Picked Up My New 361 Today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sawinredneck said:
Brutus.......................//////////////////////falldown\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\go/////////////BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andy
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>YUP... HE DID<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<:buttkick: Thanks for the offer Andy but I only gotta eat 1/2 of the bill as my experienced tree cutting friend stuck it in da tree :censored: I was only a witnessing mourner :rolleyes: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

talon1189 said:
my experienced tree cutting friend stuck it in da tree :censored: I was only a witnessing mourner :rolleyes: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Gotta lov you're friends:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :biggrinbounce2:

wagonwheeler said:
I think it's Lake and FHCW's fault for giving you unrealistic expectations.:hmm3grin2orange:

Why? Because I post pics like this-

attachment.php

Like Gary said, the 361 is worth every penny. I use it the most next to my 660.

Lucky

fishhuntcutwood said:
Why? Because I post pics like this-

attachment.php

Like Gary said, the 361 is worth every penny. I use it the most next to my 660.

You lucky ducks over there on the west coast. DAMN I wish I could cut big trees like that. I always wanted to. We get some bigguns here, but nothing even close to what you guys have out there. Consider yourself lucky. I shall get out there someday to cut stuff like that. On the topic of pricing, yea, I'm not going to pay a ton of extra money just for a name. If I run into problems in the future with a purchase that I've made, I'll work out some kinda deal to fix it. I absolutely REFUSE to pay an extra $120 for the same exact saw hp/cc, just for the name. I won't do it. Not even if my mother was building them from scratch and giving me a good deal on it. How can people justify spending almost double on a 2 hp saw? Why would you do that? For almost double what I'm going to spend, I can almost buy 2 saws. If maintained well, is that other saw going to run 2 times as long? I doubt it. People SHOULD get 20yrs out of a chainsaw I think. I know a Stihl will, my husky should, but if not, I can buy another one and still have saved money in the long run. Now were it a bigger saw, I'd prolly buy a Stihl for sure. But that's investing like $500-1000 bucks. The average person is only investing like 2 or 300 bucks if that on a 30-50cc saw. If you could spend $150 or $500 for an occasional use saw or just to cut a couple cord here or there you'd be absolutely crazy to spend 3 or 4 times as much money just for a name. That's a whole lotta saws you could buy to equal out. On the subject of the 290 to a 361, I looked up the specs. Not sure if I'm correct but hear me out. My 041 is at 3.9hp, that's what Stihl told me when I called'em, my 266XP is at 4.4hp, I can't really see a whole lot of difference in them in the bigger logs. This is about the same exact difference in the saw we are comparing here. Now in smaller stuff, the 266 goes away the winner, but bigger stuff, the Stihl torque just runs like a champ. Course they are older saws, but comparitively speaking, I dont see a huge difference like if I fire up my 044 that's a 5hp saw. Just my .02 and I hope I don't discourage you dude. That's a really nice saw you got. But doesn't everyone think he'd see a much larger difference if he went with a saw that way say a full hp difference??? I wish we could get torque specs on saws. That'd be the key I think...

Ok cisco, if a person is only cutting 1-2 cords a year they may as well buy a craftsman or Husky 350 and be happy.
We push pro saws because they last longer, weigh less and have more power. Bring out you're 266 and we will run side by side with my 046BB, it's night and day!! My Husky 262xp vs the Stihl ms 390 was night and day, same size saw, but the Stihl wieghed more and had less power, it's now gone!!
Then, you are not comparing apples to apples, you are comparing internet prices to dealer prices. Go to you're local Husky dealer and price those saws, big difference!!! Get you're saws online, let me know how you're waranty work comes out!!!
Let's compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges!!!
Andy

Yip

sawinredneck said:
Ok cisco, if a person is only cutting 1-2 cords a year they may as well buy a craftsman or Husky 350 and be happy.
We push pro saws because they last longer, weigh less and have more power. Bring out you're 266 and we will run side by side with my 046BB, it's night and day!! My Husky 262xp vs the Stihl ms 390 was night and day, same size saw, but the Stihl wieghed more and had less power, it's now gone!!
Then, you are not comparing apples to apples, you are comparing internet prices to dealer prices. Go to you're local Husky dealer and price those saws, big difference!!! Get you're saws online, let me know how you're waranty work comes out!!!
Andy

That's why I was wondering dude. Can you compare a husky 4.4hp saw to a Stihl 4.4hp saw???
I've been trying to get that answered for 2 weeks now...

ciscoguy01 said:
That's why I was wondering dude. Can you compare a husky 4.4hp saw to a Stihl 4.4hp saw???
I've been trying to get that answered for 2 weeks now...

