Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went and looked that case over again and there is no markings on it at all. So I have no idea on where the case came from. The guy that would no is no longer able to tell.
I can`t really say, just because I never seen one like it before does not mean they were not sold at one time, there was a lot of Pioneer saws sold around here in that size and models but because Pioneer used that fragile airfilter cover a good many people became disenchanted with them and when I was at the dealers I heard from many of them face to face.

I can`t really say, just because I never seen one like it before does not mean they were not sold at one time, there was a lot of Pioneer saws sold around here in that size and models but because Pioneer used that fragile airfilter cover a good many people became disenchanted with them and when I was at the dealers I heard from many of them face to face.
On the topic of the air filters, I have seen some 3D printed replacements. I may pick up a couple of these, but I also wonder about a possible fabricated metal cover - do you know if anyone has made something like this?

On the topic of the air filters, I have seen some 3D printed replacements. I may pick up a couple of these, but I also wonder about a possible fabricated metal cover - do you know if anyone has made something like this?
I get many requests for these covers and have no source other than Bryce that had the black replacement covers a few years back, I believe they are all gone now though and I have never heard of anyone attempting to make metal replacements. When our local Pioneer dealer closed shop I managed to snag a dozen OEM ones, that was like 30 or more years ago and seldom ever see an OEM one in good condition any more.

I believe this 1200 has a metal AF cover. I had a prior model to this one with the primer, 1150? Maybe but I think it was a metal cover too. Now those 1074, P28 etc yeah those are hard to find that don't have a broken cover.

I believe this 1200 has a metal AF cover. I had a prior model to this one with the primer, 1150? Maybe but I think it was a metal cover too. Now those 1074, P28 etc yeah those are hard to find that don't have a broken cover.
Yes the small sized Pioneers like the ones you mentioned and 970, 1072, P20, 21, 25 26 28, The green covers were very brittle, some of the saws with the brown plastic covers fared a bit better but all of the plastic covers broke too easily.

I think I saved the coil. You’d have to see if a p25 and p28 share the same coil tho.
I will do some searching around, I may be able to find a replacement locally.. haven't found the source of the issue yet but the switch is good.
I don't like to mess around with points so I'd like to see if I can find an alternative coil w/o points setup and just void them all together

That is a rather nice hard case while the one Mark posted is a fabric like case with a zipper.
Oops, I think I was confused with another post. My mistake -
My wife is a seamstress and makes custom bags and cases for stuff, maybe someone made that one up for the saw I guess, never seen a soft case like that before kinda reminds me of my guitar gig bags

Howdy. I picked up this 1200A at the local auction today. Not nearly as nice as the poster above found! Compression and spark are good so I plan to start cleaning it and replacing some rubber. Got a question for you folks though. Has anyone found a better air filter than the oem metal mesh? Judging by the state of the air box, a lot of fines are getting through.20240202_131109.jpg20240202_130037.jpg20240202_130107.jpg

I would suspect that wire mesh filter would have been a flocked filter when new, all of mine were but the floccking gets worn out or rotten over time, then falls out or even sucked into the carb . Some of my own saws had bare patches just above the carb throat, the flocking was ruined from age/heat and likely rotted from water mold mildew etc. A new covering of felt or nylon mesh can be hot glued to the original frame as a suitable replacement filter.

I would suspect that wire mesh filter would have been a flocked filter when new, all of mine were but the floccking gets worn out or rotten over time, then falls out or even sucked into the carb . Some of my own saws had bare patches just above the carb throat, the flocking was ruined from age/heat and likely rotted from water mold mildew etc. A new covering of felt or nylon mesh can be hot glued to the original frame as a suitable replacement filter.
Thanks Pioneerguy. That makes a lot of sense. I can see some fibrous material around the edges but that is all that is left. 20240202_213337.jpg
Got it running by the way! Carb kit and cleaning, fuel line replacement and tank flush and we are in business. I can see myself picking this up over the ms290. Just need to find a chain that fits, the one that came with it is buggered.

Attachments

• 20240202_205454.mp4
    22.5 MB
Thanks Pioneerguy. That makes a lot of sense. I can see some fibrous material around the edges but that is all that is left. View attachment 1149962
Got it running by the way! Carb kit and cleaning, fuel line replacement and tank flush and we are in business. I can see myself picking this up over the ms290. Just need to find a chain that fits, the one that came with it is buggered.
Yes the flocking is all gone from that one but the frame and mesh would be a good candidate for a new covering of felt or even nylon mesh has been used successfully. I have used thin sheets of green foam that was at one time sold for Brigs airfilter material, it was about 1/2" thick and just dense enough to filter out dust.
"

Yes the flocking is all gone from that one but the frame and mesh would be a good candidate for a new covering of felt or even nylon mesh has been used successfully. I have used thin sheets of green foam that was at one time sold for Brigs airfilter material, it was about 1/2" thick and just dense enough to filter out dust.
"
I had an unused 0000 thin sanding pad that I cut to size. I think it should the bill. Any advice on finding a chain that fits the OE 16" bar?

I had an unused 0000 thin sanding pad that I cut to size. I think it should the bill. Any advice on finding a chain that fits the OE 16" bar?
Chains are not specific to a saw, any makers chain will fit and work but one needs to know the , pitch, gauge and drive link count. Does the saw have a chain currently? A bar length will not tell much but there might be numbers on the bar denoting the needed info. Looking back at your pics I see there is a chain on the saw now, take that chain off and count the drivers that run around the drive sprocket and bar.

Latest posts

Back