Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the info jerry ive started pulling it down and cleaning it. im quiet impressed with its condition as far as being clean and tidy. i will post some pics later today once ive figured out how to drive my new computer

P28's and such

I second the motion that anyone who has an air filter or cover for the later style of 52 cc'ers hangs onto them like a platinum bar. Rare does not describe these parts.
Lawrence, the vibration dampeners of the P28 are a bear to remove. What I did was grab onto the rubber with a Vice-grip and twist. If the rubber broke, I'd cut off the rest of the rubber off down to the metal. At that point, it's just a flat metal screw left. I drill two holes into the flat plate at opposite ends, insert the appropriate sized metal rods (allen keys in my case) and turn it out. Simple as pie! Ya right. The vibration dampeners were a great idea for the big saws but a disappointment for the small saws. That is why I do not own a P28. I thought it was over-engineered and prone to failure. The vibration of the 1074, P26 etcetera is minimal anyways. They just got too fancy. What they SHOULD have done was build them with two screw carbs... now that would have been smart! If anyone knows of a two screw carb to replace the WA-22 I'd sure be happy to hear about it.
As far a assembling the jigsaw puzzle of plastic pieces in the P28 handle, I can't help you there. If any are broken, I may be able to help.
The chainbrake was optional and also an add-on from the dealer.
Fun saws when they work right.

cylinder mod

Hi guys, maybe I should post this in a different thread but I'm thinking of making a mod to a P62 cylinder that I have. There is a bit of chrome chipped off in the small area between the intake ports on one side and was thinking of grinding out that adjoining area altogether and making the two ports one. I'd do the same to the opposite side intake port as well just to keep it symmetrical. The two new large intake ports would be roughly the same size as the exhaust port.
My one worry would be that it might make the cylinder more succeptible to ring failure.
Has anyone tried anything like this with these Mahle cylinders?

Last edited:
welcome

Welcome to the site, Phil. It seems that Pioneers were plentiful in Australia at one time. Just wondering, does your P40 have a 2-piece ignition? Is it hard to come by parts down under?

... Just wondering, does your P40 have a 2-piece ignition?

That's an interesting question. I thought all P40s had points/cond. and coil :confused: Pretty sure the 41s had a 2 piece with a trigger module and coil similar in principle to the Homelite pro series (350-750). I'd never heard of P40s with this though.

Dan

Alright. I know I promised some photos of my P42HP when I got it done. Well its been a long while since its been done. The whole breaking leg/lay off thing kind of has me bummed. So I pulled it out and took some shots of it.

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u8/mile9socounty/Saw Folder/?action=view&current=PC190362.jpg
http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u8/mile9socounty/Saw Folder/?action=view&current=PC190363.jpg
http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u8/mile9socounty/Saw Folder/?action=view&current=PC190364.jpg

Now thats dressed with a 32" B&C. Yes it pulls it just fine.

cool saws

Those Pioneers are some cool ol saws. I have a friend that owns one and he is from South Fla. I have seen it run before but not used.

It appears they must have been made in Canada because most of the guys with them are from there...am I right? What kind of HP ratings do some of the big ones have? Are they still made? I'm a little guy with a stihl and a twenty five lb bow saw made in the mid 1960's and it will cut. Thanks in advance for any replies....FullCry

Those Pioneers are some cool ol saws. I have a friend that owns one and he is from South Fla. I have seen it run before but not used.

It appears they must have been made in Canada because most of the guys with them are from there...am I right? What kind of HP ratings do some of the big ones have? Are they still made? I'm a little guy with a stihl and a twenty five lb bow saw made in the mid 1960's and it will cut. Thanks in advance for any replies....FullCry

You are correct, the Pioneer chainsaws started out being made in BC , Canada and were called IEL which stood for Industrial Engineerrig Limited where they made the early chainsaws but the manufacturing was moved to Ontario when the OMC took over production and the saws made there were called Pioneers. Which of the saws do you need or want info on. If you Google chainsaw collectors you will find a site with info on almost all chainsaws, the site is looked after by a Canadian who lives in BC and his name is Mike Acres. Check that site out and report back to us and we may be able to fill in any missing specifics.
Pioneerguy600

Pioneer stuff

Hello Guys
Hey it's good to see some activity on this thread again after being kind of dormant for awhile.Along with the regular contributors it is also good to see some on here that we do not here from that often,including lesorubcheek(Dan). porky616, mile9socounty,welcome full cry and welcome to Phil Harris from down under.I was going to jump in on the info regarding the Pioneer's but a much more informed member beat me to it,Jerry.
Lawrence

Nice saw. I have two of them, one with the aluminum front handle and a newer one with the plastic handle. I cut about a hundred face cord of ash and hard maple firewood with the one in the last year. I run 20 inch bars on mine. Prefer the P51 and P62 for cutting larger hardwood as they have more power. Just like cutting softwood with the large saws.

Hello Guys
Hey it's good to see some activity on this thread again after being kind of dormant for awhile.Along with the regular contributors it is also good to see some on here that we do not here from that often,including lesorubcheek(Dan). porky616, mile9socounty,welcome full cry and welcome to Phil Harris from down under.I was going to jump in on the info regarding the Pioneer's but a much more informed member beat me to it,Jerry.
Lawrence

Well Lawrence thank you. It's been a while since I have posted in here. But I do keep tabs on the thread. I wish I could chime in on the Pioneer saws. But I only own half of one. Its a mix. It's still a good hard working saw. The only one I would never sell too. I would love to be able to get my hands on a P45 - P65 series. Just something about them that I like.

Kenny

PIONEER/PARTNER p45

hand guard and chain break assembly? where can i get one?
anybody have a parts saw hanging around.

Here is an old Pioneer that was given to me. It is in poor condition. It is missing the top engine cover and will only turn over about a half turn and then it locks up. I don't know what model it is. If any of you Pioneer guys can use it, it's yours for whatever it cost to ship it to you. If not it, I will toss it out. I'm cleaning house. Let me know soon. PM me

Here is an old Pioneer that was given to me. It is in poor condition. It is missing the top engine cover and will only turn over about a half turn and then it locks up. I don't know what model it is. If any of you Pioneer guys can use it, it's yours for whatever it cost to ship it to you. If not it, I will toss it out. I'm cleaning house. Let me know soon. PM me

PM sent. :clap:

Let me know also if you need any Stihl/Husky or possibly Jonsered stuff, and we'll do some trading. I like a good trade.

This saw has been spoken for.

Back