Please confirm diagnosis

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby Kirbos

Scrounger of Cellulose Based BTUs
Reaction score
My 2005 PP3516 is being stupid.
Symptoms:
  1. Saw dies when transitioning from WOT to idle after the cut.
  2. No matter how I dial in the low needle, the saw idles rich.
Diagnosis:
Time for a carb kit.
Yes? No? Other problem?

I believe that carb has 2 check valves, one in the body where the idle circuit gets its fuel and another as a nozzle check valve on the high speed jet. If the idle one is sticking open or has been destroyed by cleaning with compressed air, it will have the effect you are describing when you go to idle after the cut. If the main jet check valve is defective, it will usually cause a variable lean running condition at idle. Are you sure the idle is too rich rather than too lean?

I believe that carb has 2 check valves, one in the body where the idle circuit gets its fuel and another as a nozzle check valve on the high speed jet. If the idle one is sticking open or has been destroyed by cleaning with compressed air, it will have the effect you are describing when you go to idle after the cut. If the main jet check valve is defective, it will usually cause a variable lean running condition at idle. Are you sure the idle is too rich rather than too lean?

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's rich. The idle speed drops when I pick up the saw. If I let the saw idle on the ground it will die. The only way to get it restarted is at throttle lock with no choke, and it's a pull-on to get it restarted. The smell of fuel is very present during the pull-on process. Once it does restart at throttle lock, it sounds like it's idling for a few seconds then starts to wind up to throttle lock speed - like it's burning off the extra fuel and finally winds up once it can breathe again.

I think I'll do the $20-ish kit from Amazon and do the fuel lines as well.

(I think the current Poulan offering that most closely resembles my saw is the PP3314.)
The rest of the saw is still in good shape considering the number of miles that are on it. It has an inboard clutch. It's not an AV saw, but the piston and cylinder look good. 42cc with an 18" bar - it pulls a full chisel chain through that silver maple like a MoFo. The only exception being that the front bar lug has started to pull through the plastic housing. I blame the stupid InTenz bar that I ran for years (not knowing any better). I've since changed it out to a clutch cover mounted tensioner. Like I said, it's a good spare saw, truck saw.

I haven't taken it off the saw yet. Here's one from the interwebs.
9eb61224-41d1-4d88-828a-81c70557735e.jpg

Back