Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chains are not specific to a saw, any makers chain will fit and work but one needs to know the , pitch, gauge and drive link count. Does the saw have a chain currently? A bar length will not tell much but there might be numbers on the bar denoting the needed info. Looking back at your pics I see there is a chain on the saw now, take that chain off and count the drivers that run around the drive sprocket.
Thank you, that makes sense. I've only worked on relatively modern Stihl saws and bar and chain data is relatively easy to find online.

Thank you, that makes sense. I've only worked on relatively modern Stihl saws and bar and chain data is relatively easy to find online.
On Stihl saw bars all the info you need is stamped on the bar itself near the bar pad. On Pioneer bars they did not do that but they did stamp numbers into the bar that can help identify them if one has the old bar literature. With a number off a bar I have often looked up it up in the old bar charts I have. Many times the chart can tell me the series of the bar, model name and matching chain size, gauge and pitch. The bar chart covers most bars from the early 60`s on up til 85, after that the Partner Pioneer chart takes over.
Most 1200`s came with 3/8" chain but many were retrofitted with .404 chain , it was more common around my area at that time. There is some info in the link below on the Pioneer1200,

https://www.acresinternet.com/cscc....6af40002b8f7/6432be82bc53792288256b0000115c9e

On Stihl saw bars all the info you need is stamped on the bar itself near the bar pad. On Pioneer bars they did not do that but they did stamp numbers into the bar that can help identify them if one has the old bar literature. With a number off a bar I have often looked up it up in the old bar charts I have. Many times the chart can tell me the series of the bar, model name and matching chain size, gauge and pitch. The bar chart covers most bars from the early 60`s on up til 85, after that the Partner Pioneer chart takes over.
Most 1200`s came with 3/8" chain but many were retrofitted with .404 chain , it was more common around my area at that time. There is some info in the link below on the Pioneer1200,

https://www.acresinternet.com/cscc....6af40002b8f7/6432be82bc53792288256b0000115c9e
Great info on that site! The only thing I can make out on the bar is Pioneer, Made in Canada. I measured the drive links and the pitch is 3/8". The gauge appears to be the same as my Stihl chains so I'm guessing it is .050. 60 DL. I have another question for you though, on the Acres website it lists the oil mixture at 16:1. Is it really necessary to mix that rich?

Great info on that site! The only thing I can make out on the bar is Pioneer, Made in Canada. I measured the drive links and the pitch is 3/8". The gauge appears to be the same as my Stihl chains so I'm guessing it is .050. 60 DL. I have another question for you though, on the Acres website it lists the oil mixture at 16:1. Is it really necessary to mix that rich?
That sounds correct for the chain, if you have a chain in good condition then try it on the bar, see how the drive links fit.
As far as oil mix goes, no not necessary with the newer two stroke oils dedicated to air cooled engines, in my own vintage saws I have run 40:1 mix since the 70`s with no issues at all. I have had many of them apart for extensive cleanup and ring replacement, pistons and crank bearings are always nicely coated with oil. This ole saw has been running on 40:1 since 77 and always starts up with a couple pulls.

5bfba86a63ee8ee44d99f812bd37572f.jpg

That sounds correct for the chain, if you have a chain in good condition then try it on the bar, see how the drive links fit.
As far as oil mix goes, no not necessary with the newer two stroke oils dedicated to air cooled engines, in my own vintage saws I have run 40:1 mix since the 70`s with no issues at all. I have had many of them apart for extensive cleanup and ring replacement, pistons and crank bearings are always nicely coated with oil. This ole saw has been running on 40:1 since 77 and always starts up with a couple pulls.

5bfba86a63ee8ee44d99f812bd37572f.jpg
That sir, is a thing of beauty! Good to know about the mix ratio. 40:1 I can see. 16:1 and I was thinking I could scarcely see what I was trying to cut.

That sir, is a thing of beauty! Good to know about the mix ratio. 40:1 I can see. 16:1 and I was thinking I could scarcely see what I was trying to cut.
The mix oil back then was often automotive crankcase oil like 30 wt, it did not even mix well with gasoline, took some vigorous shaking to get it mixed up well and should be shook well every time mix was transferred to a machine. I have a restored one that looks a bit better than the one in the pic above,

b2f79ee318acaec40e656d714fa60fe7.jpg

I bought a used one o these a few years ago. 1200a. it looked terrible. But it wants to run! My filter looked the same. I cut a rectangle of t-shirt to fit, cut a hole for the stud and just laid it on there. So far so good. good luck with it!

I bought a used one o these a few years ago. 1200a. it looked terrible. But it wants to run! My filter looked the same. I cut a rectangle of t-shirt to fit, cut a hole for the stud and just laid it on there. So far so good. good luck with it!
Thanks Telecasterfool! I was amazed how easily it came back to life running strong. They really don't make stuff like they used too. I'm excited to give it a new chain and get it in some wood!

Hello everyone. What do you feel is the longest bar a P39 will run? Acres says longest supplied was a 24. Im bucking hard wood almost exclusively and need something with a longer bar. Im thinking it will pull a 28 especially running skip tooth. Any chance at a 32?

Thanks. Jason.

Hello everyone. What do you feel is the longest bar a P39 will run? Acres says longest supplied was a 24. Im bucking hard wood almost exclusively and need something with a longer bar. Im thinking it will pull a 28 especially running skip tooth. Any chance at a 32?

Thanks. Jason.
I runs some P41s in hard and dead desert oak. A 20-24 inch bar buried in a 20 inch hardwood log is about all they'll do, even with the torque of a Pioneer. If your wood was clean and green with a really sharp chain it may do a little better but I think you'd be pushing the saw pretty hard to run a 28 and definitely a 32 with a P38.

Going to jump in here as I've also picked up a pioneer saw.
1000011205.jpg

1000011208.jpg

So far, all I know about it is that it spins over, but the recoil string is broke off and I haven't been able to verify spark.

I'm also missing the primer(?) assembly:
1000011207.jpg
It's a little beat up, but it's something different to mess with besides the mcullochs and jonsered saws that I've been working on getting up and running.

Latest posts

Back