Perkins 4cyl - 236 Advice...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyBee

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi
I am looking at a used chipper that has a 1991 236CI 4 cylinder perkins diesel in it.
Anyone out there have any experience with this engine? Apparently they are discontinued now, and in asking around hear that there may be a few years where this engine ate bottom ends.

Any experience with this plant would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Not sure of that model, never seen a Perkins with a bottom end problem, some of the late model (late 80's early 90's) oil cooled motors had head gasket issues. Ussually a rock solid motor. Maybe others have info I don't, I think they are fine motors.
Andy

Perkins have been around forever, except for a few miscellaneous problems, there a good engine.

If there is a trend of eating bottoms ends on a particular engine / model combo, there could have been a mistake in installing a miss-matched type,,,,, like an engine designed for an in-line generator, hooked up to a crank mounted pulley system, or a non-thrust style engine installed were there is crank-shaft thrust?

Take a look here , I haven't checked but there may be some application codes you need to make sure of getting for a replacement.

http://www.perkins.com/cda/layout?m=69660&x=7

BobbyBee said:
Hi
I am looking at a used chipper that has a 1991 236CI 4 cylinder perkins diesel in it.
Anyone out there have any experience with this engine? Apparently they are discontinued now, and in asking around hear that there may be a few years where this engine ate bottom ends.

Any experience with this plant would be much appreciated.

The Perkins 4-236 series is a good reliable engine series.

Theres no reason a well looked after 4-236 shouldn't last for years.

Just make sure that you see the engine started from stone cold with NO easy-start spray.

Then check for the usual things, no crank case compression (when cold and hot), check oil level/leaks, (leave the engine running for 1/2 hour for leaks then turn it off and see if oil drops out of the engine breather),
oil pressure (ask the seller if you can use your own oil pressure gauge to check the pressure) and check to see if the radiator leaks or if the radiator matrix is blocked. finally check the to see if the engine condition matches the hour meter.

And of course you might as well chip something.

ShoerFast said:
Perkins have been around forever, except for a few miscellaneous problems, there a good engine.

If there is a trend of eating bottoms ends on a particular engine / model combo, there could have been a mistake in installing a miss-matched type,,,,, like an engine designed for an in-line generator, hooked up to a crank mounted pulley system, or a non-thrust style engine installed were there is crank-shaft thrust?

Take a look here , I haven't checked but there may be some application codes you need to make sure of getting for a replacement.

http://www.perkins.com/cda/layout?m=69660&x=7

The baby 3 cylinder Perkins have a habit of throwing number 2 cylinder conrod if oil changes are not done (the oil way get blocked).

I've got a 94 Vermeer 1250 with the 236.
I had to replace the engine a couple of years ago (they don't hold up to environmentalist sabbatoge verry well). It has served me well, with no problems whatsoever in the last 2 years.

Andy

Back