Phellinus pini?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norwayclimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hi

Anybody care to confirm my suspicion or come up with a better suggestion. It's growing on a Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris).

Thanks

That sounds like a pretty good guess to me. Sadly, I am unqualified to venture a guess, as I have never heard of it until you posted this thread.

I found this link, which seems to give good ID characteristics, as well as a bunch of similar appearing pathogens. http://www.forestry-dev.org/diseases/ctd/Group/Heart/heart13_e.html

From the article:
"Remarks: The fruiting bodies of P. pini vary considerably in morphology, on different hosts. Phellinus pini might be confused with early incipient decay caused by Echinodontium tinctorium, or the natural reddish discoloration in some pines Other fungi also produce a white pocket rot; Phellinus nigrolimitatus and Hericium abietis produce larger pockets with well-defined margins, Inonotus tomentosus and Dichomitus squalens (P. Karst) D. Reid form pockets with poorly defined margins."

Back