Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rocket I know he did have a whole whack of parts ! I think he bought up a lot of old NOS parts from dealers. Would be great to get in touch with him . Not sure what you mean by son ranch ,sorry ?
WesternSaw
Son Ranch is in Grand Forks. Chainsaw and logging museum. Mike also used to put out displays at the Rock Creek fair in September.

Rocket I know he did have a whole whack of parts ! I think he bought up a lot of old NOS parts from dealers. Would be great to get in touch with him . Not sure what you mean by son ranch ,sorry ?
WesternSaw

google it. never been, but looks interesting. they have a site.

Mike Acres to my knowledge started off young in the forestry business, maybe even logged himself, sold chainsaws, wrenched on them etc. Hmmmmm... like some older members on this Pioneer thread here .... Jerry.......not sure if Jerry sold chainsaws though .
WesternSaw

Mike was a mechanic that turned to salesman. He often worked at portable logging camps and was first associated with Remington but switched to Pioneer when Remington was not committed to developing serious professional saws for the West coast forest industry. I havn`t read his biography but picked up bits of info over the years from posts he has made, he certainly has been a key figure in the chainsaw collector and info circle.

Here is some a few pictures of the Pioneer bar. you will notice where the arrow is that's where the dip in the bar is. There is some removed material there it is not even (on the same plane as the rest of the rail.) How serious is this dip would it ruin a chain if I ran it like this ? Also the photo of the bar looking down the length of the bar shows a slight bend in the bar ,not sure how critical that is . Not sure if I should just try and bend it straight.2017-03-07 Lawrence's pictures 028.JPG 2017-03-07 Lawrence's pictures 024.JPG 2017-03-07 Lawrence's pictures 030.JPG

I'm not an engineer or an accredited chainsaw expert...
IMO as long as the majority (51%) of the drive link is held in the bar groove, the little divit is not a problem. Look at some of the very old sprocket nose bars and you'll see a considerable gap between the round nose and the bar. Much larger than what I see here.
Again the bend in the bar IMO is not a problem either. If it's not a laminated bar, I'd probably try to straighten it. If laminated, I'd ask for some guidance first.

Here is some a few pictures of the Pioneer bar. you will notice where the arrow is that's where the dip in the bar is. There is some removed material there it is not even (on the same plane as the rest of the rail.) How serious is this dip would it ruin a chain if I ran it like this ? Also the photo of the bar looking down the length of the bar shows a slight bend in the bar ,not sure how critical that is . Not sure if I should just try and bend it straight.View attachment 655993 View attachment 655995 View attachment 655998
The dip isn't to bad, and could probably be feathered out with a bastard file. If you have a bench vise you could probably get rid of the bend pretty easily as well.

Here is some a few pictures of the Pioneer bar. you will notice where the arrow is that's where the dip in the bar is. There is some removed material there it is not even (on the same plane as the rest of the rail.) How serious is this dip would it ruin a chain if I ran it like this ? Also the photo of the bar looking down the length of the bar shows a slight bend in the bar ,not sure how critical that is . Not sure if I should just try and bend it straight.View attachment 655993 View attachment 655995 View attachment 655998

If I had that bar here I could fix it in no time flat, would be very easy for someone that has just a little experience welding and straightening metal objects.

Brian,

My Home Hardware doesn't seem to have a clue.

Which brand is the hardener and if it's a Home Hardware product what do they call it? Maybe even a Home Hardware product number on the can?

Thanks

Tim

The product name is Klenks Japan Dryer, Home hardware store sell it the
item # is 1675-051 and model is 902160, bottle size is 60ml. lf you google this info you will see a pic of 60 ml bottle. lf you want me to get you some out here just let me know and l will order some for you.

Brian

Here is how I fix minor divits like the one you pictured. I put a thin copper plate in the chain groove. I make it tight fitting by wedging a small screwdriver in the groove. Then weld with a mig welder and small spot welds until it is filled enough to grind off flat . The copper backs up the open area and steel weld wont stick well to it . This method works well with anything I have tried. I have even repaired blown out keyways in cranks. Its not 100% but saves your butt.
IMG_2479.JPG

To the above Lou - P61 Western - Pioneerguy600- 2 stroke shaman Thanks for the input fellas !

Well let's see .... I don't have a welder and don't know how to use one ,so I strike out there . I do have a file and know how to use one,and have a bench vise although the bench vise is waiting to be mounted on the new workbench yet to be built,well the top is laminated and ready for the frame . I do have the new replacement bar coming for the P41 at the end of the week. So I will be able to use the saw. I wanted to show you fellas why I thought the bar was trashed.
WesternSaw

I never use a vice for straightening a sweeping bend in a bar, one does not want to use a sharp edge to bend a bar over. Place the bar on two spacers like 2 X 4 lumber pieces and apply pressure to the highest part of the bend , apply pressure, check, repeat until straight, if one goes too far its easy enough to flip the bar and bend it back. Yes I have straightened many dozens of chainsaw bars this way, even straightened bars that were twisted, no vice was used.

Like I said " Some real good people on this thread "
Thank You !
Need to look and see if I have pictures left of the saws I let go ,for history's sake .
Thank You !
WesternSaw

Back