Pittsburgh area Stihl ms261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murph015

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of the members of this site own a ms261 or ms291 around pittsburgh they might let make a few cuts with just to make sure I like it before I shell out the money for saws without trying them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
I don't have either one, nor do I live anywhere close to you, but anyone with the name Murphy is OK in my book.

I think you would really like a 261. I also think the 291 is a step up from the 290. If money isn't a deal breaker, I would opt for the 261. Another option would be a 346.

I know these are older models but I believe the comparison should be similar.

I have a Stihl MS260 and my father has the Stihl MS290. I have used both for an extended period of time and my personal preference is the Stihl MS260 all the way. I know it is more expensive but I like the smaller size and less weight. Also, the power seems about the same. The Stihl MS260/1 is a great all around saw.

Good luck with your decision.

i'm close but i don't own either. why don't you go to a good dealer and see if he will let you test run them? alot of dealers will.

from what i understand the 261 and 260 are totally different animals, i imagine the 291 and 290 are also.

one more vote for the 261 over the 291. if i had the cash and was shopping there would be no contest.

I have a little more time to post up some info about myself so I might be able to get some more advice. I have recently installed a woodburner so I need to start cutting wood for my own use. I have been cutting with my dad for my parent's woodburner since I was in my teens, 31 now. He has an 026 and an 028 that is about to be retired. I have an 034 super that my dad tends to gravitate towards when we cut so I let him use it. I would like to run a 261 for a few cuts to make sure I like it compared to the 034 super. My cutting usually isn't huge logs unless that is all we can get a hold of. I know what the 026 runs like and I know what the 034 runs like so I want to make sure I would be happy with the 261. Thanks for any advice.

Another good option to consider is if you can find yourself a Stihl MS361. Its a great saw and since you like the 034 its kind of in the same vein.

He has an 026 and an 028 that is about to be retired.

Ahhh why? REBUILD THEM...if you can of course. If not give them to me :msp_tongue:. But no seriously if they are in half way decent condition get genuine Stihl parts were it makes sense and get the cheaper stuff where you can afford to get away with it.

I would not trade a 034S that is in good shape for a 261. They are pretty close in weight with a decided power advantage going to the 034S. The 261 will be smoother and have better filtration, but the 034S is a great saw with plenty of parts available and an easy lay-out to work on. I agree with the suggestion that you look for a 361.

I think you would love the 261, I'm using two of them in my firewood operation, after they are broke in which will take 15-20 tanks, they are right of the heels of a stock 361. I run my 361 with a 18" 3/8 and the 261's with .325 18" setups. If money isn't a factor I'd take the 261 over the 290/291 any day. I've had the priviledge of cutting side by side with a 310 and the 261 will out cut it.
They have an excellent power band after they are broke in, a very torquey saw, I sold the 346xpne I had to buy the second 261. The 261 hands down out of the box is stronger than a 026/260. A 034 super is really the same saw as the 036, you would prolly lose a little power going from a strong running 034 super. But you gain a saw with the best air filter system on the market, it is unlike any other Stihl you have ever seen, literally once a month is all you need to check it/ clean it, I was doing it once a week, but it was a waste of time. The filter's pleated auto style has much more surface area than any other filter.
It has great anti-vibe, I like the attached bar nuts, can't lose them. It is a rock solid saw, built like the old 028, they didn't cut corners to save 9 oz to make it weigh under the competitor.
We cut logged tops and cull logs mainly, basically a lot of wood 20" and down, as you can see by my list of saws we have plenty of 70cc saws, it seems like every time you look for a 261 it is being used by one of the crew, it has become one of my all time favorite saws, I've owned a bunch of saws in the last 35 years and I think it is as good as any I've ever owned.
I did do a thread the other day comparing the one that is well broke in compared to the one just out of the box, big difference, it does take 15-20 tanks for these saws to break in and develop max power, there was significgant difference in power between the two, I know the new one will start getting stronger with each tank.
They are also extremely easy on fuel use. As far as I'm concerned they are the cat's azz, wish I were closer, I'd let you run one all you wanted, I'd prolly have to pry it out of your hands at the end of the day though. Depending on what we decide to do with our business after this year I may very well buy another one.

I am not getting rid of any saws just looking for 2nd saw for myself. Honestly the 026 is enough saw for most of the stuff we cut so I am leaning towards the 261 but would love to run one before i spend $550ish on a new saw. Right now I am running a 16 inch bar on the 034S so I was thinking about put a 20 on it for larger stuff and then have the 261/291 with a 16 inch bar. My dad has had the 028 for around 30 years so he doesn't know if we wants to put much money into it. When I started thinking about a new saw I was pretty much set on an ms361/036 type saw but don't really want to spend that much money on a new one and I don't really see too many used ones come up around me that aren't way overpriced. They are probably overkill for most of our cutting anyway.

........... I know what the 026 runs like and I know what the 034 runs like so I want to make sure I would be happy with the 261. Thanks for any advice.

I would not trade a 034S that is in good shape for a 261. They are pretty close in weight with a decided power advantage going to the 034S. The 261 will be smoother and have better filtration, but the 034S is a great saw with plenty of parts available and an easy lay-out to work on. I agree with the suggestion that you look for a 361.

