perfect firewood saw?? opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I could only have one saw for a 2 cord a weekend cut, it would definitely be at least a 70 cc class saw.

I enjoy cutting wood. I also enjoy doing other stuff on the weekend.

Just Get-R-Done!

BTW, the 441 is a smok'n saw for cutting a lot of firewood in a hurry.:clap:

I think it depends on what your cutting. One guy could get away with a ms260 346xp or 5100 and others need a 395xp or ms660. For what I do 70cc is plenty.

If I could only have one saw for a 2 cord a weekend cut, it would definitely be at least a 70 cc class saw.

I enjoy cutting wood. I also enjoy doing other stuff on the weekend.

Just Get-R-Done!

BTW, the 441 is a smok'n saw for cutting a lot of firewood in a hurry.:clap:

True also. My new problem is whether to grab the 361 or the 441. If its 20" or bigger there is no dispute, but both saws are FUNNNN!!!

Sure you could get it done with an 026/50cc class saw. It would just take a while to do it. I have lots and lots of cords on that 026. Loved it and still do. Now that I have been introduced to the Huge Hiney Honey of a saw - the 441- I must say I didn't know what I was missing.

To be fair, would I think the same of a Husky, or Dolmar, if they would have been my first big saw? Probably. Just felt comfortable with a brand of saw that had good support and close dealers.

How many cords we talk'n about here? There are about 52 weekends in a year. Just a couple of cord a year? Pick your saw and just run it. 10 cords or so? The 361 sounds like a fine choice. Much more than 10? Get it done already.

I'd say it depends on the average size of the trees you're cutting. I have a MS361 and MS250 for cutting firewood. Suits my needs perfectly, but I don't cut a whole lot over 20" in diameter. Got a 24" bar for my 361, but I don't use it that much -- I use the 18" the most.

If you are cutting big trees, get something a bit bigger than a 361, you'll be glad for the extra power and shorter time getting it done.

God bless,
Chris

I agree with you PA, but I still use my 026 or 350 to clear out the small stuff before I switch to the 440. The fastest way to fill your truck is to cut big rounds :chainsaw:

Who are we kidding talking about one saw?

Dok

Good point. I have spent a couple of days in the woods this last year and it has skewed my thinking on cutting wood. I like to do it, and I like to do it with a big saw. It has gotten to where anything shorter than a 24" bar feels funny.

I'll take a pill and relax now. Thanks for bearing with me everybody.:cheers:

Here's a pic of very credible member of AS enjoying his 361 !

attachment.php

OK. Thats probably right.
It's kinda hard to tell from the the artists painting. ;)
What do I know about artists ???
:cheers:

Last edited:
i currently run an 031av or a ms250 both with 16in bars and semi chisel chains.
Why limit yourself to one brand? Explore the chainsaw world and see what's out there! You could try a Husqvarna 372 (72cc) or even the 372XPW with its 75cc motor. Or better yet, give the Dolmar 7900 a test run. It's 79cc, high compression/high horsepower, and great anti-vibe.

Good point. I have spent a couple of days in the woods this last year and it has skewed my thinking on cutting wood. I like to do it, and I like to do it with a big saw. It has gotten to where anything shorter than a 24" bar feels funny.

I'll take a pill and relax now. Thanks for bearing with me everybody.:cheers:

Oh I agree completely! It also changes how you look at the trees. I used to leave a lot of the bigger stuff, now I leave a lot of the smaller stuff. I now tend to look at the trunk and main limbs where before I was looking at the branches and main limbs. I'm passing up blowdowns that I would have been all over a few years ago. I'm also thinking 660 or 390...
Dok

Oh I agree completely! It also changes how you look at the trees. I used to leave a lot of the bigger stuff, now I leave a lot of the smaller stuff. I now tend to look at the trunk and main limbs where before I was looking at the branches and main limbs. I'm passing up blowdowns that I would have been all over a few years ago. I'm also thinking 660 or 390...
Dok

This goofy site messed me up. I had two quotes on logging off our Hemlock and started reading here. All of a sudden I owned two more saws and was looking at logging some of the biggest trees I had ever touched with a saw. Now I can hardly wait to get back to felling, bucking and stacking. (The limbing has never been my favorite.)

If Stihl wasn't privately held (is it?) I would bet top dollar Hemlock spars that AS held some of their stock.

They probably do with J-red, Husky, Dolmar, Shinny, Makita, Echo, etc, etc,:greenchainsaw:

if I was on a buget want I ,am a buget thanks to bush . had to run one saw for the money . don,t know if can buy new one . can.t never run it much anymore . is a husqvarna 51 dam nice saw .

if I was on a buget want I ,am a buget thanks to bush . had to run one saw for the money . don,t know if can buy new one . can.t never run it much anymore . is a husqvarna 51 dam nice saw .

could you repeat that please in English?

hey , the new saws dont bug me any at all just like the way older stuff is built. i wouldnt mind a new saw the 361 may be just the ticket. and his 440 out cuts mine when you get down to cutting sure. but hes always got to mess with it and get everything just right to cut. i can just jump outta the truck fire her up and get cutting. but cut for cut he wins. i could have said that a litle better.

maybe its just the tradition thing my dad always run them saws so naturally i fell in love withem.

Back