Poll: How many of you use hardcases for your chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use hardcases when storing or transporting your chainsaws?

• Yes

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 48 72.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If I spend any more money on saw parts right now my wife will throw me out of the house, haha.
Well then I better not put up a pic of cases as then all you see you will have not grabbed. :) The funny thing is my wife wanted me to save all the cases when I was going burn them. She wanted me to scrap the saws though.

Ive tried hard cases, not worth the hassle. I have a brand new stihl one that my 310 came in that I will never use. I have always used a simple chain guard

Attachments

• 1670725343094.png
    1670725343094.png
    159.2 KB · Views: 0
Ive tried hard cases, not worth the hassle. I have a brand new stihl one that my 310 came in that I will never use. I have always used a simple chain guard
I see your name. I assume you used to live in Iowa. What part of the fine state of Iowa did you live in?

South central part of the state, a little town called Arispe
Never been in that exact area. It is about 3.5 hours west of me whether you take I-80 or 34. I have rarely ever been west of I-35. That should be cattle country out there.

I use them.

The new Stihl case is reasonably smart- essentially just a power head case, provide your own scabbard, it's got legit hinges, and a clasps are solid.

But, I liked the old version that came with a scabbard for up to 20" bar- it's much more compact than the new version. When I bought four new saws last month, I found the old stihl cases on eBay and bought three of them for my saws with 20" and under bars. The 500i I went with the new design case; I believe it's too big for the old style, and with a 25" bar, it wouldn't fit in the scabbard anyway..

As to why? Well, even though it's a tool, I like to keep my tools in as good of shape as possible. Also keeps any mess the saw creates contained. Easy to carry extra tools / parts / chains in the case. And it keeps the mice from taking up home under the plastic.

I use them.

The new Stihl case is reasonably smart- essentially just a power head case, provide your own scabbard, it's got legit hinges, and a clasps are solid.

But, I liked the old version that came with a scabbard for up to 20" bar- it's much more compact than the new version. When I bought four new saws last month, I found the old stihl cases on eBay and bought three of them for my saws with 20" and under bars. The 500i I went with the new design case; I believe it's too big for the old style, and with a 25" bar, it wouldn't fit in the scabbard anyway..

As to why? Well, even though it's a tool, I like to keep my tools in as good of shape as possible. Also keeps any mess the saw creates contained. Easy to carry extra tools / parts / chains in the case. And it keeps the mice from taking up home under the plastic.
Ever have a old style Stihl 2 piece "woodsman" they were liked a lot.

Well then I better not put up a pic of cases as then all you see you will have not grabbed. :) The funny thing is my wife wanted me to save all the cases when I was going burn them. She wanted me to scrap the saws though.
My wife started noticing more chainsaws around (I completely blame this site for my saws multiplying) so try to be crafty about hiding their numbers. Luckily they all look the same to the typical wife, so unless they are seen in the same place at the same time "that's the same yellow saw that I was using before..."
The saw cases work in my favor...

My wife started noticing more chainsaws around (I completely blame this site for my saws multiplying) so try to be crafty about hiding their numbers. Luckily they all look the same to the typical wife, so unless they are seen in the same place at the same time "that's the same yellow saw that I was using before..."
When you get to 600 they notice.

Ever have an old style Stihl 2 piece "woodsman" they were liked a lot.
That’s the old style I’m talking about.

Only deficiency on the last version of it is the lack of a real, pinned hinge. With the plastic web hinge instead, that over time can break.

My father bought an 026 sometime between 97 and 98, and got the woodsman case with it. He had two yellow zinc plated screnches that fit in the holder on the scabbard REALLY well. They would never fall out, and it took some force to snap them in and out.

Well, in the last 2 years, I managed to lose both of them. Or at least, I no longer have them. I’m not ruling out the possibility that they walked away. The silver screnches are as loose as an 80yr old hooker in there.

For things you want to buy more of- keep them in a place she doesn’t / can’t go, and never allow her to see the full collection.

Then, if she’s the type to possibly recognize one she’s never seen before, keep new ones stored away for more than 12 months.

When you finally bring it out and she says “is that a new one?!?!?” You reply “no, I’ve had it for a long time.” Over a year is a fairly long time, and it isn’t new anymore.

I do this with firearms all the time. My wife has no idea how many or what I have.

I do recognize, this is easier to do with firearms, kept in a safe that she can’t get into. It’s a bit harder of a tactic to use with saws… but so far, she’s got no idea I’ve bought four new and one used saw in the last month! 😂

So glad I don't have to hide stuff from my significant other. Even if I had 600 saws, as long as they're not taking over the house and I'm taking care of my responsibilities, when I get number 601, her only response would be "that's nice, I hope it makes you happy."

You’re a lucky man.

My wife is an absolute penny pincher. I guess that’s a good thing mostly, but she’s got like, no hobbies. Easy to not spend anything when your hobby is working 60+ hrs a week.

So glad I don't have to hide stuff from my significant other. Even if I had 600 saws, as long as they're not taking over the house and I'm taking care of my responsibilities, when I get number 601, her only response would be "that's nice, I hope it makes you happy."

we have an understanding. So long as the bills are paid it doesn't matter what we buy. She still naggs me a little when she sees a new saw, gun, rc car ect.. but it's more just to ruffle my feathers then anything.

You guys that want to put on bar condoms are soft! I have 4 hard cases that I keep my saw, oil, fuel, chaps, gloves, axe, pickeroon, and maintenance tools in. Everything in its place and a place for everything. Go hard or go home!

Back