolmar 7900 24" bar
stihl (881-HMMM) anything really big.

I love my 7900, but am not about to give up a bigger saw like my 395 or 066 which are much stronger in big wood. So if you could live without 8 hp, you could have a 7900 and a 395. If I were to take only two saws to a site, those would be the two. And the bars interchange if one cared.

I had my trailer built with a 2 x 2 x 5 ft toolbox, so I never go out without at least three saws.

Last edited:
my combo is what I have now...only addition would be a MS200T, but I really don't need it...

muffler modded 5100 16" bar
ported 372xp with 20" bar (or Jnsered 2071)
muffler modded 7900 with 24" bar
dual port muffler 660 with 28 and 36" bars as needed.

That is what normally goes with me to the woods, although there is always more saws I take, those are just the ones that I use the most.

Back