Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geeezzz ! I think I goofed !
Here I am looking for this Pioneer brand bar that's on the P41 the one I have been going on about and I don't think it's even a Pioneer because if it was wouldn't the part number start with a 4 not a 5 ? Man o Man ! Also I think the gauge on a Pioneer bar that size would not have been .050 . Opinions Please .
Thanks
Western Saw
I have an "old style" stenciled Poulan 36" bar, and amazingly it is .050.

Here I am looking for this Pioneer brand bar that's on the P41 the one I have been going on about and I don't think it's even a Pioneer because if it was wouldn't the part number start with a 4 not a 5 ? Man o Man ! Also I think the gauge on a Pioneer bar that size would not have been .050 . Opinions Please .
Thanks
Western Saw

I understand it as the original Pioneer part numbers were six numbers beginning with the number 4 as shown on most Pioneer P series IPL's. The way I understand it, once Poulan Pro and/or Partner took over Pioneer, the 507 numbers were added to part numbers. Sort of like a prefix to the original part number.

Someone here probably can explain the details of how this came to be better than I can. In my experience though, the parts are the same if they start with the 507 or without it.

My experience is only with the later and larger P series. It may be different for the older and different series of saws.

I think your bar is a Pioneer bar based on the part number. And I know some of the later ones were .50 gauge because I have a couple of them

Good luck on the bar search.

Thanks
Western Saw
When Poulan bought Pioneer they added a "507" to the front of the Pioneer part number. My Farmsaw bar should have been pn 475344 (18", I had it replaced with a 20" (Oregon) before I bought it new in 1979). That same bar, if available would now be 507475344.
Paul beat my post by that much...

Thank You Paul !
Western Saw

There are fellas sitting on stashes of Pioneer NOS parts the trick is to know them or find them LOL. I have made a couple of inquiries so will see if something pans out. I should check Ebay as well
Western Saw
Your SSW tipped bar has the newer updated 5 rivet connector tang to the bar itself and also has 6 rivets holding the sprocket inside the tip, as others have stated the 507 is the Poulan prefix,475848 is the old Pioneer number, 28" , .050 gauge with 92 drive links and its a 3/8" chain. The bar before that change had a spun over race to hold the sprocket inside the tip., it was referred to as a NSW tip.

When Poulan bought Pioneer they added a "507" to the front of the Pioneer part number. My Farmsaw bar should have been pn 475344 (18", I had it replaced with a 20" (Oregon) before I bought it new in 1979). That same bar, if available would now be 507475344.
Paul beat my post by that much...
Okay Thank You Paul !
I Wonder then, when Poulan took over, is that Pioneer part with a 507 now in front of the Pioneer part still a Pioneer part or a Poulan part ? Sorry not trying to confuse the issue but maybe if I look for a Poulan part number instead of a Pioneer part.

Did you check with Jeff yet?
Hi Jerry
I have contacted Jeff and Thanks for that ! He is away for the weekend but will check when he gets back . He is also looking to see if he has a brake system for the P41. Not sure if my clutch cover will accept the brake feature without drilling holes in it . If he has a clutch cover with holes to accept the brake feature I may as well go with that if he has it. Now my P41 is different than others with the brake handle as mine is plastic affixed to a metal bracket that goes down into the clutch cover every one I have seen is all metal. I know I really need to get some images up LOL ! I may have posted on this thread before I'm not sure though.
Western Saw

Your SSW tipped bar has the newer updated 5 rivet connector tang to the bar itself and also has 6 rivets holding the sprocket inside the tip, as others have stated the 507 is the Poulan prefix,475848 is the old Pioneer number, 28" , .050 gauge with 92 drive links and its a 3/8" chain. The bar before that change had a spun over race to hold the sprocket inside the tip., it was referred to as a NSW tip.
Thanks for the reply Jerry ! Jerry I have an original whole green coloured Pioneer binder manual and in the bar section I could not find my bar in there not 28 inches not SSW and not .050 gauge. But then again maybe I did not look hard enough .I just had two new chains made up for that present bar so that is why I'm looking for that particular one

Thanks for the reply Jerry ! Jerry I have an original whole green coloured Pioneer binder manual and in the bar section I could not find my bar in there not 28 inches not SSW and not .050 gauge. But then again maybe I did not look hard enough .I just had two new chains made up for that present bar so that is why I'm looking for that particular one
I will take pics of my bar that I believe is the same as yours, and post them tonight.

Yahoo ! So there they are the often heard of P41 heard but not seen ....... until now LOL !

Jerry you can see what I'm talking about in regards to the chain brake handle
WesternSaw

Nice P41 you have there P61 !
Difference in the chain brake handle than on mine that I was mentioning to Pioneerguy600 .
WesternSaw
Your p41 has the rare hand guard option. Don't get rid of it whatever you do. That is a amazing saw you got there. I would love to have it if you get tired of it in the future lol. I will go and get some pics of that bar right now. Jeff can tell you more about the guard option and how rare they are to find intact.

Your p41 has the rare hand guard option. Don't get rid of it whatever you do. That is a amazing saw you got there. I would love to have it if you get tired of it in the future lol. I will go and get some pics of that bar right now. Jeff can tell you more about the guard option and how rare they are to find intact.
Thanks P61 !
I think someone told me that was a rare guard before .Maybe it was Jeff or Jerry not sure ! Sorry but I'm going to hang on to that P41 ! Had to get rid of a whole bunch of saws and gave up a couple of older Pioneers that I wish I hung on to ,but that's life ! So now I only have the P41 and a nice P28 or P29 in real nice shape. Have quite a few parts for the smaller P series saws.
WesternSaw

Thanks P61 !
I think someone told me that was a rare guard before .Maybe it was Jeff or Jerry not sure ! Sorry but I'm going to hang on to that P41 ! Had to get rid of a whole bunch of saws and gave up a couple of older Pioneers that I wish I hung on to ,but that's life ! So now I only have the P41 and a nice P28 or P29 in real nice shape. Have quite a few parts for the smaller P series saws.
WesternSaw
I'm sure you will find other saws up in your area. Glad to have you back posting here. You started probably the best Pioneer thread going.

Back