Picked up a HD 6401

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turd Furgeson

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Last weekend I dropped a large old pine of some type in my yard, it almost looks like an Italian stone pine... Taking a quick look at the growth rings I aged it to about 70 years old. My Jonsered 535 although running like a champ seemed a little undersized for the task. Since this was one of my "small" trees I decided a saw upgrade was needed.

Monday on a whim I called the local home depots a few minutes before my lunch break and ended up finding a saw in West Allis. The tool guy said he thought somebody was going to buy it as he was looking it over for about 30 minutes before I called. I decided to chance it and drive down there. I walked in the store made a B line to the tool rental and there she was. She wasn't pretty looking but the $165 sold me. I was in a rush so didn't look over it too close. I thought it had a new bar, and they threw in two new chains, a scrench, and some Makita oil. The tool guy said it only had 27 rentals, it sure didn't look like it though.

Over the course of the week I've been able to take a closer look at it. It starts up on the second or third pull. It seems to hesitate when you give it gas. I cut a few large limbs from the big pine and it did okay but i wasn't in awe like i thought i would be. A few times in the cut it seemed to bog down.

The bar was not new, it was just wearing a fresh coat of paint. It's actually pretty worn down. I tried pulling the muffler but I don't have a long t27 driver. I pulled the spark plug. Somebody had buggered up the threads so I'm going to have to be very careful not to strip them completely. The plug was new. A peak in the cylinder showed some scoring on the exhaust side. I'm not sure if it was from dust or from a lean mix. The saw has the standard air filter but instead of a white element like I've seen in some pictures it was black. There was fine dust inside the housing of the filter.

My compression gauge is acting up a bit, it's not holding pressure like it should but watching it while pulling showed up to 175 psi on the 4th pull. This kind of surprised me because because of the scoring and when i did the drop test from the starter cord it would drop all the way down one stroke at a time.

I pulled the clutch cover. The outer clutch drum was blue and scored. Somebody must have been revving the piss out of it with the chain brake on. The clutch bearing was bone dry so i cleaned that all up and packed the bearing with fresh grease. I'm thinking about ordering a new drum and clutch to have on hand if these start to slip.

The oiler works great.

My plans for the saw are to find a new bar. I'm thinking a 28" would be nice to have as the 20" is still usable if needed. After seeing all the dust I'm thinking a HD air filter kit is warranted. Plus the grey plastic is in rough shape on the saw. I might replace the gas and oil caps as they are a bit buggered up. I also would like to put a OEM 79 CC piston and cylinder on it.

Even though I've read about every thread in the search function about these saws I have some questions.

I'm a bit confused about the carb adjustments. Non of my older stuff that I've tinkered with has limiter caps. With the saw in stock form can I make adjustments or do I have to modify something or use a special tool? I'm thinking the hesitation might be a rich or lean condition.

Do you guys think I should give the store a hard time about the buggered up plug hole, bar, and burnt up clutch drum and see if I can get some money back so I can stick it into the saw?

Is there a simple way to check out the bottom end of the saw before I drop money on a new top end?

What's the best price you guys have seen lately on the 79 CC OEM kit? The best reference I saw was 169.99 but that was a while back.

Thanks,

TF

I have a couple Dolmar 7900's.

One had a steel plug in the "H" hole and the other had plastic tabs on the needles

Your saw sounds lean to me.

The plug hole is easily repairable if it strips but if you're changing to 79cc it doesn't matter.

To repair the plug hole it is best to remove the cylinder to do it so you can clean the chips out.

The problems with the air filter was probably caused by lack of maintenance and cleaning. I've found the stock 6400 filter to work just fine, as long as you remember to clean it.

I think the black filter is a nylon one for use in the wintertime snow?

So i played with the saw a bit this morning. I removed the starter assembly and pulled the rubber cover off the carb screws. There was a metal plug in the high slot. I don't see anything that looks like a limiter cap...

I found this thread. http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/133666.htm

I guess that would mean some saws came without them?

Anyways the high screw was one and a half turns out which is greater than the factory setting of 1 1/8. I have some errands to run but I might try to adjust it and play with the saw when i get home if the weather holds out.

The black air filter just has a screen. On the white ones I've seen pictures of it almost looks like there is a felt looking layer over the openings as well.

Congrats on the 6401.
On whether to go back to HD and talk about your observations I'd say their price reflected it's condition and you came out with good value.
Sounds like it had a few rough rental days but you still have room to put a few bucks into the saw if you want.
How about a picture so we can have a look see?

