Plastic Crank Cases

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything is about 'cost-down' anymore. Maybe after years of testing Husqvarna found that the plastic cases lasted the 'normal' saw operator just as long as the metal cases. So to them perhaps is was a cost/benefit ratio for them. Provide the high quality saws to those who need it, and provide the cost friendlier saw to Joe Q public. And like most things, those who maintain their equipment and know what to do will make their cheaper stuff last longer than those who buy the expensive pro version and does not take care of it.

Guys, In reality, polycarbonate material ( plastic) are really very strong. Glock hand guns are made of that, 10+years ago they did field trial on guns by shooting thousands of rounds into each one. All the metal ones eventually fail, crack frame and all. They stop test the Glock because it keep on going!!!! Try break a piece of those polycarbonate and you see what I mean.

What ever fiber filled nylon must be very strong too. I have to tell you I am on your side refusing to get any motor that has plastic, I am just stubborn. The the facts are there. Time has change, we are all getting old!!!:cry: Of course, if it is truely make of plastic.....forget it.

Bullet proof vest are not make of metal at all. They are not that strong compare to engineering material. But ...... I still don't want non metal stuff!!!

How often do you see damaged/broken crankcases?

Just wondered what the dealers have seen as far the amount of broken/warped crankcases of plastic versus metal. Thall, Spike,..?

Name a car with a plastic block...

1984-85...Ford made the "Polimotor"...plastic block, plastic rods, cams, Valve stems, piston skirts, oil pan, only metal was the cam lobes, piston caps, rings, and crank..plus some other little things.

Made some 318hp, 2.3 liter engine...

Last edited:
Back