Ported 70cc work saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on what the user wants in the end. I've had a dozen 372s, and a few 046s and 460s. I currently have a very early 12mm 044 that is probably may favorite 70cc saw I've ever had. Its just a stock cylinder with a dual port muffler and I haven't meet a stock 372 yet that would want any part of it. It'll still 4 stroke at 15K easily, but I don't tune it that lean for work, and it'll pull a 28'' full comp in hardwood no problemo. It runs well enough stock that I've not even thought about porting it.

I do feel like as far as a work saw, the stihls have a little stronger bottom ends in them.....JMO again.

The early 12 mm may have the same jug as a 10 mm, and I think that is what makes the difference in performance. Had to get my 046 ported, not that it did not run good, it just was not stronger than my 044s! (It no longer has that problem)

The early 12 mm may have the same jug as a 10 mm, and I think that is what makes the difference in performance. Had to get my 046 ported, not that it did not run good, it just was not stronger than my 044s! (It no longer has that problem)
Its not the same jug, mine is straight fin, but the port timing is very close to the same when I compared the numbers to a 10mm saw.

Back