I think you would love the 261, I'm using two of them in my firewood operation, after they are broke in which will take 15-20 tanks, they are right of the heels of a stock 361. I run my 361 with a 18" 3/8 and the 261's with .325 18" setups. If money isn't a factor I'd take the 261 over the 290/291 any day. I've had the priviledge of cutting side by side with a 310 and the 261 will out cut it.
They have an excellent power band after they are broke in, a very torquey saw, I sold the 346xpne I had to buy the second 261. The 261 hands down out of the box is stronger than a 026/260. A 034 super is really the same saw as the 036, you would prolly lose a little power going from a strong running 034 super. But you gain a saw with the best air filter system on the market, it is unlike any other Stihl you have ever seen, literally once a month is all you need to check it/ clean it, I was doing it once a week, but it was a waste of time. The filter's pleated auto style has much more surface area than any other filter.
It has great anti-vibe, I like the attached bar nuts, can't lose them. It is a rock solid saw, built like the old 028, they didn't cut corners to save 9 oz to make it weigh under the competitor.
We cut logged tops and cull logs mainly, basically a lot of wood 20" and down, as you can see by my list of saws we have plenty of 70cc saws, it seems like every time you look for a 261 it is being used by one of the crew, it has become one of my all time favorite saws, I've owned a bunch of saws in the last 35 years and I think it is as good as any I've ever owned.
I did do a thread the other day comparing the one that is well broke in compared to the one just out of the box, big difference, it does take 15-20 tanks for these saws to break in and develop max power, there was significgant difference in power between the two, I know the new one will start getting stronger with each tank.
They are also extremely easy on fuel use. As far as I'm concerned they are the cat's azz, wish I were closer, I'd let you run one all you wanted, I'd prolly have to pry it out of your hands at the end of the day though. Depending on what we decide to do with our business after this year I may very well buy another one.

nmurph and indiansprings have summed it up pretty good , I have and run the 026/034/361/066 266/346/2171 and had a chance to run 3 tanks of fuel through a 261 .My thoughts were that it felt like a bigger saw powerwise than it was , still nimble for limbing , as smooth as the 361 with better air filtration .
If I had to buy a saw it would be a 261 because it has too much stuff that is better than the 026/346 that would bump it up to a goto saw .
The 361/362 would not get you to the same step up over your 034 power wise but are a lot better saws if your going to cut all day .
For the type of cutting I do , it would cover most of the bases , your mileage may vary .

if you like your 026/260...the 261 might be too much saw for you...:hmm3grin2orange:

My 261 is not broken in yet but get the 18" bar

I have the 16 and 18 inch bars for my 261, and I'm unlikely to put the 16 back on it. It's not quite long enough for most of my cutting, and it will pull the 16" all day without bogging down in the cut. I'd like the saw to have to work once in a while, and so far it handles the 18" pretty well too.

I can't wait to see how the 261 cuts once I get 15 tanks through it, but I've had to take a little time off for surgery, so it will have to wait another couple weeks.

Go for it.

do a search and readup on what guys here think of the 261. IIRC alot of guys compared it power-wise to a 361, but it was lighter with better air filtration. if it was my dime, for firewood, there would be no other option.

If you can't find one to try out I would take a ride out into the country somewhere and see if there are any dealers who mite have a log out back and let you run one. The Stihl dealers close to my place are pretty much D-bags. They probably won't have one till June or so. The hardware store in Cheswick mite get one but I don't think he'll let you run one. Try that guy out in Valencia, He has a small shop and I hear he's a good dude. Theres that women who runs that shop down by Ambridge who's real nice but she's real small scale and probably wouldn't have a demo saw. If you find someone with a demo let me know. I'm in the market for a new 50cc

If you can't find one to try out I would take a ride out into the country somewhere and see if there are any dealers who mite have a log out back and let you run one. The Stihl dealers close to my place are pretty much D-bags. They probably won't have one till June or so. The hardware store in Cheswick mite get one but I don't think he'll let you run one. Try that guy out in Valencia, He has a small shop and I hear he's a good dude. Theres that women who runs that shop down by Ambridge who's real nice but she's real small scale and probably wouldn't have a demo saw. If you find someone with a demo let me know. I'm in the market for a new 50cc

The stihl shop guy in valencia is a personal friend of mine. He has some test logs out back and would be more than happy to let you try out a new stihl. Best time to reach him is in the evenings or saturdays.

For the sort of cutting you described, I'd say an MS261 all the way! It is a damn fine saw, built like a tank and very powerful for a 50cc saw. I spent a lot of time checking out the MS261 and the Husqvarna 346XP, I finally decided on the latter because it was cheaper used and I need the lighter weight because of some neck problems. But if I hadn't screwed up my neck and I were buying new, it would be the MS261 all the way.

One caveat; Husqvarna will soon release the 346XP replacement, the 550XP, which will totally own the MS261. The 550XP will be lighter, smaller, and at least as powerful as the MS261. But if you need a saw now don't bother waiting, it could be 6 months or more until the 550XP hits the shelves.

Here's some MS261 threads I bookmarked for my own research:

The MS261 is here!!
Members In Depth Review of a new MS261
Stihl 261 or 362?
Best 50cc saw?
Stihl 261 or Husky 346xp?
What makes the MS 261 better than the 346 XP?
Stihl MS 261 VS Husqvarna 346 XP VS Dolmar PS 5105

Back