Please critique my grinding.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
redfin

redfin

Fish & Chips!!!
The timing numbers are more important than how smooth or good looking. My hands are bad shaky but my engines WORK!!!

The trick is to get the air to go where and when you want.

I agree.

Looks like ya need a bit more practice.
Being the nice guy that I am , I guess I could let you practice some more on one of mine...:D

Sure, just don't be all meaners and stuff if its a big turd. :)

MaddBomber

MaddBomber

ArboristSite Operative
Even without adjusting the timing, it will flow alot better than stock. With a quality muffmod and tuned, it'll make noticeably more power.

spindrift7mm

spindrift7mm

Changing the World One Saw at a time !
Work looks good. Keep an eye on port shape as you can square up the general shape and gain more flow without approaching max width which is where many cyls get ruined by ports eating a ring. Read up on each models port style and shapes, lots of good pics and info on the forums. I would highly recommend getting a degree wheel and start checking timing numbers and you'll be surprised how quickly it'll start making sense when you see the action first hand. Tlandrum had a very simple description of how to rotate thru each port and get your #s. Really the timing on some saws can be twice the gain over porting and of coarse together make a real runner. Hope this info helps. Ken

Mines real rough by comparison. I'm considering removing the dust before assembly in the future.

155290630.lEnR3jEz.jpg

Rx7man

Rx7man

Cattle Rubbing Post
I don't know how the cylinder lines up with the crankcase, but I had to cut out a LOT on the cylinder and crankcase sides to get a smooth transition on the transfer ports. I didn't muddle with the openings of the TP's, but did a lot of blending on the runners.
I really like how the saw runs now with the porting, as well as a bigger carb.
I found the saw likes about a 30:1 mix now though, while before it was 40:1.