Pine Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smsmsm

Reaction score
WE HAVE A COUPLE OF PINE TREES THAT HAVE BEEN CUT DOWN DUE TO DAMAGE FROM STORMS. HOW LONG SHOULD WE WAIT BEFORE TRYING TO BURN THEM? I KNOW SOME TREES HAVE A CERTAIN NUMBER OF DAYS FOR OPTIMAL BURNING. HOW LONG IS IT FOR PINES?

Here in Connecticut, nobody burns pine in a fireplace or woodstove, except maybe for kindling. It creates too much pitch with all that sap and is a danger for chimney fires.

If you are just looking to burn it to get rid of it, I'd wait a month or so. The smaller wood will dry out quicker, the trunks may take longer. Green pine needles create a ton of smoke, the longer you wait the less smoke you will have.

Newt is correct about burning pine in fireplaces. Virtually every chimney fire I have heard about can be attributed to burning pine in the fireplace and not cleaning out the flue regularly.

I know folks who burn pine,and a lot of it. These houses are old,old,old too.Heart pine the whole darn house.From back when tobacco was king in these part.These are the folks who will also burn tires.If these old places can handle it where do you draw the line?Dryer the better,and update your smoke alarms.I would not recommend burning it.

They probably sweep the chimney about as often as I cut my yard, too. The problem arises from a combination of burning sappy wood and lack of proper maintenance of the flue. Virtually all chimney fires are in chimneys that have been neglected for years in combination with burning the wrong types of wood. Which would be about typical for someone who didn't know better and moved in a house with a fireplace.

We still haven't found out if this guy wants firewood or just a burn pile to get rid of debris.:confused:

Latest posts

Back