Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lou,

I have only baked a couple of coils/modules from the 51/60 series and had decent results. I used 200°F for two hours.

One coil has been working fine ever since. The second one worked fine but after the saw set for most of a year, no spark again. I rebaked it and it was working fine last time I heard from the friend that owns the saw.

I remember reading info on here many pages back that said low temps about 200 degrees was the way to go. A couple of hours sticks in my mind as the amount of time to bake them, but I could be completely wrong too. I'm guessing that the proper bake time could vary from coil to coil depending on the amount of delamination that has occurred.

I have at least three more coils to bake in the near future. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
We have been doing the 200F for two hours since the latte 80`s on the Farmsaw coils, the blue Prestolite ones with good success.

Did you try baking a p51/61 coil with any good results?

No, I never had the need, we always had a good supply of those modules to just swap out. Would be an easy thing to do if one has a non working one around, I must have kept one or more but would need to did a lot of digging to get back to my old Pioneer parts stach.

No, I never had the need, we always had a good supply of those modules to just swap out. Would be an easy thing to do if one has a non working one around, I must have kept one or more but would need to did a lot of digging to get back to my old Pioneer parts stach.
Thank you Jerry for your reply... I think p61 was asking PaulHill, Paul replied to one of my posts and mentioned specifically the 50/60 series.
The silicone sealer being a long-term solution buoys up my thoughts about moisture.
I'm always happy to see your replies to Pioneer questions.

Thank you Jerry for your reply... I think p61 was asking PaulHill, Paul replied to one of my posts and mentioned specifically the 50/60 series.
The silicone sealer being a long-term solution buoys up my thoughts about moisture.
I'm always happy to see your replies to Pioneer questions.

Thanks Lou, he quoted my post so I thought he was asking me.

I have one extra stashed away, but it sure would be nice to have a few more lol.

The more input the better the outcome is likely to be...
The hard part is properly assigning the importance of the input.
Thanks to everyone that posts here.
I read every one of them and rarely add my 2¢.
If ever any of you have a question about the instrumentation of an F-4(C, D, E, RF, or G) Phantom aircraft, I may well be one the most reliable sources.

The more input the better the outcome is likely to be...
The hard part is properly assigning the importance of the input.
Thanks to everyone that posts here.
I read every one of them and rarely add my 2¢.
If ever any of you have a question about the instrumentation of an F4 Phantom aircraft, I may well be one the most reliable sources.
I would bet with your background you know a few things about electronics. I don't know if I told you or not, but I did restore my dads old farmsaw for him. It's now a usable saw again.

I don't recall p61, unfortunately, that happens all too often these days.
The thought of a properly operating FarmSaw makes me happy. I certainly enjoyed mine. She is still here, and in a pinch may have to rescue my 359.
One lucky thing for me... the 359 and the 24" bar for the FarmSaw both need the same number of drive links.

I have one extra stashed away, but it sure would be nice to have a few more lol.
I know we tossed quite a few when they were easy to find. I had one go out on a 62 I shipped over from Vancouver. It must still be around here somewhere. I bought out a bunch of parts from a closed Homelite shop many years ago now mostly to get a few starter cups,recoil springs and starter parts for Fairbanks Morse starters but among that pile were 8 Prestolite modules that also fit the Pioneers. There was complete rolls of big chain for the older saws, came in handy and more than paid for the rest of the stuff I got.

I know we tossed quite a few when they were easy to find. I had one go out on a 62 I shipped over from Vancouver. It must still be around here somewhere. I bought out a bunch of parts from a closed Homelite shop many years ago now mostly to get a few starter cups,recoil springs and starter parts for Fairbanks Morse starters but among that pile were 8 Prestolite modules that also fit the Pioneers. There was complete rolls of big chain for the older saws, came in handy and more than paid for the rest of the stuff I got.
That sounds like it was a great score for sure. The older chain is tough to come by nowadays. I wondered if the Homelite coils worked or not. Now I know they do, but I think they are hard to get as well these days. Knock on wood I haven't had a coil go out yet.

I don't recall p61, unfortunately, that happens all too often these days.
The thought of a properly operating FarmSaw makes me happy. I certainly enjoyed mine. She is still here, and in a pinch may have to rescue my 359.
One lucky thing for me... the 359 and the 24" bar for the FarmSaw both need the same number of drive links.
Here are a couple pics of it done. I threw in a pic of it all tore down as well.20171219_151335.jpg 20171219_151348.jpg 20171215_145158.jpg

Back