Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Great looking saw! I'm envious.

Sent from my SM-J120W using Tapatalk
Thank you very much. My dad bought it brand new back in 1979, and got many years of good service out of it. He loaned it to my grandpa and he straight gassed it. It sat on a shelf for about 10 years, and then I restored it for him. I gave it back to him Christmas day this last year. He couldn't be more happy with it.

Thank you Jerry for your reply... I think p61 was asking PaulHill, Paul replied to one of my posts and mentioned specifically the 50/60 series.
The silicone sealer being a long-term solution buoys up my thoughts about moisture.
I'm always happy to see your replies to Pioneer questions.

Heck, I don't know whose post I was replying to but that's nothing new either!

I thought I had read somewhere on AS that the laminations inside the coil would dry out from excessive heat and that was one cause of the coil failures. But, I could be remembering it incorrectly or maybe what I read was wrong too?

Either way, I wonder if there are multiple issues with those coils. I know here in southern Az that we frequently have humidity levels in the single digits and dew pionts in the negative numbers. We'll also get many weeks between measurable rainfall. All this makes me wonder if it's moisture that has caused coils to fail for me?

However, whatever the cause is, I'm grateful that there's a way to bring some of those coils back to life.

Great shared info and discussions on this Pioneer thread. Thanks to all those that help and share.

I am very grateful for this thread, and all who have participated in it. I have learned a lot from this thread, and will continue to learn from it. I have read it from page 1 till current, and will probably do so again. This thread was my main reason for joining the site to be honest. Very glad to see the thread still going, and people playing with their Pioneer chainsaws.

I am very grateful for this thread, and all who have participated in it. I have learned a lot from this thread, and will continue to learn from it. I have read it from page 1 till current, and will probably do so again. This thread was my main reason for joining the site to be honest. Very glad to see the thread still going, and people playing with their Pioneer chainsaws.
I have to concur on that. Coincidentally, my dad bought a Pioneer P28 back in about 1979. Dad had kids to feed and he's never been one to spend frivolously -- buying a new saw was something he put a lot of careful thought into. He ran it for years until the AV buffers tore beyond repair and the sprocket was dangerously worn, and no local shop could or would order parts for it.

Then it sat for a few years until I happened upon this site and some good sources for parts -- and that's where I got started on rebuilding or repairing old saws. The P28 is still his preferred saw for most things.

So I'm also grateful that there are other people out there who appreciate the value of old saws and are willing to share information and experience. I sometimes spend more time and money than I mean to fixing one up, but I always have in the back of my head that this is something that meant a lot to someone and it should be maintained in good order even if it's only to honour all the hard work of the owner (and the saw). :)

Sent from my SM-J120W using Tapatalk

Heck, I don't know whose post I was replying to but that's nothing new either!

I thought I had read somewhere on AS that the laminations inside the coil would dry out from excessive heat and that was one cause of the coil failures. But, I could be remembering it incorrectly or maybe what I read was wrong too?

Either way, I wonder if there are multiple issues with those coils. I know here in southern Az that we frequently have humidity levels in the single digits and dew pionts in the negative numbers. We'll also get many weeks between measurable rainfall. All this makes me wonder if it's moisture that has caused coils to fail for me?

However, whatever the cause is, I'm grateful that there's a way to bring some of those coils back to life.

Great shared info and discussions on this Pioneer thread. Thanks to all those that help and share.
I think of the coil sort of like a transformer. The laminations create a rising and falling magnetic field as the magnets pass under it. That field cuts a wire coil and generates an electric charge. In my opinion, the laminations would do their job even if completely immersed in water or in a vacuum (absolutely no moisture). I'm guessing the Prestolite coil contains a transistor that is wired in a way to inhibit discharge until one of the magnets triggers that discharge. Any moisture could upset its ability to build a charge before discharging. There are other solid state methods of building to a specific voltage level before discharging, water would also inhibit their ability to build an electric charge.
If there is any airspace within the insulating material of the coil it could conceivably condense moisture into a very small amount of water. Again IMO that's all it would take to cause the coil to not charge.
I am not nor do I claim to be an electrical engineer.

Quick transformer lesson. A transformer contains 2 coils of wire, joined by a laminated core. The input side generates a magnetic field in the laminations that induces a voltage in the second coil of wire. With few exceptions, there is no electrical connection between the two coils of wire.

My FarmSaw grew up in New Mexico, probably less humid than is Arizona (I have 8 years in Phoenix). Since 1991± its been in Washington State. Arguably one of the wettest states in the union. Until the GTG and I stored her on the ground I didn't have an ignition problem.

I think of the coil sort of like a transformer. The laminations create a rising and falling magnetic field as the magnets pass under it. That field cuts a wire coil and generates an electric charge. In my opinion, the laminations would do their job even if completely immersed in water or in a vacuum (absolutely no moisture). I'm guessing the Prestolite coil contains a transistor that is wired in a way to inhibit discharge until one of the magnets triggers that discharge. Any moisture could upset its ability to build a charge before discharging. There are other solid state methods of building to a specific voltage level before discharging, water would also inhibit their ability to build an electric charge.
If there is any airspace within the insulating material of the coil it could conceivably condense moisture into a very small amount of water. Again IMO that's all it would take to cause the coil to not charge.
I am not nor do I claim to be an electrical engineer.

Quick transformer lesson. A transformer contains 2 coils of wire, joined by a laminated core. The input side generates a magnetic field in the laminations that induces a voltage in the second coil of wire. With few exceptions, there is no electrical connection between the two coils of wire.

My FarmSaw grew up in New Mexico, probably less humid than is Arizona (I have 8 years in Phoenix). Since 1991± its been in Washington State. Arguably one of the wettest states in the union. Until the GTG and I stored her on the ground I didn't have an ignition problem.

It's good to see you around Lou.

This is the cornbelt here . We hate trees, but I love takin down for farmers . Some of the good wood . Hedge , wild cherry (we call choke cherry) american elm ,yellow oak mullberry. My favorite wood is dry. And then the ash beetle .....

The ash boror is killing all the ash trees around here . This happened yesterday lucky no one was killed. Took power lines down for the whole block. The lines shorted and burned live for 45 minutes. It was really something to see . The arc blasts were 6 feet high. Now if I only had a good farmsaw for that free ash !

IMG_2370.JPG IMG_2359.PNG

The ash boror is killing all the ash trees around here . This happened yesterday lucky no one was killed. Took power lines down for the whole block. The lines shorted and burned live for 45 minutes. It was really something to see . The arc blasts were 6 feet high. Now if I only had a good farmsaw for that free ash !

View attachment 650551 View attachment 650552

P60 - 61 - 62 or 655 territory, thanks for the picts.

Back