Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got me an old 450 on ebay. cant wait to get it and give her a run

That 450 looks all complete, do you plan on restoring it? I've almost finished restoring my 3270.

1-10.jpg

2-7.jpg

That's a great looking saw gmax! I have a 3200 I plan on restoring. I just need a bar and chain and a carb kit and some time of course. If you don't mind me asking, where do you get your parts from?

The only parts I need is an air filter and a primer bulb, other than that the saw was complete when I bought it.
Ebay would be a good place to look for parts, I'm going to use a Walbro Primer Bulb and cut some air filter foam to size.

Hi gmax; Thats what we are here for to dole out info about our hobby, the saw in my avatar is a restored Pioneer 600 from 1957. They are a lot heavier and slower revving than your 3270. It is suprising what a coat of paint can do for these old magnesium saws. First I do a complete mechanical rebuild and overhaul and then completely strip all the paint down to bare metal. Apply etch primer and two coats of epoxy paint,very durable and gas resistant stuff.Have fun with your project and keep us updated on the progress.
Pioneerguy600

I just finished putting the 3270 back together
1Large-16.jpg

2Large-11.jpg

3Large-5.jpg

4Large-1.jpg

:cheers:

wow gmax that 3270 looks great! yeah i gonna restore the 450 got a 600 here too thats mid restore just waiting on a few bits

wow gmax that 3270 looks great! yeah i gonna restore the 450 got a 600 here too thats mid restore just waiting on a few bits

That 450 you got from ebay, am I right in thinking it was pick up only, no post?,
anyway these old saws look fantastic restored.
My next project will be a gear drive PM Canadien 271, just need to find some
1/2" chain.:cheers:

it was pick up only but i threw him an extra 50 to post it. i wanted that saw you dont see them very often

You did a great job on that 3270 gmax, those old magnesium saws really look great with a new paint job, I have 30 or so waiting for me to find time to get them painted, thats a lot of parts to strip and get ready for paint.
Pioneerguy600

Hi Jerry,

Your right it does take a long time, but these days I prefer to play around
with my chainsaws than watch TV, besides the end result makes it worthwhile.
I'm tempted to give the 3270 a run but I don't want to get it dirty:)

:cheers: gmax

That`s what happens when you go through all that work of painting them, you don`t want to mess them up so I try to get several of each model and have some restored and some to play with. To tell the truth the ones to play with are more fun but its also gratifying to look at a restored piece of history as well. Just my thoughts.
Pioneerguy600

Hi gmax

Geeeezzzz! That 3270 is super what a great job.how did you paint it?What type of tools did you use to get the job done?Looks to have a clear coat of some kind also,am I right?Nice work!
Lawrence

hello pioneerguy600,propliner and all you other fine Pioneer collectors

Made my first craigslist purchase last night ,it's a Pioneer P28 in fairly good shape.Price $25.00 and 1 hour drive out and back to pick it up.Needs a muffler and a bar clean up for starters.Has some sort of vibration dampening system on it my other P series saws 25, 26,20 do not have this.So This is a good find for me and another saw for the collection.Oh yea one small minuscule chip on one corner of the plastic air filter cover.
Talk Later
Lawrence

Made my first craigslist purchase last night ,it's a Pioneer P28 in fairly good shape.Price $25.00 and 1 hour drive out and back to pick it up.Needs a muffler and a bar clean up for starters.Has some sort of vibration dampening system on it my other P series saws 25, 26,20 do not have this.So This is a good find for me and another saw for the collection.Oh yea one small minuscule chip on one corner of the plastic air filter cover.
Talk Later
Lawrence

Good find there Lawrence, its hard to find P series saws that have a good airfilter cover as you already know. I have looked at more than a dozen P 20`s to P 28`s and they all have broken top covers. Some of them I could have for free but I don`t want to start collecting them also as MY COLLECTION IS GROWING OUT OF CONTROL! LOL. Most recent saws are working saws for wood cutting and are of the orange and white variety. Of course I wouldn`t turn down a 600 or model J in any kind of shape.
Gmax did a bang up job on that 3070, that paint job is sic.
Pioneerguy600

600?

Here it is, seller said it is a 600, dad thought it has the wrong top cover for a 600. He bought a new one back in his logging days. Men were different then, I wouldn't want to work with this thing.

Here it is, seller said it is a 600, dad thought it has the wrong top cover for a 600. He bought a new one back in his logging days. Men were different then, I wouldn't want to work with this thing.

I think Dad is right, that top cover does look different than the 600s I've seen. Are you going to do a restoration?

Yeah, men were different. They were doing what they needed to to survive, whatever it took. I remember in 1977, my dad came home from working in a logging camp, living in an old canvas army tent for six months out in the weather.:(

Back