Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some Pics of my Farmsaw 11, changes made from original are l swap out the half wrap to a Full wrap handle bar and replaced the 4 shoe clutch with the 3 shoe clutch off the orange Farmsaw.
the original reed block was cracked and saw would not run properly so l replaced it with a new reed block assy and Saw now passes a Pressure /Vac test

Attachments

• Farmsaw 11 Resto_001.JPG
    Farmsaw 11 Resto_001.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 21
  • Farmsaw 11 Resto_002.JPG
    Farmsaw 11 Resto_002.JPG
  • Farmsaw 11 Resto_003.JPG
    Farmsaw 11 Resto_003.JPG
  • Farmsaw 11 Resto_004.JPG
    Farmsaw 11 Resto_004.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 21
Here are some Pics of my Farmsaw 11, changes made from original are l swap out the half wrap to a Full wrap handle bar and replaced the 4 shoe clutch with the 3 shoe clutch off the orange Farmsaw.
the original reed block was cracked and saw would not run properly so l replaced it with a new reed block assy and Saw now passes a Pressure /Vac test

Looks great Brian!

Thanks for doing that Chris.

As you say, the double lip seals aren't really double lipped (sealing) although they do make them. The common seal that looks double lipped has an inner sealing lip and an outer dust lip. The 5200 Poulan series, the big Homelite 650 / 750 and many others all came with no dust seal as well. The fact that they lasted 30 years would indicate the dust lip doesn't add much if anything in a chainsaw.
Lots of good reading in the Timken seal catalog on seal design and application.
Hi there all. I'm looking at this myself right now. I have plenty of seals described as double lipped, however they have a single sealing ring, with a single garter spring. However, in the spec the other "lip" is actually described accurately as a "non contact dust skirt". A seal that is double lipped has two seals with two garter springs, one facing one way and one the other, almost invariably steel outer shell. I can't say my saws notice, but in the food manuf industry, it would not be acceptable. As you say though it seems plenty good enough. you are going to need deeper pockets if you want proper double lipped, and probably more space. Oh , and a felt washer, with oil !

I'm not a Pioneer guru so I cannot say all which saws used the coil like on this 1850, I know my 750 did so I'm assuming from 700 series up a quite a ways did. I know that between Chris and I most all have coils that look like this when you open them up.. 101_0089 (Custom).JPG

Before I knew there was a better replacement for them I swapped a Homelite coil onto the Pioneer core and it worked but the high tension wire hooks in a different place and the fit could be better.

I found this coil for a Johnson/Evinrude (of course owned by OMC as was Pioneer at one time) and is available aftermarket for reasonable. 101_0100 (Custom).JPG

You just pop it off the core it comes on, and place it on the original Pioneer core. You have to extend the green wire going to the point box and then just bolt it in place. Works real well. 101_0091 (Custom).JPG 20180126_122624 (Custom).jpg

That's great find Mark. Not too many of those around. Looking forward to see you cut with it.

My back is getting sore just looking at it.

There are not many around for sure. I know Chris has one and Lee but I don't know how many more are out there in collections, I'm betting not many. I have ran Chris's before and know for sure from what I have seen it would be a 090G killer. His is set at 3-1 drive ratio, this one was set at 2-1. I thought about switching it while I had it apart but left it at 2-1, I think it has enough balls for that.

I spent quite a bit of time today, dressing the Pioneer branded 42" bar and getting the 1/2" chain back in shape. I thought about taking it out for a try out but decided not to push myself getting back at it. I know it was not easy on my bad shoulder starting it last night.

The neighbor not far from here has a 30'+ oak trunk left that got the top taken off it and we plan on taking it down soon. It is probably 4' across and I might use this to drop it with just for fun.

dunno what the r11 is worth in your eyes, but would be interested if it's sailin.

Best bet is to wait till I kick off, then it might be available after the funeral. :laugh:

I have been looking for one of these for many years. They just don't come around.

I do have something else in mind for that deal though, just haven't got to it. I'm pretty sure you will like it.

Just set it on log and pull trigger ! What a beast. What kind of rpm does it turn?

Yeah that sounds easy, long as you aint the one picking it up to set it on that 5-6' log. :ices_rofl:

I'm not sure on the RPM, I think I seen somewhere it says 6500 rpm? Maybe @pioneerguy600 has it listed somewhere.

Best bet is to wait till I kick off, then it might be available after the funeral. :laugh:

I have been looking for one of these for many years. They just don't come around.

I do have something else in mind for that deal though, just haven't got to it. I'm pretty sure you will like it.

gear drive pioneer is on my "grail" list. gotta ask... only ever seen one. a 850, nfs. nice to hear a long wait is over.

no rush on the other, its not goin anywhere...

Back