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help. I ended up getting home from my errands, cleaned the air filter quick, and spent the last couple of hours playing with the saw. It seems like it likes the low side turned 1.75 turns out and the high side to 2.25-2.5 turns out. This seems like it's a bit much for a stock saw but i guess it is 35 degrees out so that could be a factor... I'm not an expert so I couldn't tell if it was 4 stroking or not.

The verdict is.... it now screams. I dug the dogs into the side of the stump and let the whole bar dig in and it didn't miss a beat. It winds up nice and smooth now. Actually i liked it so much i might leave the top end alone for now. It definitely needs a new bar and some decent chain.

I'll try to get a couple of pictures up tonight, but I'm warning you that she isn't pretty.

Thanks,

TF

Putting a new black cylinder cover and Hi-performance air filter setup on it will clean the saw up quite a bit for not too much money.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help. I ended up getting home from my errands, cleaned the air filter quick, and spent the last couple of hours playing with the saw. It seems like it likes the low side turned 1.75 turns out and the high side to 2.25-2.5 turns out. This seems like it's a bit much for a stock saw but i guess it is 35 degrees out so that could be a factor... I'm not an expert so I couldn't tell if it was 4 stroking or not.

The verdict is.... it now screams. I dug the dogs into the side of the stump and let the whole bar dig in and it didn't miss a beat. It winds up nice and smooth now. Actually i liked it so much i might leave the top end alone for now. It definitely needs a new bar and some decent chain.

I'll try to get a couple of pictures up tonight, but I'm warning you that she isn't pretty.

Thanks,

TF
The needle settings sound about right considering the outside air temperature

Glad you like it.

What are you complaining about? She looks pretty enough to me.

Congrats on getting her running the way you like.

Price sounds right for the condition, good w/ all the extras. When I worked there about a year ago, our managers had us sell them from the high side of the price sheet, $250-200 on average if it all. They sell the old ones when new ones came in. HD's cost of the saw to them is only $430, so at 27 rentals + insurance they've more than made their money off it. From what I can see of the pics it looks better than some of the one's my store had. You could go back and see if they'd give you the makita logo'd dolmar bar and dolmar stamped chain it shipped with to make up for the buggered plug hole/clutch drum. The tech probably would, managers depends on if it's a good one. Real hit or miss there though. I doubt they'd come off the price any, but it's worth a shot.

Toss the bar and chains after a few more uses, they're both cheap throw aways after a few rentals. We bulk order the unknown brand bars from Sten's and are about $10. Chains are from Tri-link and $10 each max. As for the air filter; if it's a fine nylon mesh filter, it's the high altitude one. The yellow flocked one is what should be on there. For winter/cold weather use there's a black plastic piece under the air cover that you flip around from the open side to the solid side to cover the opening looking at the cylinder.

As for the carb - i'm not sure about them having limiters. I never had to adjust them that much if it all. None of mine had plugs on the high side. They rip w/ a 20 in bar, a 28 in full comp in softwood or semi skip should be ok after a muff mod.

What RiverRat said. Those saws can take a beating, customers have interesting ways of mistreating them.

Thanks for the info. I might stop in if I'm in the area in the next couple of weeks to see if they do anything. It's in the opposite direction of home. I actually bought one of those save a thread kits about 10 years ago to repair a stripped spark plug hole in my old quad 4 engine. If I can find that I might be able to fix the hole for a few dollars. It might even have an unused insert that will work.

Well that was fun while it lasted. I decided to take the saw out and take advantage of the extra hour of daylight, i made about 5 cuts and then it spit the spark plug out. I have to run to northern tool to pick up the case i bought for it along with the sharperner they have on sale. Northern is about two miles from the HD where i bought it so I'll see what they say.

I did find a DCS6421 for sale. Might have to pick that up too...

So i called home depot tonight. The tool room manager said he would make it right. He said he would order me a new piston and cylinder and put it on next week. I asked him if I were to find the part number for the 7901 and paid the price difference between the two if he could order that for me. He said sure thing. Major props to Home Depot!!! He just need to check with Makita to make sure it will work. I hope some knob doesn't say no.

Now i have a question when it comes to part numbers.

The stock part number for the 6401 is 040 130 033 and this works for both the makita and the dolmar.

The part number from the 7901 ipl is 038 130 031 but the bailey's 7900 kit part number is 038 130 070. What's the difference? Besides 15 dollars or so.

If you order the 031 kit it will revert to the 070 P&C.

The difference is the new piston doesn't have windows.

Back