Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pioneer RA Winter Project Finished Pics. This Saw l had for some time here , it was originally a Solid dirty old barnfind that l has acquired and was pondering what to do with it. Because l have 2 of them this one never got much attention.
This winter l started working on it and finally finished
Here are a couple Pics.

Attachments

• 473155 Rings_004.JPG
    473155 Rings_004.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 473155 Rings_003.JPG
    473155 Rings_003.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 473155 Rings_002.JPG
    473155 Rings_002.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 473155 Rings_001.JPG
    473155 Rings_001.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 1
Pioneer RA Winter Project Finished Pics. This Saw l had for some time here , it was originally a Solid dirty old barnfind that l has acquired and was pondering what to do with it. Because l have 2 of them this one never got much attention.
This winter l started working on it and finally finished
Here are a couple Pics.

Nice work. I will say I am not a fan of those hard plastic grips. That style there must be a Canadian thing.

The FM recoils would have a rubber grip from the factory. Couple different styles were used but they were a medium hard rubber than got harder with age. No hard corners though. My PM276 came to me with one of those red grips. I had to take it off and put on a Mcculloch grip.

Best I can recall the RA would have come with the recoil pull handle like I used on mine when I restored it,
e83cdf4b17c73fcf28df5a134d0bcadf.jpg

The common replacement grips were made by OMC, we put them on every Pioneer back then, like the one on the RA below,
fa81918196578230c905bb693f2b8934.jpg

Anybody know the size of the screws that bolt on the clutch cover on the orange farmsaw???
If I needed clutch cover nuts and had no idea of the needed size or thread count I'd take my saw (complete with the clutch cover) to my local Home Depot. I think in very short order I would have EXAXCTLY what I needed/wanted.
I have a Farmsaw but do not know the tread count or size of those nuts.
Lou
The socket that fits those nuts is 9/16s or if like me you purchased metric sockets, 14 mm. My Scottish heart saved a few $ by purchasing a metric rather than standard socket set; (I think I had to purchase a 5/8 socket).
Somewhere between 1974 and 1979 a timing gear in my 68 290CI Javelin engine came apart. I overhauled the entire engine using metric sockets. She had roughly 180,000 miles on her and I just tore her down. I found no burned valves nor anything wrong until I removed the timing gear cover. Almost the last thing I looked at.
The only problem I had with any regularity with the Javelin was the throw out bearing. She liked to have her transmission dropped and me to play around inside her bell housing.

Best I can recall the RA would have come with the recoil pull handle like I used on mine when I restored it,
e83cdf4b17c73fcf28df5a134d0bcadf.jpg

The common replacement grips were made by OMC, we put them on every Pioneer back then, like the one on the RA below,
fa81918196578230c905bb693f2b8934.jpg
I've got an RA in my collection, and it sure doesn't look like that. I read somewhere, that the starter was a third party unit, and used by several manufacturers. The name of the company is on the tip of my brain, so if you read of a brain fire tomorrow on the internet, that will be me. I'm thinking Fairbanks.....

Back