Plastic Crank Cases

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was wondering, what's the lowest line husky that has a mag case??? Does dolmar make any plastic cased saws?? Andddddd, is it only the MS260 and up that has mag cases for Stihl??? I was trying to do a comparison, but the sites don't list what's plastic and what isn't... Thanks eh?

:cheers: eh???

I was wondering, what's the lowest line husky that has a mag case??? Does dolmar make any plastic cased saws?? Andddddd, is it only the MS260 and up that has mag cases for Stihl??? I was trying to do a comparison, but the sites don't list what's plastic and what isn't... Thanks eh?

:cheers: eh???

Their is only 1 saw in the DOLMAR line I do not carry... PS34 Grrrrrrrrrrr

Scott

nope, not that either.... the cradle on homeowner type saws (not including the 270/280) is made of glass reinforced nylon (PA66-GF), but the engine/crank case is all metal.

Ummmmm

So what's the lowest line saw from Stihl that has this "PA-66" casing??? Is it anything under the pro saws?? And how many years back does this go??? For instance, the older 028's and 029's???

:cheers: eh?

So.. if your talking about the part that matters -the bit that connects the bar to the engine - the MS270/280 in Stihl line is the lowest right now. If you want a mag chain side cover, then it's the 260

So what's the lowest line saw from Stihl that has this "PA-66" casing??? Is it anything under the pro saws?? And how many years back does this go??? For instance, the older 028's and 029's???

:cheers: eh?

The 028 has metal... the 270/280 is metal on the engine cradle with nylon recoil side.

The 029 is Nylon. Why do I say Nylon? 'cos a bunch of the plastic on competing saws is not nylon, and often when it is, it's not reinforced, Like metals, not all "plastic" is created equal.

Last edited:
Kinda

I guess what I"m wondering is what saws have alum or mag crank cases??? I don't care about the covers. I mean like the housing that holds the bottom end of the saw together. If the recoil housing and cover is plastic I could care less, even the chain cover doesn't really matter... Thanks eh?

Then.. lowest cost in new Stihl is 270/280. But i said that in post 11..

Your "plastic CRANK case" threw me in the first post, but I'm back on track.;)

Last edited:
Sorry dude

Then.. lowest cost in new Stihl is 270/280. But i said that in post 11..

Your "plastic CRANK case" threw me in the first post, but I'm back on track.;)

So for stihl, is it all the Mid-range saws that have metal casings with plastic covers?? by that I mean what attaches to the P/C, i.e. the bottom 1/2 of the saw. That's the part I always prefer being alum or mag. which ones are like that Andy??? And how come Stihl doesn't list this info?? Nor does anyone else... Odd eh?

So for stihl, is it all the Mid-range saws that have metal casings with plastic covers?? by that I mean what attaches to the P/C, i.e. the bottom 1/2 of the saw. That's the part I always prefer being alum or mag. which ones are like that Andy??? And how come Stihl doesn't list this info?? Nor does anyone else... Odd eh?

Cuz most of the world don't give a [email protected] AS members do! :hmm3grin2orange:

:cheers:

Last edited:
Anything in the midrange or pro will have your so called "bottom 1/2 of the saw" being mag.

:bang: :bang: :bang:

All the Stihl's have metal on the bottom half of the motor! The part the pisiton/cyl connects to!

and yes, only AS members care...

:bang: :bang: :bang:

All the Stihl's have metal on the bottom half of the motor! The part the pisiton/cyl connects to!

and yes, only AS members care...

LOL I just took out the first part of his statement and shrunk it down to "the bottom half of the saw" ;).

So as a recap cisco these are true statements.
* No portion of the motor assembly (piston, cylinder, crankcase, wristpin, crank, bearings, or clips) on a stihl is plastic or nylon composite. The only exception to this may be the bearing races.

* The so called "bottom half of the saw" is mag on anything midrange and above.

* The so called "bottom half of the saw" is a nylon composite on the homeowner saws. This however is not the crankcase, its more of an cradle assembly that the motor sits on. The gas and oil tank are also part of this so called "cradle assembly".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back