popular is it worth the effort

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allstihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
im not a wood snob . im burning 2x scrap now .ive never taken any popular in the past. the land behind me is getting cleared ,its all popular , I can have all I want , 100+cords . is popular worth the effort ?

im not a wood snob . im burning 2x scrap now .ive never taken any popular in the past. the land behind me is getting cleared ,its all popular , I can have all I want , 100+cords . is popular worth the effort ?
Poplar burns fast and hot.It will keep you warm but you will be loading the stove often.Up to you as to whether it's worth the effort.100 + cords is a lot of wood,any kind of wood.

Poplar is good wood, especially if all you have to cut it with is a Husky. Easy to cut and usually easy to split. I have 200 logs that were 12' long cut into 36" long rounds right now. Ready to be split for my owb. If you are storing and burning in an inside burner you will be keeping busy. Any chance you have a market for campfire wood as that would be a better use for it? I have pics and there are a few good threads on poplar.

At least Unc is popular.

I like burning poplar. it cuts and splits easy. smells sweet when it burns, (depending on what kind of poplar) plus there is more btu's in 1oo lbs of poplar than in 100 lbs of oak.

I like Poplar too, it might not cut it in January, but right now Poplar and Pine are keeping us warm and saving my Oak, Ash, and Locust for later on when it is really needed.
100 cords?! I'd be on it like white on rice as long as I had the time to do it! Could sell some too, might not bring top dollar but I'd think you could still make a few bucks

I had asked the same question about basswood. . The problem I am having is that I have been selling firewood for quite a few years, and it is killing have to burn oak and hickory that I can get good money for. I have been getting $150 a face delivered. I might be better off selling the wood and turning the electric baseboards on... So I have been burning any junk wood I have laying around. I even cut a broken shovel handle in half and burned it.

Poplar has been keeping my living room, dining room and kitchen between 75 and 80 during the day and dies down fast in the evening so we can get some sleep without it being too hot

Our first half cord for the season is been poplar. No complaints, kept us warm (as needed) for about 6 weeks and saved better wood for later. I don't mind about a half cord a season! Not sure I'd want 100 cords unless i was going to sell (great campfire wood) or wanted to tend the stove constantly once it cools down.

Burning some right now. Seasoned 2yrs. No kindling needed. Big splits light off with a few wads of newspaper.

i have a cord of poplar I've been burning though to take the chill off the house and its great for it. Get my wood for cheap or free and poplar is worth free! And splitting is so dang easy....better than that sweet gum I got....

If you have access to hardwood use that first. Otherwise poplar/aspen is fine, just plan to burn double what you would with good hardwood.

If it's that close to your house and free, I think you would be crazy not to take it. I have an open invitation to remove poplar a mile from my house. I have been there once this season so far. I will go back again but lately I have had more than enough oak and pecan to keep me busy C/S/S. I have no problems burning poplar. As many have stated already, it burns hot and fast but keep the splits big and it will last a bit longer. Burn the poplar during the day when you have the time to tend the fire and throw the oak in there for the overnight burn.
The best thing about poplar to me is that you can easily split it with a Fiskars X27. Gives you a good workout without wearing you out.

Latest posts

Back