Pole saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnadoc

Reaction score
Hello, I'm sort of new here. I lurked a year or two back before buying my 346xp, but just registered today. I also have a 338XP which I'm thinking about replacing with a pole saw. I bought the 338 for wading into tops after I had a small patch timbered, but now I like the 346 so much that I hardly use the 338.

After renting a crappy pole saw, I can't get over feeling that I 'd get more use out of one of them than the 338, and in fact a pole saw might even be safer than wading into a top to knock off the limbs I don't want to burn. Can anyone offer some advice on pole saws? Obviously, I'm partial to Husqvarna, but I have some Stihl stuff too, and I'm still open minded.

I am very happy with my stihl kombi km90 so far. I cut down some small trees last year with the polesaw&extension attachment. Also bought the articulating hedgetrimmer&weedwacker head. And the blower attachment i just got a couple weeks ago. Dont ask me what i paid for all of it. I blocked that part out. Seriously. This is the first 4mix unit i've used, and the torque is impressive.

Im sure husky has something, but I've only ever seen tree guys using stihl, even guys who are made keen husky fanatics to the point that they even use the awful husky climbing saws :hmm3grin2orange:

A good used ht101 can be had for reasonable dollars, and is a good option if the extension works well. We use them on our crew and I dont mind them, but i also have a silky hayauchi which is a handwas on the end of a pole. My pole saw gets way more extension than power pole saws (goes out to about 25'), is lighter, better ballanced, and on branches up to about 2" diameter is faster than a powered saw. They aren't cheap, but they are nice to use and last a long time, don't use any petrol and are silent. I've made a fortune with mine, and I use it nearly every day.

Shaun

I have a HT75 which is a several year out of production, stihl. It uses the same power head as several of stihls hand held products including other polesaws and trimmers. I like it. I think it is lighter than the 4 stroke versions. The key to successful use is to keep the chain sharp, make an under cut bf you start on the top cut, and remember you will cut up a lot of stuff in hurry.
I see these models on CL and Ebay pretty often for $200-250.

The Husky that is similar in size to the HT 101 is about $550. The HT 101 was $599.99. I am told take care of the shaft - the cost to replace it is about $400.

Bought a HT 101 about a month ago. Impressed with what it could do. We will see six months from now how impressed I still am.

Hal

I Just bought the Husky 327P5x last week, It's Great & has a 12" Bar but it is not extendable (or retractable) it's 11 1/2 feet long no matter what. I wish I had done more homework and found this out before I bought it. I don't allways need it to be 11 1/2 long, sometimes I'd like it shorter. Do your homework....

I have a well used, well maintained X326PS and wouldn't trade it, it does exactly what I need a pole saw to do. I have several filbert ( Hazelnut) trees on the property, along with walnut, doug firs and other misc trees, so it's a ritual with pruning around here. My burn pile is never ending, not good for the local Fire Chief!! :msp_wink:

I just stopped by my local Husky/Echo dealer, and they don't stock the Husky. They said most of their customers want the telescoping Echo.

I just stopped by my local Husky/Echo dealer, and they don't stock the Husky. They said most of their customers want the telescoping Echo.

Homeowners....:msp_biggrin:

If you cant afford a HT101 or a HT131...save more money until you can....

Nothing else comes close...:clap:

I have a ht131 that I bought 2 years ago(brand new) for 650. Gets used about everyday and it is still going strong. Well worth what I payed for it.

Do they want the Echo because it is cheaper or better? Your dealer should be able to order the Husky for you.

I have a consumer grade, telescoping, manual saw with a slightly better blade. If I was using it alot, I would go with a pro grade blade like a Fanno or Silky, as the blade is everything.

I also have a consumer grade, electric, telescoping pole saw that works for me, but probably not for your use. I like the extended reach that keeps me out of trees and off of ladders.

It sounds like you might be using yours alot, that you appreciate performance, and will want one that will hold up. But you might not need the telescoping reach if you are not using it for pruning. The fixed length shaft models are less expensive, and should have fewer maintenance issues.

Philbert

Homeowners....:msp_biggrin:

If you cant afford a HT101 or a HT131...save more money until you can....

Nothing else comes close...:clap:

I think this is where I'm headed. I can afford an HT, but sometime it just takes me a while to come to grips with the price. It's not a matter of economic justification, because I can't.

I have friends who derive satisfaction from accomplishing a task as cheaply as possible, and if cheap cobbled together crap tools get the job done, they are happy. Not me. I derive satisfaction from using high quality tools.

I run a small tree business and have had the Echo PPT265 for just under two years with no issues. A peek into a lot of tree co's here sees the Echo units putting in the hard yards with not too many issues.

Money wasn't the deciding factor, the Echo unit stretched just a tad further, not by reading the sales brochure but by putting them on the ground and measuirng. The Echo unit had a better protected fuel tank. It has a large heavy plastic cover doing the job and I just guessed that this area would be the first thing hitting the ground when adjusting for reach etc. The engine makes good power and saws through limbs effectively enough.

Dislikes are the handle positioning. I have to hold my hand under the handle to get to the silly throttle lock button. The chain adjuster is also a tad on the flimsy side I reckon. Due to that I make all the adjustments to the chain as I tend to take more care. For that reason I reckon it has lasted but if other crew got their hands on it I wouldn't be so sure.

You can buy an extension for these things if you wish to go higher. Stihl also has one but from memory, it's angled.

As for starting I wish every powered tool I own started as easy as this thing.

I have a Echo power head with the extension and a pole saw attachment. That think is great and it even out cuts a friends Stihl 110r kombi. Also you can't beat there warranty. I know I am going to get harassed, but I like the Echo stuff.

Latest posts

Back