Alright Duuuuuuuuude............... apples to apples it's a Husky 357xp ( good saw in it's own right) vs. an ms 361, even the Husky guys will give you this one.

ms 361 4.4 hp 12.3lbs runs a 16"-28" (softwood)

357x 4.4hp 12.1pds runs a 16"-24"(softwood)

357 is an awsome saw, would gladly run one, 361 is a better saw, can't give prices, call you're dealers!!
Andy

Nice!!!

sawinredneck said:
Alright Duuuuuuuuude............... apples to apples it's a Husky 357xp ( good saw in it's own right) vs. an ms 361, even the Husky guys will give you this one.

357 is an awsome saw, would gladly run one, 361 is a better saw, can't give prices, call you're dealers!!
Andy

Perfect. That's what I was wondering and what I thought from the getgo. Like in other threads in here I was saying that I thought Stihls had more umph! than the huskys even though the husky's were rated at same or more hp. You won't notice it just letting the saw fall down and cut the wood, but in bigger stuff where your using your dogs to really torque into the wood, that's where the most difference is I believe, or used to be with Stihls. Put a JR, a Husky, and a Stihl side by side with same bar and same exact hp, I think the stihl would come out on top. My personal opinion...

sawinredneck said:
Andy

yep.. don't get suckered into comparing just HP, or even weight.. there's much more to the puzzle!

cisco, I LOVE:heart: Husky 50cc saws!!!!! I really LOVE them!!!! Light fast feel nice in the hands rev like crazy throw chips everywhere, awsome saws!!! BUT........... DO NOT try and load them!!! Just let the saw cut and don't push it, let it cut. You want to load the saw, get a Stihl, they seem to have less revs, more tourqe, the exception being the 192t, which is so much like a Husky the Stihl guys hate them LOL!!!!
Never run a big Husky, so I can't say about them, seem like ine saws, would have bought one no problem, just got too good of a deal on the 046, and I figure they work on the same principle, lots of rev's not as much tourqe, ok if you know how to use it, I just like the tourqe stumping.
Andy

Torque

sawinredneck said:
cisco, I LOVE:heart: Husky 50cc saws!!!!! I really LOVE them!!!! Light fast feel nice in the hands rev like crazy throw chips everywhere, awsome saws!!! BUT........... DO NOT try and load them!!! Just let the saw cut and don't push it, let it cut. You want to load the saw, get a Stihl, they seem to have less revs, more tourqe, the exception being the 192t, which is so much like a Husky the Stihl guys hate them LOL!!!!
Never run a big Husky, so I can't say about them, seem like ine saws, would have bought one no problem, just got too good of a deal on the 046, and I figure they work on the same principle, lots of rev's not as much tourqe, ok if you know how to use it, I just like the tourqe stumping.
Andy

Yea, I'm a huge torque guy. Like I said, I can't seem to break myself of really using those dogs to rip through the wood. That's the whole fun in sawing for me. I bought the wifey the husky cause it was 1/2 the price of the same size stihl, and it'll stop her from really pushing it down to cut wood, maybe save some money on chains from her smashing it into stones, lol. She cut with it for about 2 hours today and loves it. That's all that counts eh? I just hope the dude really likes his 361. They are nice saws for sure...:chainsaw:

Lakeside53 said:
yep.. don't get suckered into comparing just HP, or even weight.. there's much more to the puzzle!
You know as well as I do the biggest part of the puzzle is the operator.
Not the saw.
When I hear that Stihl has more grunt I have to laugh.
Anybody who think that they are cutting faster because they are "Grunting" there saw. Needs to learn to lighten up on the load and then watch the chips fly.

manual said:
Not the saw.
Anybody who think that they are cutting faster because they are "Grunting" there saw. Needs to learn to lighten up on the load and then watch the chips fly.

second that

sawinredneck said:

Andy
Right, except that the 357xp weights a lot more than stated by Husky - 5.9 kg, or about 13 lbs, maybe 12.9.....

manual said:
Not the saw.

I agree that its all about technique and to my thinking many inexperienced cutters don't keep the revs up, especially with the usual crosscutting. But with cutting up big blocks using sidegrain cuts or blocking big expensive burls, most pros like some midrange torque as the cutting is often by feel and not WOT. Hard to explain exactly, but a lot of cuts require a sensitivity to the way the saw is cutting at that moment (depending on grain orientation and specific wood) that is at least at certain times requires backing off a bit and feeling how the chain is cutting at that moment and adjusting pressure, throttle, angle of the saw etc to get best results. Takes lots of practice, but having a saw with midrange grunt makes this easier.

In terms of Huskies my 395 has decent pull throughout the rpm range, although my 371 does not and needs to be on the pipe. 066 a bit better yet in this regard. Surprisingly, to me anyway, is my newish 7900 has a wonderful flat power to rpm curve and is well suitted to blocking out burls and such up through a maybe 28 inch bar. But for crossgrain of course it is really just about keeping the revs up.

Latest posts

Back