Picked up an Echo CS-6700 today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been looking for a larger saw that would handle larger firewood pieces than the 026 with a 16" bar. I needed something in a lower price range and that kind of ruled out a 266, 272, 044 etc.

I got an Echo CS-6700 in nice shape with a 20" bar and three Stihl Oilomatic 3 3/8 chisel chains for $160.
It starts great, runs hard and oils well.

I tuned the carb (it was running really rich) but the 7/32" files I have are pretty beat and the chains are really dull so I haven't been able to test it with a decent chain.

The guy got a 290 for his birthday and says it really cuts well. I'll bet it cuts a million times better than the 6700 because I'll bet the Stihl dealer didn't put the chain on the 290 on backwards.
Chains on backwards are good for cutting sod but do stay sharp longer though.

I think this saw will fill the bill for my needs.
DSCF2728.jpg

DSCF2729.jpg

A good buy on a nice looking Echo. I haven't owned a 6700, but I would jump on one if I ever come across a deal like yours.

Many chainsaws cut sod on a regular basis. I think most homeowners really have no idea that touching the ground with the chain for even one or two seconds can dull the chain. Ever been where someone is bucking a log and when the wood is moved it looks like the cross ties of a railroad track with evenly spaced cuts in the ground?

Like others say, the easiest way to improve performance of a saw is to have a sharp chain on it.

Very nice saw for that price, get some new files and try that puppy out.

I would have snagged that saw up in a second, that was a good buy. I think Echo makes a fine saw as well.

Bar and chain question for the CS-6700

I was looking at the chains and bar this morning.

The bar is an Oregon 208 D009 mount.

The chains are 3/8 pitch .050 ga

So... wrong bar mount, .050 chains running in an .058 bar

Bar seems to oil OK but mount slot is 1.5 mm taller than called for. Spec'd mount is D176

At least the pitch was OK.

I've seen quite a bit of mix and match on chains. Do you see the same?

What’s the downside to running the D009 bar on this saw? Seems to oil OK and adjuster fits OK.
Will the bar angle (tipped up higher due to slot size) cause a weird wear on the bar/chain?

I think I should have stayed in bed.

Back