Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mile9, nice aquisitions, are you going to restore those? I love those big Western spikes.

I just bought another P61 and a P42 today for overhaul ($100 each with low compression but otherwise nice). I'll probably sell them them after they are done. I think they were on the block for parts. I hate to see that.

Not a full 100% restore. But I plan on getting them running as good as possible. Money and time. Then, well I'm going to use the living heck out of it. I would love to be able to buy more Pioneer/Pioneer/Partner saws. Just something about them that I like. Hopefully my friend can keep in touch with me about the parts.

Kenny

Mile9,
From the looks of things, the P60 series saw should be a P62. Turn it over and there should be a plate under the handle that has a number on it. It should also have a (I think) roundish coil instead of a rectangular one. I cut all my firewood this year (+/- 8 cords) with my P61 and P62. Love 'em!

E. C. Jones

Well. I done what you said, and there is no plate under the handle. But that wont stop me from fixing her up.

You sure it's not a P-50 series? All the P60s had a manual oil pump on the top handle mount.

That's what I was planning on doing. Well JJ. I do have good news though. Come Wednesday, I start working again. Either with the thinning crew or if my boss is right. I will work with the falling crew. That would be a plus on my side.

That's what I was planning on doing. Well JJ. I do have good news though. Come Wednesday, I start working again. Either with the thinning crew or if my boss is right. I will work with the falling crew. That would be a plus on my side.

Are you guys doing hazard trees again? What about the fuels reduction thing, is that something you guys will be working on? Sounds like fun.

Are you guys doing hazard trees again? What about the fuels reduction thing, is that something you guys will be working on? Sounds like fun.

Hazard snags and trees. That's the bill right there. Fuels Reduction/Thinning. I call it thinning. It's much easier for most to understand. But yes, we are doing both of them. Pond maintenance as well. All of them require cutting and that's where I like to be.

But did the P50's series ever come out with a dual dog set up? The "Western Style?" From what I've seen on Mike Acres site, the answer would be no. When I get around to it, next weekend. I'm going to tear the jug off and measure the bore.

Pics of a P62

Here are pics of my P62. If you are lucky, it has a tag on the bottom handle that will have a model number. Mine did not, but I think it was one of the last true Pioneers before they became Pioneer Partner or whatever. Anyway, I think you needed the full wrap handle for the manual oiler, but I could be wrong, and I think both were options. However, I'm not an expert. I have two of the P60 series saws. I use both to cut big, already down Ponderosa in the mountains for firewood. You don't have to cut very long to fill up a pickup load. Enjoy. Hope the pics help.

E. C. Jones
View attachment 86285

View attachment 86286

View attachment 86287

The manual oiler was available with or without the full-wrap handle. Yours has the "Western" package which was all-inclusive with the handle, oiler, big dawgs, and non-governed carb. Some of the later western saws also came with two-stage reeds.

Here are pics of my P62. If you are lucky, it has a tag on the bottom handle that will have a model number. Mine did not, but I think it was one of the last true Pioneers before they became Pioneer Partner or whatever. Anyway, I think you needed the full wrap handle for the manual oiler, but I could be wrong, and I think both were options. However, I'm not an expert. I have two of the P60 series saws. I use both to cut big, already down Ponderosa in the mountains for firewood. You don't have to cut very long to fill up a pickup load. Enjoy. Hope the pics help.

E. C. Jones
View attachment 86285

View attachment 86286

View attachment 86287

Well E.C., there isn't a data tag under the handle. So I am going to have to measure the bore. Whatever model it is, it's a Western. Big dogs, full wrap, 34" B&C. Come next week. Carb kit needs to be ordered. I pray to god himself that I don't need a coil.

Thanks!

I never knew what the difference was. I've also got a P61 that is not quite as worn. Both saws still cut well, or at least they did. I need to redo the oiler on the 62, and the 61 is leaking air somewhere. Good thing I got all my wood in.

E. C. Jones

Okay, so I thought I bought a P60 but I guess it is not that big. The metal tag on the bottom of the saw is missing (I had my dad check and he might not be looking in the right spot). Is there any features that are easy to identify between the P40, P50 and P60 besides the oiler. I am pretty convinced I don't have a P60 at this point, as it doesn't have the manual oiler. So how do I know what model of saw I have without the metal ID tag, or pictures to post?

Found a picture, not a close up one but it should help. It is the Pioneer on the bottom with the yellow pull handle (if you couldn't figure it out for yourself ;)). Thanks guys.

P1010577.JPG

Last edited:
I'd guess P50, The P40 series is the same physical size as that Farmsaw. The P51 has a black top, so yeah, I'd guess P50.

The only real difference between the 50s & 60s that I know of was the bore size.

Last edited:
Well yall. I measured the bore of the big saw. 2.25" I am a proud owner of a P60. Yet it still doesn't have the manual oiler. I can tell you this, it does look like someone tried to port it a little.

PS. Anyone got a spare piston for a Pioneer/Partner P45? I kind of need one now since I have 3 saws to fix. P60, P45, P42. 3 saws in one box. :cheers:

PSS. Is it possible to get the crank and piston of a P60 into a P55/P52 crank case?

Last edited:
Back