Please confirm diagnosis

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 06 wild thing is a stratos, they have been out for awhile. The upper butterfly let's in straight air at a certain throttle angle, wide open when carb is wide open. It's to reduce emissions. Other saws that don't, usually have a converter in the muffler or some other means to reduce emissions.

Steve

I knew the carb had that extra butterfly and wondered about it, but never thought about it being a strato.

YEAH, I learned something today.

Perhaps a stupid question... is there anything to gained by defeating the upper strato butterfly and forcing it to stay closed?

I knew the carb had that extra butterfly and wondered about it, but never thought about it being a strato.

YEAH, I learned something today.

Perhaps a stupid question... is there anything to gained by defeating the upper strato butterfly and forcing it to stay closed?
If you disable the upper butterfly, it will run fine with a HUGE loss of power (I tried it). I bought the same carb with the rod that drives the upper butterfly and installed it on a similar Poulan. It worked fine but I had to shorten the rod as it was too long and bumped into another part of the saw.

When I first came across a Poulan with that carb, thought it was a two barrel for more power. The more I messed with it the more I learned it was for air only. I covered top port off and noticed it had no power. Also discovered that they tuned different than I was used to. Had to open the needles up more than a normal carb and took a little longer to tune correctly. Now I have no problem setting them.

Steve

When I first came across a Poulan with that carb, thought it was a two barrel for more power. The more I messed with it the more I learned it was for air only. I covered top port off and noticed it had no power. Also discovered that they tuned different than I was used to. Had to open the needles up more than a normal carb and took a little longer to tune correctly. Now I have no problem setting them.

Steve
I thought the same thing.

Thanks guys. I'll run it like it's designed to be run. Just asking the question...

does it idle rich after you've given it full throttle? it's very likely that with typical AS tuning that saw is crazy rich on the high speed. to much fuel left over from the high speed can create a stall or rich idle when it transitions back to the low. ass backwards compared to what those carbs usually do when they need a kit.

does it idle rich after you've given it full throttle? it's very likely that with typical AS tuning that saw is crazy rich on the high speed. to much fuel left over from the high speed can create a stall or rich idle when it transitions back to the low. ass backwards compared to what those carbs usually do when they need a kit.

I hear what you're saying and thought the same thing. I did have it pig rich at the top end for a while, but dialed it back. It was so rich that it was 4 stroking through the cut. I figured out the difference between 4 stroking and hitting the rev limiter. :rock2: Once I figured this out, I leaned out the top end and it runs much better at the top end. Idle performance, whether in the transition or sitting on the ground and chugging away, was not changed by this top end adjustment.

Estimated delivery: Monday, April 16, 2018
Package current status In transit

ProcessedIn transitDelivered
DATE TIME LOCATION STATUS
Apr 15 12:00 AM In transit to next facility
Apr 14 12:00 AM In transit to next facility
Apr 13 1:46 PM Louisville Ky Distribution Center Arrived at USPS regional origin facility
Apr 13 12:00 AM In transit to next facility
Apr 12 3:31 PM Loretto, KY, United States Departed post office
Loading ...

Data from usps.com
  • [URL='https://www.usps.com/']USPS - Official Site
[/URL]

Latest posts

Back