Ported 70cc work saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the weight and great handling, a ported 372 (71cc) is tough to beat. A 441 is just a pig compared to svelte handling of the 372 (for a 70cc...044's handle just as well, but have rubber AV).

My 044 is a very nice saw and compression is great. The member I got it from on here said that he has owned many 044-440's and that this one pulled harder than any of the others. I have owned many 71cc stihls myself and the 044 that I have now really stands out. Anyhow my 441c will hand it a woopin also. As for the 441 being a pig...what is it less than a pound in difference? My 70cc 25-28'' saw is not my limbing saw by any means.

The weight difference bw a 441C and a 044 is more like 1.5 lbs.

I've owned a 441 and it was less than impressive. The 441C is stronger, but it's not night/day. It's more like the difference bw 6.30am vs 6.51am.

An 044/372 feel more like a large 60cc. The 441 feels more like a large 70cc. I will take a 7900 over a 441 for feel, weight, and handling...but that's my opinion.

I was not impressed with the 441 either. I am more impressed with my 441c than any other saw I have owned in stock form and this is just my opinion also. No hard feelings or any of the like from here buddy just talking saws.

As for the 1-1.5lbs on my bucking saw heck my body weight goes up and down 3-4lbs on a daily basis lol

Brad hit the nail on the head with his answer. That's exactly what I was asking about. The 441cm is a nice saw but like I said it just didn't impress me in stock form. My 044 is light and easy to use I love it, but we are talking ported monsters not stock saws.

I had a Masterminded 576xp for a short while before I found a buyer for it. I ran it only one/two tanks and at the time I had nothing to compare it to directly. It was sure powerful, but the one thing I noticed of how smooth it ran with all that power.

Since we are jumping up to talk about larger cc's, what are the differences between a 394xp and 390xp?

372 has a 24, 576 lives with a 28 techlite with no problems. My 385 has a 32 lightweight. My 394 has a 36. That's the way I use them per job right now.

All your saws are top notch. If you are just wanting to start with one ported saw then port the saw that you use the most. or the saw that is the most comfortable to use. All of your saws will be impressive when ported. No need to try to pick a clumbsy saw over a more favorable saw just because you heard it would be the fastest.

I would probably get the 372xp ported if I had to pick from your 70cc's. Or find a 75cc cylinder and piston to put on your 372xp

My train of thought was to do a Xpw top end for the extra torque. But maybe its not needed.

Now this is just my opinion, but I think the XPW thing is more CAD hype than anything else. I'm taking about ported saws now. Perhaps there's some merit to them stock, as they were designed to be used, but I believe the 71cc 372XP is the cats meow.

Cats meow! ha ha, I'll agree it may be a CAD thing, I have hardly any run time on 372's but I have a couple I picked up this spring and hope to get some experience with them. I only assumed that the extra cc's would be that much better when ported. I will side with Brads experience!

The weight difference between a 044 and 441 is not 1.5 lbs, in fact it is less than .5 lb. Fully fueled (the 044 holds a little more, because the 441 is more efficient) they weight the same. Yes the 044 is less bulky, but for bucking I never noticed the difference. I owned both saws at the same time. so I know.

The old weights published for the 044 are flat out wrong. They said it was 13 lbs even. Anyone who picks up my 362 and 044, side by side can tell they are not the same wt., not even close. Conversely, doing the same test between the 441 and 044, no one could tell the difference, and I had many people try. On the scale, fully fueled with 20" bar and chain, the 044 and 441 were both 18.5 lbs.

The 441 C is likely the best stock 70 cc bucking saw out there, and ported it is Randy's favorite. However, I have heard the 372 also responds very well to porting. The only Auto Tune saw over 70 cc is actually heavier than the 441 C (but in fairness, it is also more cc).

Latest posts

Back