Picked up a HD 6401

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a 6421 from HD but I paid significantly more for it. Once I got it home I realized the clutch was toasted so bad that I could physically move the shoes and the needle bearing was falling apart. I assume someone probably tried running it with the brake on. The air filter also had a whole in it. It did come with a new chain (cheap carlton) and a new bar plus the old bar. I took it back and the guy put a new clutch in it and a used serviceable filter and drum from what I assume was another saw they had. I went ahead and ordered a new drum and rim sprocket since I wanted everything to be new. He started it up right there for me and it sounded good. They had the chain so tight that I was not surprised that the original drum bearing was toast. I have not been able to do the compression test on it yet but may do that tomorrow at work if I have a chance. Sounds like you got a smoking deal. Even though I didn't get that kind of deal I am still happy with the saw so far. I will see how she does in some big red oak this weekend. Have fun!

Justin

Last edited:
Nice score Justin!

Well guys I think I suck. I picked up the saw from HD today with the 7900 top end installed. They put a new bar and chain on too, threw in another bottle of synthetic oil, and swapped my chewed up 20 inch scabbard for a new 24" one so it will cover the 24" bar I ordered yesterday. I was going to get the HD air filter kit but the guy sold me a new flocked one for their cost. Since I have the winter and summer filters I'm going to leave it alone for now. I would like to find the dolmar black plastics though.

I also fit it to a northern tools chainsaw case. It just needed heat by the side handle And one of the dogs. While playing around I tipped the case over.... Made in the USA!

While at Northern I returned my chain grinder that I bought last week since I picked up an Oregon 511a for 100 bucks on craigslist!

BTW their felling wedges are Made in the USA too. If you use a $5 off $15 coupon to buy them they're dirt cheap!

Sweet case! I have been meaning to get over to Northern to see what they have. I told my wife that I wanted the 36" Alaskan mill from there for my b-day. Definitely will check out the wedges while I'm there. Can never have too many :). I am overall extremely happy with my saw and will probably pick up another one from them. Btw, what model/brand b/c did you get and where did you purchase it? Thanks!

JC

Nice score Justin!

Well guys I think I suck. I picked up the saw from HD today with the 7900 top end installed. They put a new bar and chain on too, threw in another bottle of synthetic oil, and swapped my chewed up 20 inch scabbard for a new 24" one so it will cover the 24" bar I ordered yesterday. I was going to get the HD air filter kit but the guy sold me a new flocked one for their cost. Since I have the winter and summer filters I'm going to leave it alone for now. I would like to find the dolmar black plastics though.

I also fit it to a northern tools chainsaw case. It just needed heat by the side handle And one of the dogs. While playing around I tipped the case over.... Made in the USA!

While at Northern I returned my chain grinder that I bought last week since I picked up an Oregon 511a for 100 bucks on craigslist!

BTW their felling wedges are Made in the USA too. If you use a $5 off $15 coupon to buy them they're dirt cheap!

Agreed. You do suck. 7900 rep headed your way

Sweet case! I have been meaning to get over to Northern to see what they have. I told my wife that I wanted the 36" Alaskan mill from there for my b-day. Definitely will check out the wedges while I'm there. Can never have too many :). I am overall extremely happy with my saw and will probably pick up another one from them. Btw, what model/brand b/c did you get and where did you purchase it? Thanks!

JC

Justin,

Here are some coupon codes for Northern.

157209 - expires 04/06/2013
$20 off a purchase of $100 or more
157210 - expires 04/06/2013
$5 off a purchase of $15 or more

They expire today though. They work online and they do work in the store but you have to convince the cashier to let you use them. I really like the case. If it were only a half inch bigger in every internal dimension it would be perfect.

I ordered a new 24" Sugihara hard nose bar off of ebay for 61 dollars shipped. I don't cut a whole lot(yet) so the bar should outlast me, a roller tip would be nice but I don't know if I can justify another 100 dollars they want for one in that brand. I"ll have to watch bailey's closeouts and see if I can score a 28-32" for a good price. I haven't picked up a chain yet for the new bar, i'll wait until the local hardware store/stihl dealer has their 20% off bag sale to pick up some loops of stihl chain

Last night i goofed around with my Ryobi and slotted the heads on the carb screws. Then I did a muffler mod(my first) to it this morning and took both saws out to play. They Ryobi seemed pretty easy to dial in. The Makita was giving me some troubles. I'm not a pro by any means so I tried to error on the side of rich rather than lean. After a bit of cutting I pulled the plug to check it out. It looked like it was running a bit rich which i figured was good for break in. Then i noticed that the electrode was almost touching the tip. They must have dropped the plug while assembling the engine and didn't adjust the gap. I adjusted the gap, put it in & the saw seemed to pick up some RPM as the chain would now spin at idle. After fixing up the plug it seemed a bit more responsive to carb adjustments and it ran and idled a lot better. I still tried to error on the side of being rich(i hope). I might try to find somebody local that has a bit more experience than me to check it out.

Right now i have the low side out 2 1/4 turns. The high side is out about 2 1/2, I think I can hear it 4 stroking right when I start on a log, then it cleans up, and then it starts stroking again towards the botttom. As I said I'm not very experienced in tuning 2 strokes. I'm used to 4 strokes where i can use a vacuum gauge to dial in the timing and carb. I did have it stall out a few times right when i was done with a cut and left of the gas. Could that mean it have the idle set to low or rich? The factory settings according to the service manual are 1 turn out on the low and 1 1/8 on the high so I don't think it would be stalling because it's lean...

I peaked in the spark plug hole when i had the plug out. I saw what looked like a few light scratches. I couldn't feel them with my screwdriver so I hope they're not a big deal. I'm a big guy and can barely pull the rope by hand without the compression release activated so it feels strong compression wise. As nice as it was to have the work done by somebody else I kind of wish I could have done it myself to make sure everything was spotless during assembly.

Overall I'm pretty happy. :rock:

Thanks for the coupons but I got back too late from the Virginia GTG to even try to use them. I saw those hard nose bars on eBay, you will have to let me know what you think about it once you have used it for a while. I need to get a 24" because the oak I have stockpiled is just a little too large for the 20". Will also keep an eye out on Baileys. Take care.

Justin

Justin guys on here really like the sugihara bars. I guess the hard tip bars use a little more but the 7900 top end shouldn't have any problems pulling it.

Tonight I peaked in the cylinder again and used a dental pick to feel what looked like scratches. It didn't hang up at all so I have no idea what they are... I pulled out the compression gauge and gave it 4 pulls on the cold saw. Looks good to me. View attachment 289552

I saw those bars on eBay. Let me know what you think after you've run it in some hardwood. I want to get a 24" since the 20" is just a couple inches shy for most of the oak I have on hand.

Gauge reading looks good. We're the marks vertical? It could be just a slight amount of transfer from the piston breaking in and not scoring. I finally got around to checking compression on my 6421 and it was reading up around 190 (sorry about crappy photo). A lot higher than I expected it to.

View attachment 289751

Btw, here is a good video on how to tune the carb on that saw.

http://youtu.be/ulY5sU4axFQ

Here is the thread discussing that video.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/147465.htm

Take care.

Justin

Latest posts

Back