Plastic Crank Cases

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so you mean there are actually saws out there that Do have plastic (or anything non metal, whatever you call it) crankcases?!?!? Wouldn't this make them a structurally a (light) POS?

There's millions Fords, Toyotas and others on the road with plastic/composite Intake Manifolds. I don't see where it's a big deal, it's lighter.

But not a structural part either.

I remember when the 3.0L Duratec would blow the intake to pieces when they backfired.:jawdrop:

so you mean there are actually saws out there that Do have plastic (or anything non metal, whatever you call it) crankcases?!?!? Wouldn't this make them a structurally a (light) POS?
I'm not all that familiar with the structural design of other manufacturer's lower end saws.

yes... there are one or two... can't rememebr which but I'm sure some Husky guy will volunteer the info :popcorn:

attachment.php

Yes ..

Husky 350,455,460 ect have that actual lower crank case made from plastic.....Picture is from a ebay sale of a jred version

Last edited:
How long do they expect these plastics to last? Do they expect people to treat them like new-borns? Not that i was ever planning on getting a husky though :D

attachment.php

Here is a 455 rancher that lasted about 3 months after I found the crack. It was cracked to the black line and it finally made it to the crankcase and had bad air leak and died.......The owner said he would run it till it died.....It sure did......

Last edited:
Thanks Steve for the pics.

And to think those scandinavians have the nerve to pick on the homeowner stihl saws ;).

Aren't the 340 and 345 also plastic cases too?

Thought they were the same chassis as the 350.

plastic crankcases

My uncle has a 45 Special Husqvarna with a plastic lower crankcase that is 15 or more years old and goes through 3 chains a year, has had a tree on it and shows no sign of failure or slowing down.There are good ones and bad ones in every bunch.I've seen magnesium crankcase flaws as well as the ones shown on the 455 rancher.

Back