Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P51 P60 Swap

I've got a good P51 that I would like to make into a P60,will a P60 p&c fit on a P51?

It an easy swap. The parts will bolt right on. Same lower unit. I have done a few. You could also drill a hole in the top handle and change out the oil pump as well if you want to add the extra manual oiler for longer bars.
jeff

Speaking of swaps, will a p50 cylinder bolt on to a farmsaw?

No. A farmsaw is sort of the same chassis as a P-40/41, same cc's, and the 50/60 series are bigger bottom end. Everything is bigger including the case.

38 mm stroke for a p-50 versus 36.5 for a farmsaw.

[ Mark,...the RA should have a foot peg to help with starting, it mounts like the one on my saw in the pict below.

View attachment 196211

Thanks Jerry,

It looks like mine had the mounts and the foot peg at one time, missing now. If you ever come across some spares please keep me in mind. I'd like to make this saw whole again some day.

196828d1314492640-dscn5148-jpg

Mark

Thanks Jerry,

It looks like mine had the mounts and the foot peg at one time, missing now. If you ever come across some spares please keep me in mind. I'd like to make this saw whole again some day.

196828d1314492640-dscn5148-jpg

Mark

Your RA would of had the footpeg and mounting brackets when new, a lot of them were removed or got broken. I will see if I can find one for you.

My new p62 isn't the easiest thing to start. I replaced the spark plugs then went to check the air filter. It is a flat piece of felt backed around the edges with rubber. The only filters I see available are on eBay, but are not oem. Has anybody bought these and if so, do they work OK ?

PIONEER P42 P52 P62 CHAINSAW AIR FILTER, MAX-FLO. NEW | eBay

Are there any other options for replacing the filter ?

Also, under the filter, and around the intake duct before the choke plate, I found a steel strap. It was not tight, and there wasn't anything else under there to hold against the intake. The strap appears to be in the IPL but I cannot figure out what it does. Can someone enlighten me ?

Sorry for the crappy blurry photo.

Thanks -- Terry

Last edited:
I've been wondering about those max flow filters myself. Last time I checked, you could still buy OEM at Baileys, but they were pricey.

I couldn't find the OEM filter at Baileys. I started looked at the Unifilter ones, there are some for small engines that clamp right onto the carb and I wondered whether they could work. The Australian company (apparently there are two) has ones which are angled at 30 degrees, though that's probably not enough to fit in the space. The dirt bike community among others is big on them.

Are the demands placed on a chainsaw different enough from e.g. Dirt biking (Quantity of material that needs to be filtered? Size of particles?) that such a solution wouldn't work as the main filter?

They also offer sheets of filter media and I started wondering about making my own.m I found a few threads but guys usually ended up shooting the idea down.

There's an old thread here about this stuff but it sort of ended nowhere.

The filter is 507475289. Baileys has them, $16.99.

To me, a saw has to deal with a lot more fine dust, eg saw chips and such, then a bike would have to. But I'm no expert on air filters. I would like to have one of the max flow ones to see how fine the media is.

Back