PM610 recoil pulley plastic vs. metal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Gauge

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Are they interchangeable?

Turns out the recoil pulley on my PM610 was shattered underneath, causing it to grab the nut and pull it tight.

Should have taken it apart first thing, instead of spending all summer and fall running around trying to figure out which hardware store had the brass thrust bushings.

There are two different types of "posts" in the starter housing on the 600 Series saws so the starter pulleys are not all interchangeable. I wish I could give you a definitive answer on how to tell the difference, but I just keep swapping pulleys or starter housings until I get a proper fit.

If I get into the attic with my phone/camera I will try to document the differences. I think you can tell them apart by the way the pulley is held in place; older models used a screw and washer to hold the starter pulley in place, later models used a type of carriage bolt. I believe the aluminum starter pulley will work with the carriage bolt arrangement but please don't buy one until I can confirm that.

My notes say 219163 fits the starters with the larger diameter post, 216758 and others fit the smaller post...not really much help.

Mark

Can't find any number anywhere on the pulley. So I took a shot and bought the 2-pack OEM. Hopefully they fit. The cost of my $5 chainsaw is now up to $45, and I'll have a spare pulley.

As long as nobody sneezes on the recoil until the parts come in.

Which pulley did you purchase? How is it attached (screw w/washer or carriage bolt through the starter)?

The best I can determine from looking at the parts I have on hand is that 92473 is a plastic starter pulley that only fits the starter covers with the single screw holding the pulley in place.

216758 and 219163 are the aluminum pulley to fit the starter covers with the carriage bolt.

214293 is a plastic starter pulley to fit the starter covers with the carriage bolt.

There is a visual difference between 92473 and 214293.

20231115_154928.jpg

20231115_155005.1.jpg

The "larger bore" drums seem to fit the smaller posts O.K., but 92473 will bind if you try to use it on a starter with the carriage bolt and larger starter post.

Mark

Mark Heimann

Latest posts

Back