Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bruce

You have contributed a lot to this Pioneer thread Bruce .I know your thing is McCullough saws, but don't think for a minute that your going to go sneaking off.
Lawrence

That 3270 is a great saw. It's 58cc's I believe. I just repaired one for a guy in New Jersey and was surprised by the high RPM's that they make. A little on the loud side but it sounded great! If you need a few parts, maybe I can help. I have primer diaphragms but not the primer body itself.
Brendon.

gday guys, The only time mine revs hard is just before it runs out of fuel,adjusting the H/L screws don't help . I think it needs a carby kit.

I don't plan on using it i just want to restore it to sit on a display cabinet inside. " my wife thinks I'm crazy"..:) eventually i will have three Canadian saws
inside all from the 1960's.
Brendon, thanks for the parts offer but i need primer body, by the way the
3270 is 77cc.

:cheers: gmax

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1947.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

Your 3270 is a bigger version of this 1450 and were made between 1969 and 1972. They were considered a fast cutting chainsaw in their day. My 1450 seen a lot of cutting from 1966 until 1969 and the primer diaphragm went bad. It is now back in active service and runs and cuts as well as it did when new.
Pioneerguy600

You have contributed a lot to this Pioneer thread Bruce .I know your thing is McCullough saws, but don't think for a minute that your going to go sneaking off.
Lawrence
Lawrence.
I was just seeing if anybody on this thread noticed, that an all yell er, and black man was hanging around LOL.
I've been always fascinated with chainsaws, it doesn't matter what make, or model, of the Old Stuff. This new stuff, doesn't turn my crank, same as Tractors, and Farm Equipment in general.
Ever since 1973, when I was 7 or 8, we moved onto the Farm, after the House was built. My parents bought this Farm, in 1971, and it was just a bare 50 Acres with no buildings.
My Bus picked me up, and dropped me off, at the corner, and when I got off the Bus in the Fall, if I heard a Chain Saw, I knew that it was my Great Uncle, cutting fire wood for his own use, I'd run like the wind to the House. Quit often, as soon as I ran through the door of the House, my Mother would grab me, change me out of my School Clothes, and I was gone to the Bush, to be with my Great Uncle. Some times She was on the Phone, and I just dropped my books, and I was Gone To The Bush, School Clothes And All.
When I got to the Bush, my Great Uncle would either walk me back to the House, or send me back to the House, to get changed.
At that young of age, I Got A Bad Case Of Saw Dust in my Veins, and a Real Bad Edict-ion For Chain Saws. LOL.
I've enjoyed being here on AS, and Enjoy looking at Pictures, of these Old Chain Saws, seeing how other makes, and models where made, and how they looked. When I get older, and have tons of money, I'm going to start collecting other Chain Saws as well.
Like I said before, I've been always fascinated with pretty much any type of equipment of the wood cutting industry, even Cross Cut Saws. I have one of those too, at an Auction Sale, and that needs cleaning up, and the blade sharpened. Some day, I'm going to figure out how to sharpen and set the blade on it as well, and for kicks, cut some wood with it. I even have an old Buss Saw that some one built here that I picked up last spring from a Farm Equipment dealer. I traded a Grain Auger that I didn't need any7 longer, because I have a multi purpose elevator that handles both Bales, and Grain.
I'm 42 years old, and would rather use the Older Equipment a head of the Newer Equipment. Go Figure. It should be the other way around, with my Generation Any Way. Bruce.

gday guys, The only time mine revs hard is just before it runs out of fuel,adjusting the H/L screws don't help . I think it needs a carby kit.

I don't plan on using it i just want to restore it to sit on a display cabinet inside. " my wife thinks I'm crazy"..:) eventually i will have three Canadian saws
inside all from the 1960's.
Brendon, thanks for the parts offer but i need primer body, by the way the
3270 is 77cc.

:cheers: gmax

I'm sorry, but i think your Wife is Crazy. I'd personaly build a display cabinet to put above the TV, to put those Chain Saws, and when you sit down to watch a Chick Flick with Her, You'd have someting to look at, while She Watches, and You Can Pretend to Watch it with Her. LOL. Bruce.

Bruce, That's a good idea, during the commercial breaks i could watch my own
flicks.. like this one,

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j3RbavOl43E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j3RbavOl43E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Besides she has 3 sewing machines so i figure its only fair that i have at least
10 chainsaws:greenchainsaw:

Pioneerguy600,

It sure is loud, almost as loud as my Dolmar 143, do you know when Pioneer stopped making chainsaws?

