Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baking the coil worked! She runs with a shot down the throat. USPS needs to hurry up and get my carb kits here.
Just for future reference... May I ask, how long and at what temperature?
My FarmSaw sits with an empty tank for long periods without running. A splash of gas in the throat is all that's necessary to get her running again. I won't use anything except an oil/gas mix. Starter fluid is easier but I fear without lubrication it will do her harm.

I would also like to know

Sent from my SM-J120W using Tapatalk
I'm working from memory and it isn't always dependable today... I think I baked mine for 12 (wanted 16) hours at 200° F.
I have an electronics background, a high temperature is detrimental to electronics. In earlier posts, you'll find quite a conversation about baking the Prestolite coil. I think I tried for 16 hours at 200°. My oven shut down at 12 hours. Ain't technology wonderful? It was enough in that case. Were I to try it again it would be the full 16 hours.

In my opinion, most Prestolite coil failures are moisture related. I bought my saw new in late 1979 or early 80. She ran without a problem for 6 years in NM. Late 1985 it went into storage there and was delivered to Washington state 1991. She performed here too without any ignition problem until I attended a GTG and made the mistake of storing her on the ground under a tarp. I think had I left her in the truck I wouldn't have needed to bake the coil.
If moisture is the problem, low and slow is probably better for internal solid state coil components.

190 five hours. I don’t see anything wrong with doing 200. I was just a little concerned. I’ve read info where people say 200 for one hour. I only did five because that’s all the time I had.

I have a little oil can that I always keep filled with 2stroke mix. Really comes in handy

Lou,

I have only baked a couple of coils/modules from the 51/60 series and had decent results. I used 200°F for two hours.

One coil has been working fine ever since. The second one worked fine but after the saw set for most of a year, no spark again. I rebaked it and it was working fine last time I heard from the friend that owns the saw.

I remember reading info on here many pages back that said low temps about 200 degrees was the way to go. A couple of hours sticks in my mind as the amount of time to bake them, but I could be completely wrong too. I'm guessing that the proper bake time could vary from coil to coil depending on the amount of delamination that has occurred.

I have at least three more coils to bake in the near future. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

190 five hours. I don’t see anything wrong with doing 200. I was just a little concerned. I’ve read info where people say 200 for one hour. I only did five because that’s all the time I had.

I have a little oil can that I always keep filled with 2stroke mix. Really comes in handy
Much of the earlier conversation I mentioned suggested 250°... I like you worried about too high a temperature.
Thanks.

Lou,

I have only baked a couple of coils/modules from the 51/60 series and had decent results. I used 200°F for two hours.

One coil has been working fine ever since. The second one worked fine but after the saw set for most of a year, no spark again. I rebaked it and it was working fine last time I heard from the friend that owns the saw.

I remember reading info on here many pages back that said low temps about 200 degrees was the way to go. A couple of hours sticks in my mind as the amount of time to bake them, but I could be completely wrong too. I'm guessing that the proper bake time could vary from coil to coil depending on the amount of delamination that has occurred.

I have at least three more coils to bake in the near future. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
I know of no electronic component after the vacuum tube, that likes or can be repaired by heat. The coil of wire shouldn't be positively affected by heat. The removal of moisture is the only thing that makes sense to me.
The Prestolite has a small air gap around the laminations where moisture could enter. Moisture can act as a short circuit. If I bake another Prestolite coil I will probably try adding a very thin coat of silicone sealer where the lamination meets the coil itself if the bake is successful.
Thanks to you too for the feedback.

Glad to hear baking those coils works for some. I've tried about 1/2 dozen blue prestolite coils and have had varying results. Three worked for about 30 min. One I got a couple of cords out of. Another is still working, albeit not much time on it. I too tried slow and low. Hence the long process of trial and error to find a work-around coil.

Most of the saws had been tossed by PO's. Frustrated no doubt.

Glad to hear baking those coils works for some. I've tried about 1/2 dozen blue prestolite coils and have had varying results. Three worked for about 30 min. One I got a couple of cords out of. Another is still working, albeit not much time on it. I too tried slow and low. Hence the long process of trial and error to find a work-around coil.

Most of the saws had been tossed by PO's. Frustrated no doubt.

I won’t know for quite some time if my recently baked coil will last. Might not ever know, with the amount of cutting I’ll actually do with it. But if I have any problems with it I’ll be switching to a 272xp coil.

Back