Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think skilsaw had a label, jred and husky and pioneer did as well I think. I had a green one pass threw No idea the make.
Here is a picture of a Skilsaw. The saw was made by PM (Power Machine) in Vancouver BC, and sold under the brand name PM Canadien. Skil eventually purchased the company, and moved production to the US. They also made another similar looking saw in the 70cc range, called the Skilshop

Attachments

• Skilsaw 1629 Type 3_bksm.JPG
    Skilsaw 1629 Type 3_bksm.JPG
    312 KB · Views: 0
  • Skilsaw 1629 Type 3_lh2sm.JPG
    Skilsaw 1629 Type 3_lh2sm.JPG
    345.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Skilsaw 1629 Type 3_rhsm.JPG
    Skilsaw 1629 Type 3_rhsm.JPG
    277.3 KB · Views: 0
#4 of my new in box saws...
Pioneer P40 sold by Simpsons
Box is in rough shape, but got warentee paperwork, manuals, bar and chain in their original packaging.
The person i got it from tried to start it but were unsuccessful.Paint on the rimdrive shows it as unused.
p40 g.jpgp40 i.jpgp40 h.jpgp40 f.jpg

#4 of my new in box saws...
Pioneer P40 sold by Simpsons
Box is in rough shape, but got warentee paperwork, manuals, bar and chain in their original packaging.
The person i got it from tried to start it but were unsuccessful.Paint on the rimdrive shows it as unused.
View attachment 1079985View attachment 1079986View attachment 1079987View attachment 1079988
That is a nice ensemble. It brings back a memory of the day in 1978, when Simpson's/Sears was taken over by The Hudson's Bay Co. I was actually in the tool area of Simpsons/Sears store in Montreal, when the deal was finalized.
After the announcement, the manager of the area, called all his sales people together and had a frantic conversation with them. After the conversation, they immediately started running around and marking everything in the store by 50%. I had a field day, buying all the demo power tools I could get my hands on, because they were all marked down a further 25%.
It didn't occur to me, that they would have had chainsaws in stock, or I would have found a way to drag one or more of them home as well. That was the best bargain of my life.

What say the pioneer pros about this one?View attachment 1082063
Over priced. I bought my last small Pioneer for $50,00. They are a good little saw. I have bought a couple of them that ran then quit, and the problem was the screen in the muffler blocking the exhaust gas flow.
I like my Pioneer P28, and run it when I get the chance.

Anywhere between $30. to $50. is about what they sell for, the airfilter covers are brittle plastic and in most cases they are broken or missing. With no AV or chainbrakes they are not a saw many want to run for actual cutting chores, more of a shelf display or occasionally cut a few sticks.

I have a pioneer 1073 that has bad crank case seals but I looked at ebay and cant find them. Is there any other chainsaw crankcase seals that are still available and that somebody has put into a pioneer 1073 or similar saw?
1073? I have a 1074 , I never knew they made a 73 but all it needs is a coil if your interested we could make a deal, I don't need to get rich on it I'm more interested in clearing out some things in the garage.

The fuel tank shows signs of repainting so I assume the starter was as well. The yellow underneath is less pale than Pioneer yellow. Matches what I recall of my nice RAs.
It is important to remember that this an IEL chain saw. Not Pioneer. OMC had not bought IEL at the time the JB was being manufactured.
The IEL yellow paint was not as dark a yellow as the Pioneer yellow. The starter was manufactured by Fairbanks Morse and a replacement
outer housing could have been red depending where it came from

What's the proper hook up procedure for doing a press/vac test on a pioneer 1200a?I have the mityvav and have no problems testing stihl saws. the carb and muffler are blocked of using bicycle tubing.The saw starts and runs but loads up in idle mode.I replaced the carb but there is no change.What am I doing wrong? Compression is 130 psi

It may be possible to plug the oiler inlet and outlet and get it to pass a vac test. I don't remember ever messing with that on my 1200A. There is a big plug on the back of the case for installing the oiler shaft and a pin with on oring that holds the oiler shaft in place laterally. The shaft itself could leak where it runs in the case bore, hence plugging the oiler ports. Plenty of older saws won't pass vac tests without isolating the oilers. That's their nature.

That said, for leaks I'd look hard at the reed valve gaskets. Those are the most likely source. This is a choke carb I assume? If it has a primer that could be another source of leaking. If the outlet check valves are bad, the primer will dribble fuel into the case constanly.

Has anyone tried running the 525 boost port cylinder with a standard P52 piston? I can't seem to get any compression with this combo. Does anyone have a P52 cylinder in good shape for sale? I'd prefer a newnone, of course.

Back