Hi gmax, welcome to the site by the way. The true Pioneer saws were made up until some time around 1983-84 and then they were merged with Partner and the saws from around 1984 on were Pioneer/ Partner saws made by EMAB of Sweden. Electrolux who ownes and makes Huskvarna was the parent company behind PARTNER and then Pioneer and there line of saws seem to stop around 1988.
Pioneerguy600

Hi Pioneerguy600, Thanks for the info, if my 3270 restoration looks as good as
the one in your avatar, I'll be happy.
gmax

Hi gmax; Thats what we are here for to dole out info about our hobby, the saw in my avatar is a restored Pioneer 600 from 1957. They are a lot heavier and slower revving than your 3270. It is suprising what a coat of paint can do for these old magnesium saws. First I do a complete mechanical rebuild and overhaul and then completely strip all the paint down to bare metal. Apply etch primer and two coats of epoxy paint,very durable and gas resistant stuff.Have fun with your project and keep us updated on the progress.
Pioneerguy600

Hi guy`s ,just thought I would let all know that I will be away on vacation until the first of Sept. just in case one of you ask me a question or try to contact me I don`t want anyone to think I was ignoring them. Have a great couple of weeks and I will check back in when I return.
Pioneerguy600

Hi guy`s ,just thought I would let all know that I will be away on vacation until the first of Sept. just in case one of you ask me a question or try to contact me I don`t want anyone to think I was ignoring them. Have a great couple of weeks and I will check back in when I return.
Pioneerguy600

Jerry.
Have a good Vacation. Bruce.

Any chance of posting the brand of paint that you use and the paint code number. Is it the same colour as the P series saws?

The Pioneer saws used a paint scheem that varied a lot from the early IEL`s ,the 600 series and then the later 1000,2000 and 3000 series. The P series was different again so its a hit and miss job to get paint to match these saws by series and year to year production runs. We paint a lot of heavy equipment and vehicles so I get our paint supplier to mix us basically a custom mix for three to five saws of the same series and years at a time and try to do them all in a row. I have taken the paint back so often to get a little green or yellow added to get as close as possible to a match up that the guy cringes when I come in through the door. LOL The P series saws are more green than the 600 series saws that are a little more pale yellow. I have used paint from many sources but am using a marine two part made by ICI if I remember correctly but I will check out the can when I get back and post numbers, it is currently mixed for 600 series saws.

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

This paint on the saw above would be a little too yellow for the P series saws.

Any chance of posting the brand of paint that you use and the paint code number. Is it the same colour as the P series saws?
I was trying to send you a private message to you, about the possibility of Me having some tree tops for sale. They are Ash, and Soft Maple. If your interested email me @ [email protected] Thanks. Bruce.

Belgian,you could use a few parts to make that old Pioneer run. Are they hard to find over there? I could send you what you need but does it cost a lot to get them through what we call Customs duty over here?
Pioneerguy600

Well, thanks to brother Jerry, I now got a few like new parts to complete my pioneer 600. :yourock:

I will post of pic when she's finished and barks again. As far as I know, this will be the first chainsaw restoration to occur in Belgium with the kind sponsorship of canadian citizens :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Jerry deserves a belgian beer and lots of rep !!!
:agree2: :cheers:

Pioneer clearing saw?

Hi Guy's
Well awhile back I had mentioned to Jerry about the purchase of unseen Pioneer saws and what I was told was also a Pioneer weedwacker.Well I made the trip to my sister's last week and had a visit with her and picked up the saws.P39 and and 2 #1074's in various states of shape.Well there on the shed floor was this really odd looking contraption a Pioneer 1200 attached to a housing with a shaft and end piece.The shaft of this thing also has a Pioneer decal on it.This is a factory made thing.I can not fully read the manufacturers label as it is hid by the exhaust deflector,but appears to read Ronco.I think this thing is a clearing saw it is in excellent shape will post pics when she is cleaned up.Do you guy's have any info on this baby?Maybe pictures of any?Did it come from the Pioneer Factory like this?Or is this a aftermarket thing?The clearing part ie.shaft and no engine seem to be about the same age as the engine,and the shaft does have the Pioneer logo on it.Please jump in with any info_Oh yeah there is no blade on it just a nut and washers.
Lawrence

Last edited:
I know that Pioneer/Partner made clearing saws in the 80's but I have never heard of anything that old being built by Pioneer. You said that it was a 1200 powerhead? Could it have been replaced? Looking forward to pics.

Back