Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The seller on Ebay with the full wrap handle and all the other NOS parts looks like his are original Pioneer decals??

Those are NOS original decals and are in great shape, they are not yellow or peeling off the paper. I just picked up a couple.
Those full wrap handles look nice and the price is right, but they look like the have a grey wrap on them.[/QUOTE]

The full wrap handle I received has the aluminium unpainted with the (Black) rubber grip. The seller also has P455 full wrap handles that I think will fit P40's, 41's, & 42's.

I have been desiring an RA for some time, finally linked up with one. Turns over nicely with great compression, but will obviously need a lot of work.

When I get to this one I will be coming back (and back, and back) for help and advice. Thanks in advance...

196150d1314022306-dscn5116-jpg

196151d1314022307-dscn5117-jpg

Should this saw have the "kick stand" for holding it down with your foot while starting? I am not sure if that was standard kit on the RA's but I know I've seen it on a number of other saws. There was also a nice 620, a runner, that was sold in the swap meet for $25.

Mark

I have been desiring an RA for some time, finally linked up with one. Turns over nicely with great compression, but will obviously need a lot of work.

When I get to this one I will be coming back (and back,

Should this saw have the "kick stand" for holding it down with your foot while starting? I am not sure if that was standard kit on the RA's but I know I've seen it on a number of other saws.

Mark,...the RA should have a foot peg to help with starting, it mounts like the one on my saw in the pict below.

View attachment 196211

When I get to this one I will be coming back (and back,

Should this saw have the "kick stand" for holding it down with your foot while starting? I am not sure if that was standard kit on the RA's but I know I've seen it on a number of other saws.

Mark,...the RA should have a foot peg to help with starting, it mounts like the one on my saw in the pict below.

View attachment 196211

Seen that pic before.And I still like looking at it :rock: Dam thats NICE !!! :clap:

pioneer partner 400

All I know about them is what I just read at acres site. Got a easy runner, just threw some fresh mix in it, with a sandvik bar. The chain has the world's lowest cutters and highest rakers and safety bumps ever, might be why I got the saw, did two test alleged cuts in pine...I know I'll be taking the files to that thing soon...

So, any good, crap, so-so, good swap stuff, should I keep it and just run it, what? At 40 ccs it is so darn close to my little husky I am tempted to swap it with some other stuff for a larger saw maybe...because that is what I really need, I have several smallish saws on under or around the bench as it is now.

Was this a homeowner or "farmer poser" saw, or a small limbing pro saw? For it's age it seems to have nice features and definitely revs on up. Feels solid. Smokes some, but I haven't touched it yet other than a small test run. Muffler looks *rather* restrictive as well.

I'm a newbie to chainsaws, but just picked up a P62 that I hope to use for milling. I paid $300 for it and a John Deere CS81. Hope I did oK.

I searched this thread but couldn't find a user manual for it, though I would have bet it is here somewhere in the 400 pages. Does anyone have a link for a manual ? I did find the Parts diagrams. I had trouble starting my saw, but I am pretty sure I am doing something wrong as it started up fine for the guy who sold it to me. Actually I did start it twice but it sputtered out once I gave it some throttle.

I fully admit I could be doing something wrong, I'm not very knowledgeable about engines (dont really know what a choke, compression, etc are, lol ) and a lot of the discussion in this thread is WAY over my head. Is there a "chainsaws for dummies" or "engines for dummies" sort of primer out there ?

Finally, does anyone know a good tech or mechanic I could bring my saw to for a checkup or tuneup ? I am in Toronto, Canada but the saw will "live" two hours north, near Orillia in my cottage, so I could go anywhere reasonable from either location for the right person. I'd like to know everything is running properly and just as importantly, is safe.

Thank you everyone. I've learned a lot by lurking here the last few weeks.

Terry

Welcome Terry;
I'm not a whole lot more knowledgeable than you. There are a couple that frequent here that are very into Pioneer.
I have a Pioneer Farmsaw I bought new 1979 or 80 that has been very good to me. And I think for a straight forward well designed saw your Pioneer can't be beat.

Your Deere is likely an efco (Italian) and from the specs a very good saw. Parts and dealer support may be difficult.
MT 8200 | efco Power

I prefer the local Stihl mechanics even for my Husqvarna. Any mechanic IMO should be near the elevation you will use your saw otherwise a lean condition may result.

Again Welcome
Lou

I'm a newbie to chainsaws, but just picked up a P62 that I hope to use for milling. I paid $300 for it and a John Deere CS81. Hope I did oK.

Terry
There is a link to "OM"s and "IPL"s. I think if you look closely at the 181 you may be pleasantly surprised.
Lou

Lou, thanks for the welcome. I figured you meant to look on p 181 of this thread (!), I started reading there and saw discussion about setting up a repository of files but I didn't see a conclusion and then the discussion started petering off. Did I miss it a link for the manual somewhere ? I believe "OM" will not come up in a search (too short a keyword).

I figure you guys like pictures so here is what I bought on the Pioneer side:
Pioneer-P62-1-M.jpg

Pioneer-P62-2-M.jpg

Pioneer-P62-3-M.jpg

Hi Guys, just to let you know, I still have a few parts for the Pioneers for sale. If you need something, just send me a PM and I'll see if I have it. I'm no longer on Ebay but still have a fairly good collection of stuff including a new shipment of NOS hardware. -Propliner
do you still have a air filter cover for a pioneer 1074. mine is all brittle and getting busted up thank
Gregg [email protected]

NuggyBuggy and I have had quite an extensive PM conversation. I think I answered his questions but:
  • He says he cannot post here again without approval?
  • Is a P62 equipped with a manual compression release (for me as well as him)?
  • I gave him a copy of my OM that is also applicable to a P60, he is still in need of the correct OM for his saw.
Thanks
Lou

Lou,

I discovered I can post but it seems that i couldn't post without approval if the post had images. I've made an inquiry as to whether that is routine policy for new users. I had images of my new saws i wanted to share.

Lou,

I discovered I can post but it seems that i couldn't post without approval if the post had images. I've made an inquiry as to whether that is routine policy for new users. I had images of my new saws i wanted to share.

You can't post pics till you make a certain number of posts, 10 maybe?

It's the spammer software.

The first photos I posted were not restricted in any way... They were also on stone tablets :msp_tongue: :msp_rolleyes:.
I filed away the manual decomp for later.
Thanks
Lou

Latest posts

Back