Ported 70cc work saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M&Rtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've not seen a thread focused on Ported 70cc saws. I would like to know what are the favorites and why? Which is the fastest and which pulls a long bar with the most authority. I live in Florida and the most I see is Muffler Modded saws. We don't have GTG's at most two friends come over and compare stock saws. I've heard the Xpw talk, 7900's and 461's.
What are we talking cut time difference in a log? I also seen a post about Cylinders cracking in hard use?

I would like to help you out, but my 044 is not ported yet, but it would be nice to see some responses. From what I have heard ported saws often cut 30 - 40% faster than stock, and "woods porting" is intended to stand up to everyday use. But I am certainly not the expert, so I hope those with experience chime in.

Ya I understand the point and the increased cut time averages. What I'm getting at is the differences in between models and cut speeds.

70cc saws- I have a stock 12mm 044, ported 272xp, and a 75cc 2171. Strongest for sure is the 2171 but I really enjoy the other two as well. Randy has claimed that the 441cm's he builds will humiliate a 372xp. Supposedly they are crazy strong. Never ran a 460 or 461 but imagine they are just a "better" version of a 044 with a slight weight penalty. (?) I have owned a ported 7901 and it was a real runner.

I had really thought that the 044 was good enough as is and that I wouldnt port it- but that leaves it the odd ball out in my stable so it and the 241cm are next after Randy finishes the 064, 254, and 262. That may be mid summer since I told him to put his newer customer's first and I would take a back seat and wait til he had time.

Lets say Muffler Modded, Squish band cut and Ported what would you invest your money in, on a 28 inch bar?

441CM or wait till the new Husqvarna comes out. Which is what I would do personally as I like Husky. But, that's just me. Plenty of other good saws out there.

441CM or wait till the new Husqvarna comes out. Which is what I would do personally as I like Husky. But, that's just me. Plenty of other good saws out there.
See this is shocking to me as both my 372 and 576 have been faster in a cut than two different 441 cm's. So this is telling me they really, really take to porting.

See this is shocking to me as both my 372 and 576 have been faster in a cut than two different 441 cm's. So this is telling me they really, really take to porting.
True. I'm not sayin the 441 is faster, just a really good saw. I've got a ported xpw that I like a lot.

The fastest 70cc saws I've ever seen were 372XPs. I run a 28" bar on mine. Next would be a 460 or 440/460 hybrid. Next would be a 461. The 461 would be the easiest to operate and most user friendly, with it's wide and smooth powerband.

I believe my current 372s are stronger than this one, but no vids.

From all I've run 461>372xpw. 576 and 441 are in there somewhere also. I've not got any runtime on a 441. I've got several videos on my YouTube of different models.

Really, my 441c hands my buddies 372 which is stock with a mm a pretty good woopin in 20-24'' wood and his saw is in tip top running order.

I'm not sure you can really go wrong with any of the saws mentioned
+1, All those will take to porting nicely and put a big smile on your face :). My personal fav @ 70 cc's is an XPW.
I have not heard issues of "Cracking of cylinders" under conditions of hard use of "properly" woods-ported saws???
After all, there's a reason they call them "Work-Saws" and reliability is crucial part of that equation.

Back