Poison oak/ivy on some logs.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
uh oh

I dont mean to hijack the thread here but I saw the heading and thought I gotta see this cause aside from the leaves I could be right in front of me and I would not know it.
Anyone got dormant photo's of this stuff?
I got a few pic's here just to see if this is what you guys are talkin

View attachment 224161View attachment 224162View attachment 224163

Last edited:
Harmless English ivy, but you really don't want it crawling up your trees (or your house).

Remember, leaflets three, leave it be.

Couple more ID guides for PI:

very shiny upper surface of leaves,

distinct red tint of leaf petiole (stem) and other bits.

I used to be extremely sensitive, and can still spot PI at 40 yds; sensitivity has gone.
English Ivy is trying to take over some areas around here.

The oil is worse in the vines themselves, more concentrated. I had had a run in with it for 30 years but as you say Fido got me about 3 years ago. Winter makes no difference. Not to bad, certainly not like I got nailed several times in my late teens and early 20's. Worst case I ever got was in the dead of winter, I had a bunch of boy scouts out for merit badge work, never even saw the vines, buried under the snow. A week later looked like something from one of the 50's cheap horror flicks.

I dont mean to hijack the thread here but I saw the heading and thought I gotta see this cause aside from the leaves I could be right in front of me and I would not know it.
Anyone got dormant photo's of this stuff?
I got a few pic's here just to see if this is what you guys are talkin

Looks like it's PI. Better safe than itching or worse.

Remember, it doesn't have to be a vine. They can also be knee-high plants and those are tough to ID leafless. I can take some pics of some of both in a bit, pouring rain at the moment.

I have a hillside that is covered in the low plants. Gotta take care when walking on it or you slip and roll in the plants.

afraid its a little late since that was from my last score of cherry. Thats been sitting for a month, I had vines like that all over em and they were like trees that wined most of the way up the tree. At the base the vine was more like a tree, it was about an inch in diameter then turned into those. (I just ripped most of it off) I will try and grab a pic tonight when I get home of the real thick stuff. The load I got over the weekend had whatever that is on it. I was not affected by that cherry at all but I wear gloves and a full set of carhearts

View attachment 224269

That load had 1 vine/tree that I could not even rip off!
So, if we get a positive ID then I guess we know what it looks like dormant.

Since I cut those vines off on a regular basis anywhere near the yard there are usually plenty of dead ones hanging around. One year when I was burning off brush a couple of those dead hairy vines caught on fire - those things burned right up the side of the tree, some 30' or so. Kept on burning until the whole vine was consumed too - was like a giant roman candle shooting off sparks and flaming bits. Pretty cool.

Well, the pics weren't the greatest but might help some. There is a fungus thingydoo on the tree that obscures the vine a bit. The pic on the ground is a piece of the same vine cut from the tree.

I took some pics of the plants, but they didn't come out very good and they don't look much different than ordinary young trees. I'd have a hard time picking them out if I didn't already know what they are.

FWIW....

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I strip the vines off before I cut it up with gloves I only use for this. Sometimes I still end up getting a bit right behind the cuff of the glove. Poison ivy vines seems especially prevalent in the wild cherry around here.

Been there, breathed it(as a kid), touched it(accidently), been in all kinds of trouble because of it. The doctor lets me keep an extra tube of steroid cream just for it. If it gets bad, prednisone pills and the shot, yeah it takes both for me. I have access to some locust and oak(huge), just not worth it for the price I will pay in weeping sores and pain. In my honest opinion the two ways most people get it are from their pets and the small plants that come up on the hillsides like the plague. Hard to ID until you are right on them.

Shea

Do not burn any ivy in your stove. We were burning some brush on my property when we bought the land and a friend of mine inhaled the smoke and it got in his lungs and he had to go to the hospital because his airway swelled shut. It didnt affect me at all but he was on steroids for months to recover. It wasnt even poison ivy it was a strand called virginia creeper it has five leaves. If you do have ivy or vines on your wood cut up the logs into 3 or 4 foot sections and then smack it with a hatchet or heavy machete and it will come right off.

I strip the vines off before I cut it up with gloves I only use for this. Sometimes I still end up getting a bit right behind the cuff of the glove. Poison ivy vines seems especially prevalent in the wild cherry around here.

LoL, Yup had a land owner tell me to "have at it" he had pushed over 2 Large wild cherry trees with his end loader and then the frontage of the property was all cut down but the wood was just laying there?
Just thought I was lucky but as I am begining to find out, the whole area is covered in IVY I guess cause most of the trees have those huge vines! I went to town and cut up some rounds and brought it home and as I split it I pulled most of those vines off but now that I know what it is I am going to go back through it all and take off the bark just to be safe. Dont want anyone to get harmed. I will dump it all at the local compost and not burn it. (gotta be an acre of compost going over there that the county runs)

Makes me wonder if the land owner knew that was IVY hand just wanted rid of it, if so thats pretty evil dont ya think!
Seems Like I am immune or VERY lucky since I split and stacked the cherry. heres the rounds from the cherry before I split it.

View attachment 224822View attachment 224823
224823d1329664486-photo-jpg

224822d1329664456-photo-1-jpg

Notice the vines on the rounds at the end of the stack?

Lol Got the picure thing figured out..:blob2:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back